Linux Mint 6 x64

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garda

Re: Linux Mint 6 x64

Post by garda »

It is impossible to answer your question, since you did not provide us with details. Generally speaking, it is hard to determine whether an operating is compatible with a given machine without actually giving it a run. So the best way to answer your curiosity would be install the operating on your machine then see if it meets your expectation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Once you run the Live CD, you will be better able to determine if Mint 6 x64 performs to your satisfaction. It has been my experience with my specific hardware that 64-bit Mint runs better than 32-bit Mint. Individual results will vary.

As for software, the 64-bit system will download packages and install from the repositories just like the 32-bit version does. The package manager is smart enough to know what version you are using and will download what version you need.

So, set aside an hour or so to give Mint's 64-bit version a test drive. There is a high probability you will want to install it right away. Have fun.
garda

Post by garda »

How much RAM does the laptop have? I bet it has not more than 3 GB. Meaning, you will not gain any sort of advantage from LM 6 x64. Install the x86 (32-bit) variant instead.
LaneLester
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LaneLester »

garda wrote:So the best way to answer your curiosity would be install the operating on your machine then see if it meets your expectation.
Wouldn't it be true that if the Live CD works OK, an installation will be OK? That would be a safer/simpler way to test.

Mint 6 x64 is working just fine on my old AMD Athlon 64.

Lane
Last edited by LaneLester on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lane Lester
garda

Post by garda »

LaneLester wrote:Wouldn't it be true that if the Live CD works OK, an installation will be OK? That would be a safer/simpler way to test.
Most of the times, that is true. There are some users who get some technical problems in real installation that they do not get during their Live CD sessions.

Return to “Beginner Questions”