BUG: high ram drain in 18.2

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheCondor

BUG: high ram drain in 18.2

Post by TheCondor »

i'm experiencing an anormal ram drain from Cinnammon. It starts between 300 and 600mb but after few hours goes to 1GB first and also to 6GB of used RAM!!! when ram usage goes over 3GB the desktop freeze for some seconds and i must restart the xorg session (or reboot the whole pc, which has 16GB of total ram.....).
Seems that i'm not the only one with this bug around the web... any workaround?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: BUG: high ram drain in 18.2

Post by MintBean »

Nothing abnormal about the RAM usage, so the workaround is to change your preconceptions.
http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

I would raise the desktop freezing as a separate issue.
Last edited by MintBean on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCondor

Post by TheCondor »

mmm.. i'm not talking about ram allocation from OS, it's fine to 'use' the free ram and make it available just when need. I'm talking about the cinnamon process ram usage. It's not allocation, it's really used and not 'reallocable' from other process. See this, now:
Schermata del 2017-10-12 17-29-17.png
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

That does seem high. What applications are you running?
TheCondor

Post by TheCondor »

chrome, thunderbird, remmina. My office set :D
And it grow to over 6GB if i open network folder. I also disabled file/icon previews and tried to mount the network share through NFS and SMB.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Could be worth making contact with others having the same issue to see if there's a common factor.

A couple of ideas:
1) Try disabling applets and desklets and see if the issue occurs. This is a long shot, but worth ruling out.
2) Is Remmina the culprit? That certainly calls heavily on x.org and pushes large amounts of data around.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

I know that this sounds strange, but I had the same high ram usage on Ubuntu unity & LM Cinnamon, & I found changing the icon theme, reduced ram usage dramatically.
On LM I use Mint-Y across the board & Cinnamons ram usage dropped by about 70%. Same in Unity changing icons to Vivacious.
Worth a try.
TheCondor

Post by TheCondor »

MintBean wrote:Could be worth making contact with others having the same issue to see if there's a common factor.

A couple of ideas:
1) Try disabling applets and desklets and see if the issue occurs. This is a long shot, but worth ruling out.
2) Is Remmina the culprit? That certainly calls heavily on x.org and pushes large amounts of data around.
I'm just running defaul applets and no desklets, about remmina is not always running... the problem appears also when remmina is off :evil:
cottfcfan wrote:I know that this sounds strange, but I had the same high ram usage on Ubuntu unity & LM Cinnamon, & I found changing the icon theme, reduced ram usage dramatically.
On LM I use Mint-Y across the board & Cinnamons ram usage dropped by about 70%. Same in Unity changing icons to Vivacious.
Worth a try.
i switched icons set to Mint-Y, i'll report here what will happen now.

Thanks everybody, hope to identify the cause so we can fix the problem for everyone!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Okay, I'm just throwing ideas around here which may not be useful so feel free to ignore.
-Try running Firefox instead of Chrome for a day. Any difference?
-Dropbox is something I don't use. See what happens without that.
-Do you run any non-standard software, stuff installed from .debs, PPAs?

Check to see if there's anything that jumps out from the Cinnamon logs by right clicking on the panel and selecting Troubleshoot->Looking Glass->Logs tab.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- Copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
TheCondor

Post by TheCondor »

Ok i also removed a bar applet: Place Center.
So now i'm on Mint-Y icons and without 'Place Center', since this morning all fine with all my usually applications opened. I'll let you know in 3-4 days, maybe we have found where to put an eye... 8)
idle

Post by idle »

This is my ram usage, which also was never this high in other version of Mint.
TheCondor

Post by TheCondor »

After these days of working I can confirm that without 'Place Center' applet the problem does not appeared again. I also returned to default icon theme.
It's strange because i used Place Center for a long time without problem... maybe an update broke it...

Return to “Cinnamon”