[NOT SUPPORTED] Kernal updater 4.13.15 64-Bit.

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrmajik45

[NOT SUPPORTED] Kernal updater 4.13.15 64-Bit.

Post by mrmajik45 »

Heres a Kernal Updater that updates to 4.13.15 Automaticlly. ONLY 64-BIT. Link to download.https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxmkurqnye9fe ... er.sh?dl=0
Dropbox is my No.1 Goto for file uploading.
@Catweasel
catweazel wrote:Warning DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Kernal updater 4.13.15 64-Bit.

Post by catweazel »

Warning DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

You need to be careful posting stuff like that. Many users here looking for help aren't aware of the risks of updating to an out of tree kernel so it's your responsibility to clearly spell the risks out and to issue appropriate warnings.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Kernal updater 4.13.15 64-Bit.

Post by Pjotr »

catweazel wrote:Warning DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

You need to be careful posting stuff like that. Many users here looking for help aren't aware of the risks of updating to an out of tree kernel so it's your responsibility to clearly spell the risks out and to issue appropriate warnings.
+1. If you value your system, you should give this script the widest possible berth. :shock:

We're not a bunch of rodeo cowboys here, but we're taking Linux seriously. So we appreciate stability and reliability. Which means: no Russian roulette with system kernels.

Furthermore, I have some doubts about the script writing ability of someone who clearly isn't aware that it's spelled "kernel" and not "kernal".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lmintnewb2

Re: [NOT SUPPORTED] Kernal updater 4.13.15 64-Bit.

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Furthermore, I have some doubts about the script writing ability of someone who clearly isn't aware that it's spelled "kernel" and not "kernal".
Hey ... maybe they're spelling it with a French accent, could be kinda classy and does sorta roll off the tongue, kernal, I shall have the kernal with extra cheese. :D Being a dork folks, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree and somewhat agree to disagree with what's been said. Totally agree some type of warning should be given. More over think, OP do I know you from somewhere ? Answer ... no I don't thus installing some script from someone I know nothing about to upgrade the kernel on my gnu/Linux OS ? Errrrr ...

Lastly and no offense meant by it at all. Really don't get why the Mint community seems to be so uber sensitive to people installing and trying out different kernels ( or kernals if one prefers. :P ) It should be absolutely harmless, not saying in every given situation but overall not like someone is handling a batch of hot and unstable nitroglycerin either. Keep the old one around, play with the new one for awhile, doesn't act right ... boot into the older version, purge the miscreant kernal and done. Sheesh (note: On Debian or based) have custom compiled the suckers, got em from other fully compatible distro's repo's aka: Siduction or Sid, installed the Liquorix kernel repeatedly across many OS's.
Edit note: Also finding it real hard to think up any reason why that'd be any different on Mint main editions either, shrugs. I mean if someone is paranoid about kernel upgrades, set up a Mint virtual-machine and play with it there for awhile until you build up some trust.
Never had any real trouble, security was never compromised. Played with em for awhile, if liked them kept 1 or more around, if not got rid of them, shrugs. Current output of "uname -r"

Code: Select all

4.13.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
The latest from Stretch backports. Just don't get why everyone seems so tense about exploring kernel(s) upgrades. Again .. fellas, not meant to be argumentative just stating an opinion and/or asking the question ?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lmintnewb2 wrote:Current output of "uname -r"

4.13.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
The latest from Stretch backports. Just don't get why everyone seems so tense about exploring kernel(s) upgrades. Again .. fellas, not meant to be argumentative just stating an opinion and/or asking the question ?

Linux Fartblast 4.13.6-041306-lowlatency
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Linux Fartblast 4.13.6-041306-lowlatency
HEY ! Actually if it were being kept in a trusted repo, maintained by reputable people, I'd install that version. Would be the envy of fellow nixers everywhere with a kernel named that ! :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

lmintnewb2 wrote:Really don't get why the Mint community seems to be so uber sensitive to people installing and trying out different kernels
Speaking for myself here, both privately and as a mod:
I'm not (über or otherwise) sensitive about people playing around with their own installations.
I'm sensitive, or you could just say that I care, about people promoting such experimentation in the forum of a distro that is advertised as being newbie-friendly. Especially when done without any warnings.

Even if trying an unsupported kernel is relatively low-risk, I don't want newcomers to Mint (and Linux-based OSses in general) to be scared right back to Windows by an unnerving experience. I want them to have a GOOD and easy experience. I want them to like and enjoy Mint.
Experiments are great if you know what you are doing. Experimenting without knowing that you are doing so, and to which degree, and what to do if things go pear shaped... not so great.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ No worries, everybody is entitled to their opinions and feelings.

