Need help installing Linux Mint, all intel agencies trying to stop me

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AustinChristTexas

Need help installing Linux Mint, all intel agencies trying to stop me

Post by AustinChristTexas »

Long story short, I am attempting to install linux mint on my laptop and have so far been unsuccessful as to the best method to do so. I want to use the USB method. Disk is not an option as my laptop is a newer dell model and doesn't have disk slot.

I'm dealing with a lot of intel agencies. All of them really. Anyways I really just want linux to make it more difficult for them in general and because I can't stand windows any longer. If you can help me I'd appreciate it greatly as would the Universe.

[Mod note: Link to a forum removed. Anything political is off-topic here. Please do not post such links.]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Need help installing Linux Mint, all intel agencies trying to stop me

Post by Moem »

Hello, welcome. I suggest you start by reading the documentation.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AustinChristTexas

Yes I understand the docu.

My main question is though, will an external hard drive work or ONLY a USB flash drive for the USB install option?

My USB external HardDrive is in D Drive slot and I can't/don't know how to get it where it needs to be so I can find it on the USB installer app in the video. It doesn't show up bc it's in the wrong drive slot. What can I do to fix this? TYVM
AustinChristTexas

Actually come to think of it, if I had to resort to a paid linux distro, which would be the best current, most updated frequently to use for personal use?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

AustinChristTexas wrote:Actually come to think of it, if I had to resort to a paid linux distro, which would be the best current, most updated frequently to use for personal use?
You may think that a paid distro will give you more up top date software. The opposite is true ... they're even more conservative than Ubuntu eg.

I'm still trying to figure out what Intel 'agancies' have to do with anything here.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

the first mistake most newbies make in trying to install from usb is that they havent gone into the bios to signify that the usb is the first boot device in sequence...its easy to do...first plug the usb into the usb slot...next, while starting up the computer either f2 or delete button to bring up bios...from there go into the boot sector and designate the usb as the first boot device...press f10 to save and reboot...usb linux mint iso should come up...just follow the install instructions very carefully from there...DAMIEN
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AustinChristTexas wrote:My main question is though, will an external hard drive work or ONLY a USB flash drive for the USB install option?
I'm not sure, but why wouldn't you just use a USB flash drive?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If you are concerned about intel agencies accessing your information, there a a number of good websites dealing with that sort of thing. This might be a good place to start:

https://www.eff.org/
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

AustinChristTexas wrote:My USB external HardDrive is in D Drive slot and I can't/don't know how to get it where it needs to be so I can find it on the USB installer app in the video. It doesn't show up bc it's in the wrong drive slot. What can I do to fix this?
Normally, you connect a USB external hard-drive to the computer through the USB ports located on the outside of the laptop/computer and not through the internal drive slots or bays located inside the laptop or desktop tower.
... A USB external hard-drive usually consists of a normal internal hard-drive that is put inside an enclosure or casing together with a USB adaptor. This internal hard-drive can be unplugged from the USB enclosure/casing and then plugged into the hard-drive slot/bay inside the laptop or desktop.

Please refer to ... https://askubuntu.com/questions/446682/ ... hard-drive
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276
(for Legacy BIOS install of LM on external hard-drive, ie not UEFI)
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Here's a strategy for UEFI. A bit complicated and haven't tested myself yet, but fabien85 reports good results.
AustinChristTexas

DAMIEN1307 wrote:the first mistake most newbies make in trying to install from usb is that they havent gone into the bios to signify that the usb is the first boot device in sequence...its easy to do...first plug the usb into the usb slot...next, while starting up the computer either f2 or delete button to bring up bios...from there go into the boot sector and designate the usb as the first boot device...press f10 to save and reboot...usb linux mint iso should come up...just follow the install instructions very carefully from there...DAMIEN

Aight thank you so much for that!
AustinChristTexas

Thanks all for help. If I have any more q's I'll ask.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hey austin...just let me know if that worked for you OK?...DAMIEN
sbroccolo

Post by sbroccolo »

If you are having trouble creating a bootable "Live" USB in Windows, Rufus, a free download, is your best bet.
If building one yourself is not an option, you can buy one from the Linux Mint store for $15. Make sure you pick the correct, 32 or 64 bit, version.
As far as using an external HDD versus a USB stick, they boot the same. But using an HDD for Live is a bit of a waste.
However, booting from a Live USB stick then installing onto an external HDD is an excellent approach if installing onto your machines internal HDD is not an option or just something you wish to avoid.
Follow the previous directions on changing the BIOS to allow booting from a USB device.

Good Luck!
nullsteph

Post by nullsteph »

I had a little trouble with a USB but simply ensuring BIOS was set to EUFI and using a USB2 port solved it.
I created a bootable USB using the DD command.

Bootable ISO->USB

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdb

Return to “Beginner Questions”