Installing Canon Pixma printers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eridanus7
Level 3
Level 3

Installing Canon Pixma printers

Post by Eridanus7 »

Previous posts ( viewtopic.php?f=51&t=246120 and viewtopic.php?f=51&t=247471 ) described using the Canon print & scan drivers and using with a mobile.

Can now confirm that these drivers work in Mint 18.2.

Mint Mate 18.2 with kernel 4.4.0-45
Mint Xfce 18.2 with kernel 4.10..0-30 (different machines)

One interesting point, beware of cheap USB leads.

The Canon installer will recognise the USB attached printer and install the drivers, however when one tries to scan / print the driver reports “cannot find printer”.

The scan and print functions will work if one simply replaces the USB lead with a better quality one. Obviously the bit rate required to recognise the printer during setup is much less than that required for scanning or printing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing Canon Pixma printers

Post by deepakdeshp »

This is a good site for Mint 18 tips and cannon printers running on Mint 18.x
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/18
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Eridanus7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eridanus7 »

I agree it is a great site, anyone interested in using Linux Mint should visit that site.
Probably best to start at;-

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home

to view all the wealth of tips to be found there.

I started by viewing this site. However, some Canon instructions are no longer current an example would be reference to the command "scangearmp" which Canon have now changed to "scangearmp2" so I followed the Canon install guides. Mentioned in one of my previous posts.
To be fair "scangearmp" might still be used in some driver versions, but not in the TS5050 ones I used.
rdcuff

Post by rdcuff »

I started by viewing this site. However, some Canon instructions are no longer current an example would be reference to the command "scangearmp" which Canon have now changed to "scangearmp2" so I followed the Canon install guides. Mentioned in one of my previous posts.
Many thanks for mentioning that; I was pulling my few hairs out, not finding 'scangearmp' when instead I should have been looking for 'scangearamp2". This worked with my new PIXMA MX492.
Eridanus7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eridanus7 »

Hi rdcuff,

Glad to have been some help. Hope you still have some hair left!

If any Lubuntu users are scanning the Mint forums for help, as has been found in the past, note the following;-

Cups printing support is not loaded in Lubuntu.

Load CUPS with Synaptic Package Manager, not with "apt"

Look for "Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD/driver support, web interface"
This will load all the other required packages.

Do this first, before running the Canon IJ Printer Driver "cnijfilter2" or it's equivalent.

If you have already loaded "cnijfilter" it may be best to remove it, with Synaptic before installing CUPS.

After installing IJ Printer Driver then install "scangearmp2"
gizmo13

Post by gizmo13 »

For people with OLDer printers...

I don't claim this to be original as I was helped a lot by "Mr Google", but I couldn't find the complete process documented, so I hope this is of interest to someone other than myself, and may apply to other printers...?

I have Canon Pixma ip1600 which has worked fine for ages on my Mint 17.3 system, installed as an LPD networked device using the Pixma ip2200 driver from the "Michael-Gruz" repo.

I finally got around to building a new 18.2 system and tried to add the same printer.

First problem - Canon no longer have Linux drivers available for that age/range of printers, so I needed to add the "Michael-Gruz"repo as a "PPA", as I had done on 17.3.
Second problem - I couldn't add the Michael-Gruz using the PPA process as 18.2 checks and returned the message "no xenial support"!

I then found a reference on the web (sorry, can't remember where I saw it now) saying that the repo could be added as a complete URL but not as a PPA directly, and that the drivers in the Ubuntu "Utopic" branch of michael-gruz worked on 18.2. - I tried this, as follows, and it worked...

So, instead of adding the repo using the "PPA" button, I used the "Additional Repositories" button and added the full URLs, in my case as :-

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/c ... unk/ubuntu utopic main
... and ...
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/c ... unk/ubuntu utopic main

After an apt-get update and a restart of Synaptic, I found that the entries now showed in the "PPA" pane of the "Software Sources" display ( Note, you may find that the reference now says "..../ubuntu xenial main" , if so, change it to read "...../ubuntu utopic main"!! ).