Don't want this to turn into like a debate. Still going to share my thoughts on it. Most absolute new comers aren't going to bother fiddling with the kernel anyway. Some will ( with zero problem), provided they spend a bit of time looking up the subject on whichever search engine. It's not rocket science for anyone with give or take a bit avg intelligence to do. Then still others will too, who have absolutely no business even messing with it. But that type will do it no matter what anybody here among the Mods-etc say. Stupid is as stupid does.

Scaring people away from doing so, with unfounded warnings about dire consequences, security concerns and this and that ... isn't helping anybody and would disagree that Mint's so much a new-user proposition by this point anyway. Mint is kickbutt gnu/Linux for any experience/skill level user. Seems to work quite hard at making sure there's ample choice for such too. Not my first choice but will be quick to admit it's an awesome specimen of gnu/Linux. Would eagerly suggest LM to open source interested people wanting to get away from M$ and Mac.

</end Mint fanboi'sim> :D

Anyway ... like anything, with but a tad of effort and a dash of common sense no reason people with the interest shouldn't experiment with different kernel's imo. Mentioned there are options readily available that make an already really low risk proposition a no risk one, such as experimenting in virtual-machines (try whatever, learn ... confirmed as working great. Doesn't ... trash the vm, setup another identical vm in 2mins get on with your life), setting up a testing install, encouraging people to use the Mint tools or one of a gazillion ways to backup and restore their Minty goodness. As you mention a reasonable warning perhaps, just not a warning to the extent that it comes off as FUD and paranoia.

No pressing reason to upgrade a kernel if everything works fine. Newer versions, often include improvements, bug fixes, added hardware support and features older one's don't. Thus the whole reason for the release of newer versions. Nor am I suggesting it'll be mind blowing performance gains (won't be) and immediately everybody start chasing the latest version. Not like the one's coming stock with LM are ancient kernel's. Just saying the prevailing attitude about this among the community, to me really does kinda border on ridiculous.

Do not be so stingy and rigid with all the Nixy and Minty goodness ! Besides there is no shortage of highly experienced and knowledge nixers in the Mint community too. Even if xyz-newuser were to bork up installing a kernel, help is available .. though again, just means they didn't invest even 30-45mins of effort into finding any of the ocean of how-to's and information about it. Likely they had no business even dorking with a kernel anyway.

Gnu/Linux is great and it's also about choices and freedom to do whatever ya please. For the wrong kind of person it's only going to do so much to protect them from themselves. If someone insists on being stupid, then not even gnu/Linux can cure em of it, shrugs.

Anyway ... whatever you do, under no circumstance, not even for a moment should you .... LOOK AT THAT KERNEL OR IT'S SURE TO KILL US ALL !!!! :P
Last edited by lmintnewb2 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Oops, wonder if I used google advanced search modifiers and search Mint forum for how-to's and high quality tutes and info about how to easily and safely upgrade a kernel in LM, how many of the suckers are already lurking right here in these forums alone ?

Sorry ... too lazy, been awake too long also. So brain is kinda winding down, which is great < wish I could kick myself in de arse> for drinking all that coffee. Have an interview and some job apps to put in today and should've been in bed about 5hrs ago !!!! Somebody write a good how-to ... not be a dork who stays up drinking coffee all night ??!! Please !
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

lmintnewb2 wrote:Just saying the prevailing attitude about this among the community, to me really does kinda border on ridiculous.
That's fine, we can disagree. You can be wrong as often as you like. :wink:

Mod note:
You're being quite chatty in non-chat sections of the forum, by the way. Kindly turn it down a bit. The posters (and readers) of the topics you're participating in will likely thank you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^LMAO Moem ... touche and well done. :D
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

For whatever it's worth to you, I think that script could absolutely use some TLC, but I see nothing at all malicious or inherently dangerous.

I agree that installing a kernel is a standard thing, but for a brand new user to Linux, it can be scary and confusing, so I get where Moem is coming from. I half expected to see a script for compiling the kernel from source, but it's just deb files, so it's fine; it should be easily removable using tools like apt-get.

Inspired by the OP's script, I wrote an alternative installer just now:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/termi ... 20(Ubuntu)

You can use this script by running the following, one line at a time:

A="terminalforlife/miscellaneous/master/install%204.13.5_64-bit%20(Ubuntu)"

wget -q "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/$A" -O /tmp/4.13.5_64-bit_${$}.tmp

chmod u+x !$ && sudo !$ && rm !$ && unset A
...or do it manually, if you prefer.

PS: It comes with a big warning. :P

CAUTION:

This (the kernel version, not the script) caused weird mouse movement for me in Virtualbox on Mint 18.2 with Cinnamon, and I noticed a vbox-related "FAILED" message on boot; despite that, it seems to work fine. Uninstallation was easy and went fine. YMMV.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Scripts & Bash”