System runs OK for 6 days then freezes up

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dencassmint
Level 1
Level 1

System runs OK for 6 days then freezes up

Post by dencassmint »

Hi everyone,
my system:
ASrock AB350M-HDV Mobo
Ryzen 3 1200 CPU,
8 GB RAM,
Zotac Geforce GT710 gpu
freezes up like clockwork after 6 days uptime with these symptoms:
dead keyboard and mouse, hard drive thrashing, and frozen display.
Upgrading the kernel to 4.11.12 last month made a tremendous improvement
but I haven't upgraded the BIOS software to the most recent version yet.
Is it wise to attempt flashing the BIOS at this stage?
I can't think of anything else to try.
Perhaps the next Linux version will solve this issue, what do you think?
Thanks for reading
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: System runs OK for 6 days then freezes up

Post by catweazel »

Yes, update the BIOS. That should always be your first step with this new technology.
Perhaps the next Linux version will solve this issue, what do you think?
It's not a linux issue. Ryzen is very young, hence the need to keep the BIOS up to date as that's how AMD deliver changes.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
dencassmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dencassmint »

HI catweazel
thanks for your suggestion regarding loading the new BIOS
It was installed 2 days ago and has been running ever since,
but is a little sluggish.
Time will tell.
cheers,
Denis
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

dencassmint wrote:HI catweazel
thanks for your suggestion regarding loading the new BIOS
It was installed 2 days ago and has been running ever since,
but is a little sluggish.
Time will tell.
cheers,
Denis
No worries. I should have said it shouldn't be treated as a linux issue first.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
deadalus

Post by deadalus »

AMD issue? did saw a lot of topics on this after googling....

after 20 years of computing, this is the first processor that give me so much problem. can we sue AMD :D
dencassmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dencassmint »

Hi Guys
thanks for the help regarding this computer. Just to clarify, I never meant to imply this fault is Linux related. I posted here to get help suggestions, not to bad mouth Linux. I tried the new BIOS and the overall performance is slightly worse, it froze up again this morning/day 5, requiring a power interrupt to restart. BIOS download needs unzipping too - not detailed in ASRock instructions.
I tend to keep 15 tabs open in some workspaces, and sometimes with new BIOS version, a tab would switch to another tab by itself.
Also, worthy of notice, the sound support was always flawed - even with pulse audio front end, no matter what, Simple Screen Recorder will not record audio - just a lot of hiss - similar to an open line. I'd neglected bringing up the sound problem before, because it's another topic which might have been resolved with new BIOS, but alas.
I've been using computers over 25 years and never experienced insurmountable problems before on new hardware, so my advice is to avoid selecting this mobo hardware combination at present...real snappy and impressive on day 1, but performance decays progressively until by day 5 it's a sluggish, unreliable, unresponsive basket case, whereas an older Lenovo ThinkCenter/Intel V Pro machine and a Asus_X552E/AMD laptop - both running identical 64 bit Linuxmint18 with 4.11.12 kernel - have experienced no problems.
Feel free to post this info to any caution lists if you like. Does anyone think it's worth my time contacting AMD over this issue?
Cheers and thanks for reading.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Have you checked to see if you're running out of disc space on any of your partitions?
dencassmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dencassmint »

Can you tell me the command to check disk space please. I did a default install on a 1 TB disk.
thanks.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I smell faulty RAM stick. On reboot memory dump, then the constant usage of 15 tabs and workspaces eventually finds the bad spot. trouble shoot by powering down and using 1 stick at a time assuming 2x4gb sticks.
A bad stick should give a POST fault with beeps.
If your not in dual channel mode for some reason, which i cannot explain, then swap the stick in their slots. A bad stick in slot 2 moved to slot 1 will fill up and fault out quicker.

If a 1x8gig stick then none of this will help.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...Citizen229 is probably right on that...would suggest running Memtest on boot...Ryzen support is still far from great from what i'm aware, but the above certainly seems quite a bit weird...

You should post the results of 'journalctl -p3' and 'dmesg | grep error' in case someone can provide more help / ideas...

For disk space, try the df & du commands...on Mate, there's the graphical Disk Usage Analyzer and Disks apps included, don't know about the other Mint variants...

Also check the Driver Manager as well for missing drivers...
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

[quote="thx-1138"]...Citizen229 is probably right on that...would suggest running Memtest on boot...Ryzen support is still far from great from what i'm aware, but the above certainly seems quite a bit weird...

You should post the results of 'journalctl -p3' and 'dmesg | grep error' in case someone can provide more help / ideas...

For disk space, try the df & du commands...on Mate, there's the graphical Disk Usage Analyzer and Disks apps included, don't know about the other Mint variants...

