where is virtualbox

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shirtman99

where is virtualbox

Post by shirtman99 »

I am running 64bit Sonya with Mate, I installed virtualbox with the package manager, it shows as being installed but doesnt show up on any of the menus like did on earlier versions of mint.
A search shows all sorts of stuff but no executable anywhere, have I done something wrong, anyone got any ideas please
thanks in advance for any pointers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: where is virtualbox

Post by MintBean »

It should just appear. If you type virtualbox in a terminal does it launch?
shirtman99

Post by shirtman99 »

thanks yes it actually does, but attempts to install either openbsd or win7 fail with a variety of errors, this is on a thinkpad W520 so
  • I am going to have a poke around in the bios and see what I can see as the windows installer threw up a bios error
    At least it runs if nothing else, if I get any success I will report back
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I think recently just about everybody has been downloading VirtualBox directly from the VB website:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Uninstall the version you installed from the package manager, then install the downloaded version. That will appear in the Menu under System or Administration and will start just by clicking on it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
shirtman99

Post by shirtman99 »

thanks, I tried that and it failed to install properly complaining about a missing kernel module, so I have reinstalled the original one again, I can live with it running from a terminal.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

shirtman99 wrote:I am running 64bit Sonya with Mate, I installed virtualbox with the package manager, it shows as being installed but doesnt show up on any of the menus like did on earlier versions of mint.
A search shows all sorts of stuff but no executable anywhere, have I done something wrong, anyone got any ideas please
thanks in advance for any pointers
For VB you need these paskages

Code: Select all

[bill@XPS] $ dpkg -l|grep virtualbox|awk '{print $2}'
virtualbox
virtualbox-dkms
virtualbox-ext-pack
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
virtualbox-qt
[bill@XPS]  $ 

Return to “Virtual Machines”