EU threatens code sharing (and therefore Linux software development)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

EU threatens code sharing (and therefore Linux software development)

Post by Pjotr »

Looks like the EU bureaucratic apparatus is trying to make open source software development more difficult:
https://savecodeshare.eu/

No doubt heavily greased by corporate lobbyists, as usual. :evil:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: EU threatens code sharing (and therefore Linux software development)

Post by excollier »

Scumbag EU dictatorship hard at work I see

edit: I see I used "work" and "EU" in the same sentence there......silly me
Last edited by excollier on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

This is exactly why I am trying to remove myself from the digital world as much as possible. Algorithms are the new law enforcement. They force you to desist without an actual accuser,nor any investigation. You immediately are punished for and must prove innocence. The digital world is a guilty until proven innocent environment. From governments all the way down to the swamp hole known as social media.

The plus side of this new age digital world is that it is shifting to open source. Folks are constantly looking for software alternatives. These closed source monopolies are losing customers. They created an environment in the marketplace, where open source is there only competition. Through contracts and government, closed source has created this issue. They cannot compete with the pricepoint of open source. This goes beyond MS, and includes large companies like Adobe. The free market fails when its not allowed to be free, and this is the result. This EU proposition is like everything else, the free market gets blamed. Closed source is losing money, they need to do something quick to stem the bleeding. This proposition is purely another attempt to hinder open source to secure the closed source monopoly.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

This, essentially, means the beginning of the shutting down of the internet for open source, most likely at the behest of the likes of Microsoft and Apple et al.
It's easy to project forward and see how Linux and BSD operating system ISO files will be hit as well once they adjust the algorithms to identify them as "bad" too - think about it.....Microsoft is playing at Linux now, once they get their tentacles into the Linux kernel for a while, they can claim copyright infringement on the code,,,,,bang, gotcha.
Pentarctagon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pentarctagon »

Could someone provide a link to a place with actual information about what's going on/what the proposal is/etc, instead of jumping right to trying to get me to sign something?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Pentarctagon wrote:Could someone provide a link to a place with actual information about what's going on/what the proposal is/etc, instead of jumping right to trying to get me to sign something?
https://savecodeshare.eu/static/assets/ ... eShare.pdf
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Already signed!
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

This is entirely ridicules, nothing more then a police state attempt on the internet.
I signed it and passed it on to another forum to have them sign it as well.
What do they plan on doing, taking down or blocking github now?
Freaking nuts.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

One pretty obvious reason it's difficult to automate searching code is context of content. A thought, however, that I've got is how does a company which might, for argument's sake, bring charges of copyright violation, do so without tipping off basically everyone what their own confidential code is? I mean, all competitors need to do is to know what the code that was removed was, and they'll know that that's the way (either exactly or approximately) that the company who sued on copyright infringement grounds, wrote that bit of their software.

Can you imagine, for example, Nvidia basically tipping its hand on some internal aspects of their driver software?

Besides, writing code isn't the same thing as normal writing. It's not plagiarism to write a bit of code that's identical to someone else's. Sometimes, a particular method is they way something is done, or is the best practices way something is done.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Code: Select all

function create() { }
hmmm this might be another software that has a copyright attached to it, it must go :lol:
Besides, writing code isn't the same thing as normal writing. It's not plagiarism to write a bit of code that's identical to someone else's. Sometimes, a particular method is they way something is done, or is the best practices way something is done.
If they can force copyright in code then they will run out of variable, function, class names in a very short time.
All white papers and best practises will become totally useless, all open drivers will no longer become available.
This really sucks for the European countries, because how many sites would just ban all Europe from a website and just not deal with them at all, which sucks.

Should be interesting to see what they deem is copyright and what isn't in code.
We can say it's not plagiarism for code but who says that's what they say and how flawed is their code that searches these things out?
This can become one heck of a mess if allowed.

I can't see them putting the boots to code but I don't trust them either.
I'd rather stop this before it happens then find out later they did put the boots to code in some way.

If they do pass this then let's see their search code to see if they created a code that has a copyright attached to it somewhere else and ban their own search code.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

The EU is, at heart, anti democratic so they will do whatever suits them, no matter how unjust or ridiculous it seems. Watch as Open source dies a death here over the coming few years

And on a side-note.....

www.publiccode.eu

Return to “Chat about Linux”