Also check the Driver Manager as well for missing drivers...[/quote

Yeah for weird behavior RAM is my first suspect. Especially on a new build. Back in the XP days I had a RAM stick go bad but it wouldnt crash the system. I chased that gremlin for 2 weeks. So now weird behavior I by default do stick swapping as first hardware troubleshooting measure. Its 5 minutes well spent..... trust me....
dencassmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dencassmint »

Hi Guys, thanks for the suggestions regarding running Memtest on the RAM...began testing yesterday...suppose it will take a week so will keep reply with results....more strange behavior - last week the internet connection dropped out by itself 3 times for whatever reason although GUI indicated connection was ' ON ' - the fix was to turn off networking via the GUI and back ON to reconnect.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

If mem test shows clean ram, then more than likely the mobo is defective. Or you do not have settings correct in the bios. Which I doubt cause mobos now adays auto set RAM speeds etc. your mobo cpu and RAM looks like a Newegg combo deal. Yes I have been looking. If this is the case consider sending the entire combo deal back for return. Also, if newegg, call up their support staff. They can also assist with trouble shooting to figure out if items need returned. Its nice to have a service/trouble shoot notation in their records for returns.
dencassmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dencassmint »

Hi Guys
I ran MEMTEST86 and tested the 4 GB ram sticks individually for a couple days with no errors. Next test - ran MEMTEST86 on both sticks for 361 hours/ 250 passes and it had no errors.
I ran the OS off a 1TB disk with nothing else on it, but Linuxmint 18.2 with the patched kernel, and the motherboard has the newest BIOS upgrade.
The computer wouldn't make it past 6 days without locking up before. I checked AMD website and learned that some of the Ryzen CPU's have faults that show up in Linux,
so I'm going to try returning the CPU for a replacement. Tthe next step is to request an RMA and see it they will honor their warranty.
It looks like a painless process. Does anyone else have any more suggestions?
cheers,
Denis
dencassmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dencassmint »

Hi All
AMD replaced the Ryzen CPU, which I just changed out.
It ran for an hour but the system con't load any web pages.
Message is ' Problem loading Page' although this laptop
that I'm replying on right now is running fine.
I tried disconnecting the internet cable from the problematic
computer and it loads the pages now, so I guess it still has a
problem.
Atter changing out the CPU the new fan was dead so I subbed
the original fan and It's working now. I didn't run it for more than
10 seconds with the dead fan.
Can anyone suggest why firefox browser won't load web pages
after an hour running, while this laptop is OK
thanks
Denis
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Our boards are fairly similar. See my sig.
dencassmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dencassmint »

Hi, thanks for reply and here's the output of ' inxi -Fxz'
I copied the file to a USB memory using a Thinkcentre
- the mouse quit after 2 minutes, system is very unstable/unpredictable.

denis@denis-ThinkCentre-M57p ~ $ inxi - Fxz
CPU~Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (-MCP-) speed/max~1550/3100 MHz Kernel~4.11.12-041112-generic x86_64 Up~2 min Mem~567.2/7977.8MB HDD~1000.2GB(3.7% used) Procs~222 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35
denis@denis-ThinkCentre-M57p ~ $ inxi -Fxz
denis@denis-ThinkCentre-M57p ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: denis-ThinkCentre-M57p Kernel: 4.11.12-041112-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.4 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: Mobo: ASRock model: AB350M-HDV
Bios: American Megatrends v: P3.20 date: 08/30/2017
CPU: Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 24751
clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 1550 MHz 2: 1550 MHz 3: 1550 MHz
4: 1550 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA Device 128b bus-ID: 0a:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.66 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1457
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 12:00.3
Card-2 NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 0a:00.1
Sound: ALSA v: k4.11.12-041112-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: f000 bus-ID: 09:00.0
IF: enp9s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (3.7% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 916G used: 34G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.04GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 222 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 567.7/7977.8MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
denis@denis-ThinkCentre-M57p ~ $
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

dencassmint wrote:I tried disconnecting the internet cable from the problematic
computer and it loads the pages now, so I guess it still has a
problem.
What speed was it connected, 1000 Mbps? I ask because I'm aware of a possible problem with the driver at 1000. I'm stable at 100 Mbps.

In looking through your system specs, the obvious differences are Kernel and nVidia vs. AMD GPU.

I've been 24 hour testing now for 2 weeks without a lockup or problem. There is an idle lockup bug I'm tracking and I'm using the fix posted:

rcu_nocbs=0-15

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

My Kernel at 4.10 has all the Ryzen patches except the Turbo patch that has gone into 4.14 released Sunday. I chose 4.10 because of that and the fact it was release with Ubuntu 16.04.03 LTS last August. It is probably what we'll get with Mint 18.3. Other than the quirky way I have to install to get to Mint 18.2 because of the Gigabyte-Ryzen Vector 07 bug, it's been a pretty good build so far. If I do update Kernel from here, it will probably be to 4.14 LTS.

Edit: I just read a blog post that the Kernel in the just released Mint 18.3 beta is 4.10.0-38. Same Kernel I'm stable with. :D

Return to “Hardware Support”