Solved (for now)Mate has resized itself

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Solved (for now)Mate has resized itself

Post by Richardj »

Hi all,
Just booted up mate and it's changed the size of everything, from desktop icons to icons in programs ect ect. I'm guessing it's to do with the graphics card, if it is where and how do I change things back to how they were?

Many thanks
Richard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mate has resized itself

Post by coffee412 »

Go to Menu/Preferences/Display and see what your resolution is. That might be your issue. Strange that it would resize itself though. Normally it should autodetect your monitor and set the right display for it.

Let me know if changing the resolution works for you.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj »

coffee412 wrote:Go to Menu/Preferences/Display and see what your resolution is. That might be your issue. Strange that it would resize itself though. Normally it should autodetect your monitor and set the right display for it.

First thing I checked was the display and it was set correctly.
The strange thing is I have just booted in to mate and all is back to normal, no idea what was going on, PC throwing a wobbly.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Richardj wrote:
coffee412 wrote:Go to Menu/Preferences/Display and see what your resolution is. That might be your issue. Strange that it would resize itself though. Normally it should autodetect your monitor and set the right display for it.

The strange thing is I have just booted in to mate and all is back to normal, no idea what was going on, PC throwing a wobbly.
I have noticed on some desktops that they're desktop settings are tied in closely to the file manager. For instance, I run a CentOS7 server and when first installed the desktop icons where HUGE. I opened up the file manager and they were the same size as the desktop icons and text. So in the file manager under 'view' you can zoom in/out. I zoomed out and it affected the desktop as well. I dont think this is an issue with the Mate desktop as I just tried it on my 'daily driver' and it didnt make a difference. So, I assume thats separate from the file manager settings.

I guess as this point its a quark with your graphics driver (?). I dont know for sure - just guessing. Glad you were able to 'fix' it. :)

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj »

coffee412 wrote:
Richardj wrote:

I have noticed on some desktops that they're desktop settings are tied in closely to the file manager. For instance, I run a CentOS7 server and when first installed the desktop icons where HUGE. I opened up the file manager and they were the same size as the desktop icons and text. So in the file manager under 'view' you can zoom in/out. I zoomed out and it affected the desktop as well. I dont think this is an issue with the Mate desktop as I just tried it on my 'daily driver' and it didnt make a difference. So, I assume thats separate from the file manager settings.

I guess as this point its a quark with your graphics driver (?). I dont know for sure - just guessing. Glad you were able to 'fix' it. :)

coffee
This is the first time it has done it.
That was last evening and it was like it when I shut it down. This morning it was back to normal when it had booted up. It's those pesky gremlins :mrgreen:

Return to “MATE”