[SOLVED] Screensaver as Root

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mperkel
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Screensaver as Root

Post by mperkel »

I'm trying to disable the screen saver. I am running as root. The settings menu says:

"Warning: the screen will not be locked for the root user."

I mean - really? How do I get rid of this limitation? What file does it write this information to? Or what program can I delete to get rid of the screen saver?
Last edited by Moem on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Screensaver as Root

Post by Pjotr »

mperkel wrote:I am running as root.
You are what? :shock:

That's extremely unwise and *not* the way that Mint should be used. No experienced Linux user, at least no one with a bit of sense, will tell you anything else.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mperkel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mperkel »

I'd rather save the running as root debate for another thread. I'm looking for an answer to my question.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

mperkel wrote:I'd rather save the running as root debate for another thread. I'm looking for an answer to my question.
That's all you're going to get from me, mate. I won't help people to continue with insecure insanity. :wink:

Furthermore, this is a public forum. So it's a matter of public hygiene and disease prevention, to warn sternly against such madness. Thus hopefully preventing others to become victims as well.
mperkel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mperkel »

I'm just trying to get a question answered. I'm not interested in your opinion. We can take it to another thread if you want.
mperkel
Level 1
Level 1

What file is screensaver setting stored in?

Post by mperkel »

When someone sets the screensaver setting from the menu, what file is the setting for the screensaver stored in? I'm trying to make changes directly.

Thanks in advance for replying on subject.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What file is screensaver setting stored in?

Post by greerd »

Hi mperkel,

In the cinnamon DE, which I assume would be similar to CentOS Gome3 (I read your apt - yum post), a dconf database is used to store keys, man dconf, man gsettings for more info. Also dconf EDITOR sudo apt install dconf-editor for a gui.

For example using gsettings to list the screensaver values.

Code: Select all

gsettings list-schemas | grep screensaver
to find the schema,
then

gsettings list-keys org.cinnamon.desktop.screensaver
to list the keys.

Hope this helps
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

mperkel wrote:I'm trying to disable the screen saver. I am running as root. The settings menu says:
"Warning: the screen will not be locked for the root user."
I do not understand the problem.
You disable the screen saver. You are told the screen will not be locked any more. What did you expect?
The screensaver is responsible for locking the screen after a (user-defined) time of inactivity.
If you disable the screensaver completely then you also disable screen locking.

You might inspect the available screen saver options more closely. You might keep the screen locking enabled, but instruct screensaver to blank the screen only, without displaying any screensaver screen.

In case we have to go into more details, please, let us know which Mint version with which desktop environment we are talking about. Terminal command

inxi -Sxx
--
P.S.:
Running the graphical desktop environment (Mate, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE) with root privileges is generally considered insecure. - Have not come across any good reason to do so.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: threads about the same question merged
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
mperkel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mperkel »

I want to override the nanny controls and do what I want to do. I'm a big boy and I don't need training wheels. Besides - typing sudo before a command is just as insecure. I don't see why a 2 hour max setting on the screen saver is more secure than just leaving it on, being that I live alone and I have awesome off site backups.

So - what file do I need to hack to override the settings?

My computer - my choice.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Ok. I'll repeat my initial 2 lines from my previous reply:
I do not understand the problem.
You disable the screen saver. You are told the screen will not be locked any more. What did you expect?
On the question where screensaver settings are stored:
I strongly suspect that the answer will depend on the desktop environment which you use: Mate, Cinnamon, xfce, KDE.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

mperkel wrote:... I don't need training wheels. Besides - typing sudo before a command is just as insecure. I don't see why a 2 hour max setting on the screen saver is more secure than just leaving it on....
Yes, you do, as tre 2nd senternce shows.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

mperkel wrote:I want to override the nanny controls and do what I want to do. I'm a big boy and I don't need training wheels.
You do need those wheels, brother. You need 'em bad. :lol:

A root desktop defeats the security model that's been in place for Ubuntu and Mint since their inception. Applications are meant to be run with non-administrative security (or as mere mortals), so you have to elevate their privileges to modify the underlying system.

For example, you wouldn't want that recent crash of VLC to wipe out your entire /usr directory due to a bug. Or that vulnerability that was just posted in LibreOffice to allow an attacker to gain a ROOT shell. Or that malicious script on a website, to take over your entire system by means of an (as yet) unpatched Firefox or Adobe Flash Player. Et cetera, et cetera....

It's just good practice on any operating system, in fact the only sane practice, to run your applications on a user level. And leave only administrative tasks to the root user, and even that exclusively on a per-need basis.
My computer - my choice.
Of course. But "dumb" doesn't even begin to describe your current line of action. They'll have to coin a new word for it.
revian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revian »

mperkel wrote:I want to override the nanny controls and do what I want to do. I'm a big boy and I don't need training wheels. Besides - typing sudo before a command is just as insecure. I don't see why a 2 hour max setting on the screen saver is more secure than just leaving it on, being that I live alone and I have awesome off site backups.

So - what file do I need to hack to override the settings?

My computer - my choice.
As normal user: If you happen to download an app that includes malware, the malware won't affect the system because of ACL (Access Control Lists), it would only affect your home folder.

As root user: If you happen to download an app that includes malware, the malware has the potential to destroy the entire system because you bypassed the security measures that are in place to specifically avoid this destruction.

And, typing "sudo" before a command is NOT the same thing as running the system as root.

Once you learn about the security inherent in a Linux system, you'll understand why we never run the system as root.

But, as you've stated, it's your computer and you are free to allow your lack of security knowledge to damage the system if you so desire.
Operating within normal parameters
mperkel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mperkel »

I'm using Mate.
mperkel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What file is screensaver setting stored in?

Post by mperkel »

greerd wrote:Hi mperkel,

In the cinnamon DE, which I assume would be similar to CentOS Gome3 (I read your apt - yum post), a dconf database is used to store keys, man dconf, man gsettings for more info. Also dconf EDITOR sudo apt install dconf-editor for a gui.

For example using gsettings to list the screensaver values.

gsettings list-schemas | grep screensaver
to find the schema,
then

gsettings list-keys org.cinnamon.desktop.screensaver
to list the keys.

Hope this helps
Thanks - I think I fixed it with the dconf-editor. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “Newbie Questions”