Then I used "Synaptic" to install the driver - in my case this was "cnijfilter-ip2200series-32"

Note that this code is actually 32-bit, and my system is 64-bit, however, with the dual architecture support in Mint, it still works, for now at least!
You can check that you have this support using a terminal window and the commands:-

dpkg --print-architecture (... should return "amd64" if you have a 64-bit system)
and
dpkg --print-foreign-architectures (... should return "i386" to show that 32-bit support is there)

This support used to be referred to as "MultiArch"; it seems to be already included in 18.2!

NOW, when you try to add the printer ( "Menu - System Settings - Printers" ), you should be able to select the device type you need ( or, in my case, one that approximates to it - so for my ip1600 I used ip2200) and install the printer successfully.
Eridanus7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eridanus7 »

That's a useful post gizmo13.

With that you have enabled help for the latest and some of the OLDer Canon printers via this post.

Great addition, thanks for your time.
mrjimphelps

Quick and easy way to fix problems with your Canon Pixma printer install

Post by mrjimphelps »

Recently I discovered a very quick and very easy way to fix a problem I was having with printing on my Canon Pixma printer.

The problem:
Printing had shrunk down to a very small size. It was as if it was printing on 3 X 5 paper rather than 8.5 X 11 paper.

Temporary workaround:
I found a workaround, not a solution, when I discovered that printing a PDF document didn't have the problem; PDF documents printed correctly. So my workaround was to save to PDF, then print the PDF.

The solution:
After a while I got tired of that, so I began in earnest to try to find a solution. Finally, I simply went to Add a Printer, and I added the printer again. The new printer profile printed correctly, so I deleted the old one! It was that simple!
Eridanus7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eridanus7 »

Hi mrjimphelps

Helpful post, many thanks for the addition to this thread.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

perhaps mrjim would disclose which Pixma printer he has .....................
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

pdc_2 wrote:perhaps mrjim would disclose which Pixma printer he has .....................
Sorry about that! :oops: I was at my job and couldn't remember the exact model number.

Canon Pixma MG 2922 Printer/Scanner/Copier.

Cost $32 at Walmart!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks; so not sure which driver you are using: Canon supply a driver for you; it comes down as cnijfilter2-5.00-1-deb.tar.gz from here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 26502.html

this cnijfilter2-5.00 seems to drive all their recent inkjet devices;

to install, if one downloads to SAVE; then the commands in a terminal are:
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter2-5.00-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter2-5.00-1-deb
./install.sh

and that final command runs the install script; your existing driver likely says Gutenprint: you can check by right-clicking on its icon in the PRINTERS folder; and looking in the MAKE & MODEL line ............

adding the Canon driver you can name it so it is easy to spot
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

I'll have to try that -- not only the file you are suggesting, but also the install commands.

I tried installing it before, but it didn't work. I probably left a command out.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mrjimphelps wrote:I'll have to try that -- not only the file you are suggesting, but also the install commands.

I tried installing it before, but it didn't work. I probably left a command out.
Download the driver from Canon's site and install packages using Gdebi.
https://www.canon-europedrivers.com/can ... -download/

For printer -> http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/010000626 ... deb.tar.gz

For scanner -> http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/010000627 ... deb.tar.gz
printer driver.png
mrjimphelps

Re: Installing Canon Pixma scanners

Post by mrjimphelps »

I have not been able to get my Canon Pixma 2922 scanner to work straight-up in Linux Mint. However, I did find a way to get it to work, and it works well: I first installed VMWare Workstation Player, with WIndows7 Ultimate 32-bit as the OS. I then installed the Canon software (which came with the printer) inside of the VMWare session.

I set it up as a wifi printer/scanner. However, the VMWare session couldn't find it; so I chose the option to set up a network printer by temporarily connecting it with a USB cable. The VMWare session then found it and configured it, and I was then able to disconnect the USB cable.

I can now scan from Linux via the VMWare session. I am using the latest version of NAPS2, with Twain as the scanner protocol.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”