Ubuntu 17.10 Vs Mint

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Ubuntu 17.10 Vs Mint

Mint
75%
Ubuntu 17.10
4%
Unsure
8%
Don't care
13%

Total votes: 48

Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Ubuntu 17.10 Vs Mint

Post by Lucap »

Well it was a short love affair for a couple of weeks and then i found out i couldn't live without Mint. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 Vs Mint

Post by Pjotr »

Mint of course. The short-lived intermediate "standard" Ubuntu releases like 17.10, are simply not in the same league as its LTS brothers (which form the base of Linux Mint).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I like Ubuntu 17.10 so far but still have LM 18 installed on another laptop
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Asking this on the Ubuntu forum will get very different results... :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote:Asking this on the Ubuntu forum will get very different results... :wink:
I doubt it. Knowledgeable Ubuntu users know the quality difference between standard releases and LTS releases, and also know that Mint is essentially Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with some extras. :)
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I added Unsure for the undecided. :)
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Is it a bit pedantic to ask whether we should be thinking about 18.2, or any LM release? :)
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Mint was vague as I was trying to avoid the desktops arguments going by the KDE threads. :)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote:
Moem wrote:Asking this on the Ubuntu forum will get very different results... :wink:
I doubt it. Knowledgeable Ubuntu users know the quality difference between standard releases and LTS releases, and also know that Mint is essentially Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with some extras. :)
As an ex Ubuntu user (who may switch back to Kubuntu) who gets most of his useful info from Ubuntu support sites, I can say that's 100% true. I only ever used non LTS Ubuntu releases for hardware support reasons.

However I think of Mint as a sort of hybrid. 18.2 uses the same kernel as the 17.04 release for example.

BTW this is the most utterly pointless poll I've ever seen here, and that's saying something.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Hoser Rob wrote:However I think of Mint as a sort of hybrid. 18.2 uses the same kernel as the 17.04 release for example.
Not quite. The point releases of an Ubuntu LTS, starting with the second one (e.g. 16.04.2), also have a short-lived kernel. For reasons of hardware support. :)
minitux

Post by minitux »

In my opinion, it is a comparison that can not be done, because Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu LTS and Ubuntu 17.10 is a non-LTS and experimental

I did not vote
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The actual question is missing.
It could be "What are you using?" or "which one do you like best?" or "which one would you recommend to your uncle?" I answered it as if it were the first one.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

It was intentionally Vague just as a conversation starter so that people are free to say what they wish without the OCD type getting themselves upset with the off topic rants.

And talking of OCD, one of the nuances that annoys the crap out of me with 17.10 was no right click option to add a new text file in folders.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Lucap wrote:It was intentionally Vague just as a conversation starter so that people are free to say what they wish without the OCD type getting themselves upset with the off topic rants.

And talking of OCD, one of the nuances that annoys the crap out of me with 17.10 was no right click option to add a new text file in folders.
Lucap, there is any easy fix, try

Code: Select all

touch ~/Templates/Text\ File.txt
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Thanks JeremyB » :)

Adding ReadMe files to folders without it was a pain.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Lucap wrote:It was intentionally Vague just as a conversation starter
Very well then. I will give you credit for one thing. Usually when I see polls, not just on forums but everywhere, there isn't an option I really feel fits for me. This one does have an option fit for me.

Don't care.

I use LMDE and true Debian. The only relevance Ubuntu has to me is I like this forum. Since about a month an a half after 18.2 release I haven't had an Ubuntu based version installed on either system even for something to occasionally play around with like I used to do. I'm sure I'll do that again shortly after 18.3 gets released but we'll see how often, if at all, it gets booted up.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Ubuntu is vastly superior, which is why I hang out on the Mint site.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

MintBean wrote:Ubuntu is vastly superior, which is why I hang out on the Mint site.
I am a moderator on ubuntuforums.org also, so I try to remain neutral
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

JeremyB wrote:
MintBean wrote:Ubuntu is vastly superior, which is why I hang out on the Mint site.
I am a moderator on ubuntuforums.org also, so I try to remain neutral
That I did not know. Actually I prefer Mint, which is probably not that surprising given I hang out here.
Penn

Post by Penn »

What makes Ubuntu superior?

That is an honest question. Unless you just gotta have PPAs I don't see how it is superior.

Return to “Chat about Linux”