Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Spinner912
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Two different Linux versions on same drive

Post by Spinner912 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 am

I am running a 64Bit Motherboard on my desktop PC. For some reason, until now 32Bit versions of Linux (Ubuntu and then later, Mint) have been installed on this PC for years. Currently Mint MATE 18.1 32Bit is installed and running on this drive.
My question is, can I install Mint MATE 18.2 64Bit on the same hard drive as the current Mint MATE 32Bit? Are there any special steps which would need to be taken from the 64Bit Live DVD?
Although I do not expect it will further complicate things, on this same PC, Windows 10 is also operating but on a separate HDD. The OS of choice is selectable by a GRUB menu at boot.
Last edited by Spinner912 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Two different Linux versions on same drive

Post by Moem » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:19 am

Yes, you can do that without any problems. There are no special steps involved; it's just another dual boot. Or in your case, triple boot.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Two different Linux versions on same drive

Post by Pierre » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:27 am

you can run any number of Linux Systems - - provided that they are in different partitions . . .

surprisingly - you can even run Two Different Linux Systems, together - in a shared /home partition,
- provided that there is a different UserName for each Operating System.
and that those two different operating systems, have separate / root partition
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Installation & Boot”