Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

ATI Radeon 3000 Support

Post by pcpunk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:57 am

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone will tell me what kind of support to expect from this Card? Which Distro should I start out with? I can only assume that 16.04 will not be an option, but which 14.04 Series can I use?

Thanks, pcpunk
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: ATI Radeon 3000 Support

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:58 am

'3000' isn't an actual AMD card model but a series. But it seems like an older machine, can you post the text output of inxi -Fxz?

I'll assume it's a 3xxx series card though.

It's not really true that you can't use Mint 18 with old AMD cards, but you can't install the closed driver fglrx. This has nothing to to with Mint. It's true for ANY Linux distro that's as recent as 18 or newer. AMD dropped fglrx support because they're redoing their entire Linux graphics stack. Hopefully their legacy support will improve.

However, if you're using an AMD card older than the 5xxx series, which you apparently are, you can't get the closed driver either. It hasn't beenj supported for them since mint 13/ubuntu 12.04, and those are out of support.

In fact, I used to have Ubuntu 12.04 on a 3xxx series AMD video card machine. A kernel update broke my video. At the time I didn't expect that to happen in a LTS release. If you did install 17.x there would likely be an AMD video driver listed in Driver Manager, but installing it would completely break your video. There are a bunch of Linux forum threads on the subject.

The standard response for AMD cards is avoid 18.x and use 17.x for the proprietary support, but for very new cards or old ones there's none anyway. Fglrx is deprecated and there are new open drivers for the newest cards. You may as well try 18.2.

But don't bother with Cinnamon ... that's just not meant for old graphics cards with iffy 3D acceleration. Try Xfce or Mate and turn off all the eye candy/desktop compositing.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks Rob

This is all quite confusing to me, this means I will be able to use any Mint 17.xx Series with the amd ati radeon 3000 Series, but don't bother with the Mint 18 Series with this Card, and just avoid using the Driver Manager to install Drivers. That's fine with me as I know support is not great for some of this stuff. This pc is not running atm, I ordered a Power Supply and it was wrong...lessoned learned. I will get the new Power Supply and HDD for a nice new install soon. I decided not to get the HDD Until I try out the Power Supply to see if all else is good. Don't want to get to deep into this old pc until I know it will work. Sorry I didn't post the specs but the pc kept shutting down when running a Live Session.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03054469

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:07 pm

From this link, your only option is open source drivers.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks richyrich, I guess most of my experience so far has been with laptops. I went to AMD Site as I usually do, and seen that the only thing available was the Catalyst Legacy 13.1, but there was nothing saying what older systems would work like on the laptops.

So Open Source will work Okay it seems?
The standard response for AMD cards is avoid 18.x and use 17.x for the proprietary support, but for very new cards or old ones there's none anyway.
Not sure I fully understand Rob's Quote here? If I have to use Open Source can I still move to Mint 18 Series or not? I know with the AMD APU stuff, some will work with 17.3, but some won't, so I move to 17.2...and some won't work with that either, so move to 17.1, all due to the XOrg config I believe. Is it going to be the same with this AMD ATI Radeon 3000 Series, or can I just go with 17.3 right from the start, or even 18.xx?

Thanks, pcpunk

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Let's make it easy. The AMD 3000 series driver is integrated into the kernel and any recent Mint edition will work out of the box. Furthermore, if you find performance inadequate, it is unlikely any tweaking will help since the card is so old and the drivers are not being updated anymore. My only suggestion is to use a desktop that is light and does not require effects or compositing. XFCE, MAte or KDE with the compositor disable should be fine.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 am

pcpunk wrote:... I went to AMD Site as I usually do, and seen that the only thing available was the Catalyst Legacy 13.1, but there was nothing saying what older systems would work like on the laptops. ...
That's the normal thing for Windows but in Linux that's one of the most common beginner mistakes. I know that going to the mfr's site to dl drivers sounds like a no brainer to WIndows users but in Linux it's a very unreliable way to do it. AMD Catalyst hasn't worked on current Mint releases for a while AFAIK.

The bottom line is that there are NO drivers available for an AMD card that old except for the open source one that's called radeon. Which is the one you have, it was installed when you installed Mint. There are no other drivers in any other Linux distro either.

AMD isn't very good at supporting older cards in Linux and they dropped support for pre 5xxx series closed drivers years ago. It doesn't matter if you're using mint 17.x or 18.x. The driver you have is the only one, period. WHich is why for newer cards that have closed drivers for 17.3 you should use 17.3 but for old ones like yours it doesn't matter if you use 17.x or 18.x. The drivers are the same.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”