Compiz Watereffect not working

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Compiz Watereffect not working

Post by MSt1982 »

Hi,
since several releases of Mate (years ago it was fine) I am getting more and more problems (here and there my hardware changed, too) - however,
my actual problem is that with my GTX 660 since some releases of Mate the compiz-water-effect does not work anymore.

I activate it in the settings but if I press the key-combination to activate it nothing happens. The cube is (almost) fine.

Why - and more important - how to solve this? Using Nvidia 375.66 and Mint Mate 18.2, fresh installed. Any ideas? Many thanks already.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pemartins

Re: Compiz Watereffect not working

Post by pemartins »

Try changing the initiate key combination, it's possible that there is a conflict with the predefined key combination. In example set it as Ctrl+Alt+< and check if it works.
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

Not helping, what else can I do?

Is there any log-file or something like that to see what is going wrong exactly?
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

How can I find out why the watereffect does not work? Is there any log?

Does the effect work on your pc actually?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Check in Synaptic Package Manager to see if you have both compiz-plugins-default and compiz-plugins installed.
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

Yes, they are both installed.
More ideas?

Does it work on your computers as it should??

Is there any logfile or any way to let compiz it output whats wrong??

Wobbly windows works, cube works (almost, except little glitches when moving windows across the border as mentioned in another thread)...it seems just rain/watereffect does not work anymore on several systems (ati, nvidia) here since some years and several releases of mint mate - does it work on your systems?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Have you tried with/without "Mate compatibility" selected in the General section of compiz panel?

Aside from that, the key shortcut is combined with super key so it(and any other super related key combo) is not going to work, however that was an issue fixed for 18.2.

At this case you can change the main menu key shortcut from super to free it up, and then it will work for you, or as previously mentioned change the water key. maybe <Shift>F10 is free right with the other ones.

For me, <Shift>F9 rain is more interesting. But on 3 systems that I tested the water does push out some splash damage from the mouse while you hold the keys. The other 2 effects are toggles.

Have you tried the "reset compiz to default" thing in the Desktop Setting window manager section?

it works the same on an xfce box too.

...just throwing stuff out there.
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

It just does not work here, even if I activate "Mate compatibility" or not, same with changing the keys...

There definately is another problem.

Is there no logfile anywhere? Or any other way to see why it does not work??

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”