SOLVED-Updating 18.2 KDE wants to uninstall a majority of the pre-installed apps

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jack rooster

SOLVED-Updating 18.2 KDE wants to uninstall a majority of the pre-installed apps

Post by jack rooster »

Hi. When I try to update KDE 18.2 via the Update Manager, it says that it will uninstall the majority of the main preinstalled KDE apps including, Dolphin, K3B, KNotes, and many others (109 files in all) What's going on and what should I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Updating 18.2 KDE wants to uninstall a majority of the pre-installed apps

Post by MintBean »

What have you uninstalled/installed very recently?
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

I've installed lot's of stuff including baobab thunderbird virtualbox banshee smplayer deluge subdownloader kde-thumbnailer-openoffice pavucontrol nmap filezilla remmina brasero gparted pale moon chromium kpat kodi wine 0ad calibre and fslint.

I just ran "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal, hoping to get a list of what it was going to uninstall, but it worked just fine. The problem only appears when I use the Update Manager. This tells me there is something seriously wrong with the Update Manager.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Actually I suspect there's something wrong with your sources list probably due to unwisely adding ppas ... copy/paste this into terminal and copy/paste the text output here to see the list of repos ...

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

jack rooster wrote:I just ran "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal, hoping to get a list of what it was going to uninstall, but it worked just fine.
The command sudo apt-get update only queries the configured software repositories and updates the locally cached list of available software packages. As long as all configured repositories can be queried the command will succeed.
You cannot find out this way what would happen if you really decided to install available software updates.

You might execute this terminal commandline and post its complete screen output for inspection and analysis. The command will not apply any changes, but only simulate what would happen.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --simulate upgrade
The output of apt-cache policy plus the output of sudo apt-get --simulate upgrade might give valuable hints as to what is going wrong.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Are you holding back level 4 updates?
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

Yes. I always install level 1 & 2 updates and selectively level 3. Never level 4.
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

I apologize for not responding sooner. Just discovered that I wasn't automatically getting email notifications as I expected. I changed the setting in the control panel so hopefully I can stay on top of my posts from now on.

Anyway, the problem seems to have worked itself out somewhere along the line. Thanks for your time!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

jack rooster wrote:the problem seems to have worked itself out somewhere along the line.
That's good news! Then please mark the thread as SOLVED, in the title of the first post.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”