<SOLVED> Customized desktop icon sizing in LM18.2

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thebeano

<SOLVED> Customized desktop icon sizing in LM18.2

Post by thebeano »

Hi,
I have upgraded to LM18.2 Cinnamon from 18.1 Cinnamon. On 18.1 i used the customized resizing feature for Desktop icons quite a bit as part of my personal desktop visual organization. I can no longer detect this feature in the drop down when right clicking on the icon. I have obviously spent quite some time looking through all relevant config options but - (unless i can't see the wood for the trees!) - to no avail.
I do notice that a right click to the desktop area gives a dropdown with a new option 'Desktop' where eventually one can resize all icons ( three sizes - not really very useful!!) . I suspect this is not a coincidence but can somebody confirm this feature has been dropped? Or perhaps there is a workaround ?? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Customized desktop icon sizing in LM18.2

Post by Cosmo. »

I confirm, that the old feature has been dropped. I don't know, if it is possible to get it back again. Most likely it would give problems with the auto-arrange feature.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

This feature is very unlikely to come back. Trying to keep any sort of proper grid layout with this feature would be a nightmare.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
thebeano

Post by thebeano »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. And I can see the logical reasoning.
Although what's wrong with providing an option? The code must exist in the previous Cinnamon version.
I've re-checked the 'What's new' file for LM18.2 and although it specifies modifications concerning desktop icons it does not mention what it was taking out.!!!
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

Install dconf-editor, run it, in left column go to path org > nemo > desktop and untick the option "use-desktop-grid". Here you are. Desktop behaviour is just like before 18.2 and you can freely resize icons.
thebeano

Post by thebeano »

Hi,
@Cyr4x. That's just excellent. Thanks a million for taking the time.
florus

Re: <SOLVED> Customized desktop icon sizing in LM18.2

Post by florus »

That is brilliant, thank you, Cyr4x. I can now position my desktop icons where I want them. :D
brian36

Re: <SOLVED> Customized desktop icon sizing in LM18.2

Post by brian36 »

Many thanks. Pity it wasn't in the release notes! Now I'm happy. :D
Rebel450
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rebel450 »

Cyr4x wrote:Install dconf-editor, run it, in left column go to path org > nemo > desktop and untick the option "use-desktop-grid". Here you are. Desktop behaviour is just like before 18.2 and you can freely resize icons.
@Cyr4x:
Thanks A LOT for sharing your knowledge - this was tricky_ damn ;-)
You made my day :D
Become a Linux Mint donor today
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Cyr4x wrote:Install dconf-editor, run it, in left column go to path org > nemo > desktop and untick the option "use-desktop-grid". Here you are. Desktop behaviour is just like before 18.2 and you can freely resize icons.
I'd not upgraded to 18.2 because of wanting to still be able to freely resize icons. Mistook that choosing manager as MDM in 18.3 meant being able to resize, but then have very soon after install found this ... thanks SO much! Can resize artwork now. :D

Return to “Cinnamon”