Search files on cinnamon menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mike Bermel

Search files on cinnamon menu

Post by Mike Bermel »

I migrated from KDE to Cinnamon and the feature I most miss is the search for files in the Menu.

Is it possible to implement this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tarka Dal
Level 1
Level 1

Make my files appear in search results

Post by Tarka Dal »

Hi folks, first post - very exciting!

I've used Mint for ages at work and home (Mint 18.1, Cinnamon 64-bit) but there are still a few customisations that are beyond me.

Something I'd really like is for the Super Key -> Menu -> Search box to yield matching documents from my /home/username/Documents folder rather than just apps. I keep all my useful info there and it would be great if I could just hit Super -> "phone" to open phone-numbers.txt

Can I a new source or rule somewhere to make that happen?

Thanks for reading, hope I'm making some vague kind of sense
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same question, merged here
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Search files on cinnamon menu

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't know how long you had KDE running but that built in file search feature doesn't look so great after a while. It slows the system down and many users disable it.

I recently went back to KDE on my laptop and disabling the file indexing was one of the first things I did. Don't need it anyway. And afterwards, plus some other speed tweaks, KDE runs in about 325Mb. That's not much more than Xfce, which is a dinosaur.

On a GTK desktop I'd recommend gnome-search-tool. It's better than catfish, which isn't too shabby either.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I use Catfish, and it works well. I haven't yet tried any of the others, because Catfish has worked so well for me. To program new keyboard shortcuts, click Menu, Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts, Custom Shortcuts, Add custom shortcut. Note that this is in Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, and it may be slightly different in other versions, but it's still there somewhere.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Mike Bermel

Post by Mike Bermel »

Hoser Rob wrote:I don't know how long you had KDE running but that built in file search feature doesn't look so great after a while. It slows the system down and many users disable it.

I recently went back to KDE on my laptop and disabling the file indexing was one of the first things I did. Don't need it anyway. And afterwards, plus some other speed tweaks, KDE runs in about 325Mb. That's not much more than Xfce, which is a dinosaur.

On a GTK desktop I'd recommend gnome-search-tool. It's better than catfish, which isn't too shabby either.
Hi Hoser.

Thanks for the answer.

I understand your thinking, but not everyone has slow computers. Searching for files could be disabled by default.

I have SSD in my notebook and for me, this is very advantageous. I create dozens of files a day and I often need to look for a file created a month ago.
In my work, 50% of computers have Linux Mint with KDE and everyone uses the search feature.
Last edited by Mike Bermel on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Bermel

Post by Mike Bermel »

jimallyn wrote:I use Catfish, and it works well. I haven't yet tried any of the others, because Catfish has worked so well for me. To program new keyboard shortcuts, click Menu, Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts, Custom Shortcuts, Add custom shortcut. Note that this is in Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, and it may be slightly different in other versions, but it's still there somewhere.
Hi Jimallyn.

I installed the catfish and it is a great option.
I configured a shortcut to open it (CTRL + Space) and for now it worked very well.

Still, I believe that for new users or even users coming from Windows, this idea is valid.

Return to “Cinnamon”