[SOLVED] INSCRIPT keyboard for Hindi

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hpmital
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] INSCRIPT keyboard for Hindi

Post by hpmital »

I have Mint 18.1 serena, and have installed ibus and hindi language. But I am not able to find and install INSCRIPT keyboard, which is the stndard keyboard for typing in Indian languages, including hindi. I do find INDIAN as one of the keyboard options, but it is not the same as the standard INSCRIPT keyboard. Earlier, when I was using version Mint 15, with ibus installed I was able to install Inscript keyboard. Where is it missing now? Will be thankful for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: INSCRIPT keyboard for Hindi

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
hpmital
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hpmital »

No, this did not help. I still have not been able to find out how to get the standard INSCRIPT keyboard working (on Mint 18.2 now). For typing in a n umber of Indian languages, more particularly in Hindi, Inscript is the accepted standard in India. There were earlier many keyboards under various other names but in the last few years, INSCRIPT has been adopted. There surely should be some way of using this on MINT. In fact there is need to remove the other possible options from the repositories, so that non-standard keyboards are not proliferated.
vedant_raj

Post by vedant_raj »

I'm also using 18.2 & that's exactly my concern too.

Compared to windows, I'd like to have at least Inscript keyboard, since something like google input tools is a far fetched thought for now.
hpmital
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Re: INSCRIPT keyboard for Hindi

Post by hpmital »

After some searching and trial, I was able to install the Inscript keyboard for Hindi language. Here is what finally worked:
From the software manager in Mint, install "ibus" and "ibus-m17n"
In the menu search bar, type "ibus". It will show up "ibus preferences". Click to open.
Select the Input Method tab, and click Add. It shows English, Arabic,....., spanish etc 8 languages and thereafter three dots for options. Click the dots to get more options. Select "Hindi"
As you click on 'Hindi' it offers 6 different typing keyboards. Select the first one "Inscript (m17n)".
Select other preferences in the ibus dialog as you like.
Close

Return to “Software & Applications”