Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Juttaken

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by Juttaken »

hi I am new to Linux and hope to learn a lot. I agree gender should not matter but anybody can pretend to be anyone or any gender online . Is 'n that the danger these days. I discussed child protection issues against explicit adult content on most webpages for my 11 yr old daughter toady . I hope to find helpful thing on Linux. If you have any useful links or ideas especially about utube videos I am grateful for advise and links
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Juttaken wrote:protection [...] against explicit adult content on most webpages
That is not a trivial topic and not really suited for "introduce yourself" forum :wink: I suggest you create a new topic for this in the support section of the forum.
minty_95

Post by minty_95 »

Hello, I'm a newbie here :) i would like to seek some infos about linux mint since i was wondering about its use :) and maybe i will install it to my laptop :)
so, me and my classmate are going to report about linux mint, i am wondering about its LOGO, what is the story behind that? Can someone answer my question? Thank you! :) :?:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

minty_95 wrote:i am wondering about its LOGO, what is the story behind that? Can someone answer my question? Thank you! :) :?:
It would be more appropriate to ask that question in a different forum. Maybe in "Chat about Linux Mint"
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
freepam

Post by freepam »

Hello, I'm researching buying a special computer for Linux with Mint already installed on it to give me a head start. I don't have a lot of time to spend learning new computer stuff right now so I will take it slow as I go along. I'm leaning towards the ThinkPenguin one right now.

I'm shifting to Linux because I have windows 7 on my pc and was reasonably happy with it but I had 10 on my laptop and I got so MAD at those microsoft boogers taking over my computer whenever they bloodywell wanted to. Then I was reading the new stuff from vault 7 from wikileaks and found out how all the major mfgs were in cahoots with the CIA and there were backdoors all over their machines.

So I will learn mint, cinnamon as soon as possible then put it on my pc as well.

I have a non linux question, this might not be the right place for it but I didn't see any other segment. What email server do you recommend for privacy. I've known google was evil for years but it's so hard to get all your backfiles away from them, especially when you have an online business. Like facebook, they never let you go ;(

So happy to be here,
Pam
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Pam Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

freepam wrote:
What email server do you recommend for privacy.
There's ProtoMail . . . but I can't vouch for it as I have never used it.

https://protonmail.com/
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

freepam wrote:What email server do you recommend for privacy.
Hi Pam

Privacy is also most important for me. I use:

Webmail:
ProtonMail ... https://protonmail.com/

WebMail & POP3 & IMAP:
Vivaldi ... https://webmail.vivaldi.net/
Disroot ... https://disroot.org/email/
Autistici/Inventati ... https://www.autistici.org/

They're all excellent for me.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "freepam",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

+1 for "ProtonMail" easy to setup and use (and their VPN called ProtonVPN). But, their email will not work with an email client application only through a web browser (yet), and the people you communicate (email) with must also use ProtonMail for secure email (will still work to send and receive email to and from other email addresses, just not securely).

There is nothing wrong with Google Mail and they automatically check your emails (incoming and outgoing) for viruses and malware. If you want secure email, then use an email client like Thunderbird with the Enigmail encryption add-on, get people you want to have secure email with to setup GPG/PGP encryption (relatively easy to do), exchange your public encryption keys, and you will have secure email even with Gmail and other email providers.

As for computers with Linux Mint already on it, there are the "MintBoxes", LinuxCity, System76, etc...

Mintbox (I like them all, but the Mint Box pro and AirTop have nicer features)
https://www.linuxmint.com/store_mintbox.php

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/mintbox/

System76 (high-end)
https://system76.com/desktops/leopard

LinuxCity
http://www.linucity.com/Scripts/default.asp

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

freepam wrote:I have a non linux question, this might not be the right place for it but I didn't see any other segment. What email server do you recommend for privacy.
mailfence.com (free and paid)
posteo.de (paid)
mailbox.org (paid)
protonmail.com (free and paid)
tutanota.com (free and paid)
freepam

Post by freepam »

Thanks a lot for the responses, I'll check them all out ;)

And thanks for the welcome. The newbie questions list look a bit scary but all your helpful responses made me feel better ;)

Pam
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Freepam, welcome and don't worry too much! People typically join forums like this one if they have a problem to solve, not if it all goes smoothly; furthermore, many of the problems are, shall we say... self-inflicted. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

I first joined the forum because I had an issue to solve. I come back now because I enjoy seeing how other people get their issues solved, and learning about Linux in general.

Mint is a fascinating operating system and community
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
heathermf

Post by heathermf »

I'm new! I just started yesterday but am already in love with Linux! I'm ready to figure out how it works and what I can do with it!

Heather :)
I'm in Arizona where it's frickin hot :shock:
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

heathermf wrote:I'm new!
Heather :)
Hello Heather. Against my better judgement, & all good taste, my initial thought was "Oh, new to Linux, or you've just been born?". Teehee.

Linux is marvellous [such a breath of fresh air], so i hope you have lots of fun & good learning.
Ttylmkay

Post by Ttylmkay »

I'm new here also and trying to switch to Linux from m$death. Loved the live version and hope to get everything working on the direct installation. The software I've found is wonderful.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello Heather and Ttylmkay! Glad to have you on board!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

heathermf wrote:I'm new! I just started yesterday but am already in love with Linux! I'm ready to figure out how it works and what I can do with it!
Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ttylmkay wrote:I'm new here also and trying to switch to Linux from m$death. Loved the live version and hope to get everything working on the direct installation. The software I've found is wonderful.
Welcome! You'll find lots of assistance here.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
whackamolecule

Post by whackamolecule »

Hi there, using cinnamon 17.1 on a EEEbox.

Barely :msgreen:

can do randomly useful things in it. kind of like a drunken waltz between Miss ineptitude and Ms talent whom unfortunately have piscine memories. i've managed to do some scripting, including screen mapping clicking the screen regularly when I'm not there. finding and changing my win 7 password from a dual boot on the Mint side. well technically quad boot i guess. and editing horrid proprietal videos into MP4s. that sounds easy eh! hardest thing I've ever tried to do and achieved. I think I might be able to mix the sound from one video with the visuals from another now.

Hope to see other women here talking how other women talk. Precise with handholding might be the key there!

Sticks out hand shyly

WM

Return to “Introduce Yourself”