Date/Time settings: can't change time!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ctulhu

Date/Time settings: can't change time!!

Post by Ctulhu »

I can't change the time and get it to stick. Many have complained about the date/time panel app, that the network time thing doesn't work (I have the same problem) and that time zones can't be changed easily (!!, and I have that, too), but the dumbest thing is that I can't even change the time manually anymore. Seriously, I

- go to Calendar
- de-activate "Use network time"
- enter my password
- then I switch to the hours I want (which right now is from 10 to 9) with the - button
- enter my password
- and then after a half scond, Mint brings back the 10! confused! There is no way I can get the 9 to stick.

I have

- %a %e %b, %H:%M:%S as setting for the panel and
- %A %B %e, %Y inside the data applet

How can something as simple as date/time be so seriously screwed up - any clues on how I can get the time on my computer right in the 21st century??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wheeledgoat

Re: Date/Time settings: can't change time!!

Post by wheeledgoat »

is the time correct in the bios?

i don't know if that's the problem, or if it's even related, but might be work checking...
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

It used to be correct, yes, and I have now overridden the date/time setting crap via the console:

sudo date +%T -s "09:08:40"

Still,, it's somewhat annoying that the Mint settings would allow you to switch from Pacific Standard Time to 4 hours earlier, but not 3 (coz if you try to set a 3-hr difference, it changes it to 4). Weird ...

Thanks for your time, tho!
C
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

hah! i bet you were fighting some kind of automatic daylight savings time adjustment or something. c'mon - you know the computer is smarter than you are! YOU don't know the correct time - IT does! lmao.

glad u got it fixed.
sina

Post by sina »

I make it right by these steps.
First of all, I install

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ntp
then I tried to change time zone by coomand line which I found it https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... sing%20NTP. Briefly I typed this code in terminal

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
and then I set time zone. Now anything is OK and don't forget to be connected to the Internet when you're trying these codes.
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

Yes, that worked, thanks!
diacad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by diacad »

I tried ntp/tzdata and it did not correct the problem. I still can't change the time.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Nice to see the terminal came to the rescue. I've observed issues like these with various GUIs; it's why I tend to stick with terminals. lol Still, GUIs are complex beasties, so one small thing not working in a sea of awesomeness which does work very well; that I think is worth considering. Glad it's sorted now.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata adjusts the time-zone for the whole machine...there's a message to that effect when it gets updated, but it's easy to miss with a GUI.
sueede
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sueede »

timedatectl
Is a nice terminal command.
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

oh cool, thanks for that one, too!
Ctulhu

<SOLVED> Re: Date/Time settings: can't change time!!

Post by Ctulhu »

Thanks everyone!

Return to “Beginner Questions”