Can't connect to the internet after installing video card

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bg33

Can't connect to the internet after installing video card

Post by bg33 »

I've acquired an older PC which I've installed Mint 18.2 (Cinnamon 32bit) on. I've had no problems connecting to the internet until I went to install a video card (was previously using onboard graphics). After installing the video card, the Network Manager would take around 45 seconds before it would display that it was connected to the wired network. Despite this, I couldn't access the internet. I've tried to google the issues and came across dozens of different topics, to no avail. Being new to Linux I quickly became overwhelmed. I've tried to remove the video card and reinstall the OS, along with trying out other OS (Mint 17.3, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04) with no luck.

ifconfig:

Code: Select all

enp1s8    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:76:1f:1e:92  
          inet6 addr: fe80::bdc2:3134:f946:bf90/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2274 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:46 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:138298 (138.2 KB)  TX bytes:7180 (7.1 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:1280 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1280 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 
          RX bytes:104296 (104.2 KB)  TX bytes:104296 (104.2 KB)
inxi:

System:    Host: pattee-Dell-DE051 Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.3 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Dell product: Dell DE051
           Mobo: Dell model: 0WF887 Bios: Dell v: A01 date: 01/03/2006
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron (-UP-) cache: 256 KB
           flags: (pae sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 5054 speed: 2527 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA NV44A [GeForce 6200] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel
           Resolution: 1024x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV4A
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: ee00 edc0 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller
           driver: e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: df40 bus-ID: 01:08.0
           IF: enp1s8 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (4.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1600JB size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 145G used: 4.5G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: No active sensors found. Have you configured your sensors yet? mobo: N/A gpu: 59.0
Info:      Processes: 149 Uptime: 30 min Memory: 363.6/2010.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Can't connect to the internet after installing video card

Post by richyrich »

Do you have the option to disable the onboard Intel graphics in your BIOS ?

And if you can, then when you boot up again, check the Driver Manager program to see if there is an Nvidia driver available to install.
bg33

Post by bg33 »

My BIOS only gives me the option to set the Primary Video Controller to 'Auto' or 'Onboard'. It was already set to Auto when I went into BIOS.

Driver Manager doesn't show anything outside of a "Drivers cannot be installed. Please connect to the internet or insert the Linux Mint installation DVD (or USB stick)." message. I've tried to insert the same USB stick I installed Mint with, but the message never disappears.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

To me it reads like an IRQ conflict with the add-in video card . .
Is your ethernet onboard or is it also an add-in card? If it is an add-in, is there another slot you can move it to?
Any other cards that are no longer used or needed that you can remove?
Have you tried to re-seat the video card in it's slot?
bg33

Post by bg33 »

Ethernet is onboard. The only card besides the video card was a dial up modem card, which I've removed. I've tried to re-seat the video card as well as install it in a different slot. No success so far.

I took out the video card and hooked the monitor back up to the onboard card, removed the OS with DBAN, and put a fresh install of Mint on in hopes that I could mimic the state the PC was in before installing the video card. No luck there either.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Given the advanced age of that machine, perhaps you might consider trying Mint 17 xfce or MATE.

Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" - Xfce (32-bit)
Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" - MATE (32-bit)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bg33

Post by bg33 »

I'll give those a shot when I get home today and see how it turns out, thanks.
bg33

Post by bg33 »

No luck. Took out video card, wiped hdd, installed both 17.3 Xfce and MATE. Network Manager would just have the revolving icon, as if it was trying to connect, in which it would eventually pop up saying "Disconnected - You are now offline" and then repeating the process over again. It would eventually just stay in the disconnected state.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Time to check your network cable and router.
And if another machine can access the interweb, maybe check with your eyeballs that the capacitors on the motherboard have not popped or are swollen.
Have you tried it with your Live USB/DVD of Mint to see if it is the same ?
bg33

Post by bg33 »

Well, I just have my ethernet cable connected directly from the modem to my main PC right now, and it seems to work fine. I've tried my laptop as well, no issues connecting. It's only when I hook it up to my older PC, and only after installing the video card for the first time, that I have issues. I should say that my main PC is running Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64bit and my laptop Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 32bit.

I admit to not knowing too much about capacitors, but a quick google search gives me an idea on what to keep an eye out for. With that said, from my viewpoint, everything seems to be in order. Capacitors look nice a clean, nothing popped or swollen.

As for the Live USB/DVD, usually before installing the OS I'll see what's going on with the connection. With Xfce/Mate/Ubuntu I usually just get an immediate popup saying that I'm disconnected. With Cinnamon, it usually just seems to take a tad longer to boot up, but when it does it shows that I'm "connected", even though I have no access to the web. :?
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Go to terminal and type

ping -c 10 www.google.com
let it run until it's done
then post the output.
bg33

Post by bg33 »

All I get is "ping: unknown host www.google.com"

FWIW, Network Manager is no longer showing me as connected, which it had been under Cinnamon. I went ahead and re-installed 17.3 Cinnamon, which I prefer, and I get the same issue that I had under the other editions and Ubuntu, that of Network Manager showing an attempt to connect and giving up after 15-20 seconds.

I'm starting to think it might be a hardware issue, as I've just started to run into parity circuit failure upon booting a couple of times. I moved my video card to a different slot, which seemed to fix it for now, but I'm thinking the age of the machine, specifically the motherboard, is starting to show? I dunno..
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

bg33 wrote:All I get is "ping: unknown host www.google.com"
So it's not just the GUI :?
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Maybe the video card damaged something? Like a short?
bg33

Post by bg33 »

Maybe the video card damaged something? Like a short?
I'm thinking that might be the case. Connecting online prior to the video card was easy with no issues whatsoever.

I might try a few more things, but I think it's safe to say by now that this is probably a hardware issue. When I get more time I'll try and diagnose some of the hardware itself, but I think it's probably safe to say the problem is "solved" as I'm not going to purchase replacement parts anytime soon to confirm a fix.

With that said, I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to help narrow down the issue, much appreciated. :)
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

You can also buy a USB wireless adaptor

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320040&cm_re=usb_wireless_adapter_Linux-_-33-320-040-_-Product

Return to “Networking”