I made a HUGE mistake - please help! - accidentally formatted a WD external hard drive

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mShu7

I made a HUGE mistake - please help! - accidentally formatted a WD external hard drive

Post by mShu7 »

Short story - I accidentally formatted a WD external hard drive.

Long story - I purchased a new WD external hard drive to replace the one we had because it was getting long in the tooth. We have 1 Macbook Pro and 1 Windows laptop. I'm pretty sure our original WD drive was formatted in HFS+ because we used it on our Mac. Anyway, I had both the original and the new WD hard drives hooked up to my Windows laptop (first mistake, among many). My plan was to format the new drive to exFAT (because I'm moving my Windows machine to Linux Mint). Well, as you could have guessed I formatted the original drive.

After doing some Google'ing, I downloaded software called EaseUS Data Recovery. It had good reviews, etc. The scan took forever but it found everything so I paid the $80 fee to proceed with the data recovery process. The recovery took almost 2 straight days to run but it finally completed. I see all the files, but everything I try to open is corrupted.

As I said earlier, the original drive was HFS+ and when I accidentally formatted it, I used exFAT.

I'm sick to my stomach because my wife is into photography and all of our family photos from the last decade are on this drive. I'm not sure where to go. Please help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mShu7

Re: I made a HUGE mistake - please help!

Post by mShu7 »

Here's a screen shot of the recovery software that shows the data if that provides any other helpful info.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You might try TestDisk/PhotoRec. I have used it and it worked well, and I have seen a lot of people here on the forums recommend it.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
syg00

Post by syg00 »

Your big mistake was to not have regular backups. The normal FOSS answer is testdisk/photorec, but I wouldn't be confident if what you used couldn't do the job.

I have the exact opposite problem - I am forever trying to eliminate the duplicate photos I have spread all over the place.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Whatever you do, do NOT write anything to that drive now, until you've (hopefully) recovered stuff. I've had great luck with testdisk in the past, but only with ext4, fat32, and ntfs, so I dunno about that other one. Best of luck. I did a similar thing once and I totally get the sick to the stomach bit. :(

EDIT:

Oops, ignore that. I totally missed the part about you having already recovered the files, albeit in an unreadable state.
Last edited by Termy on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
MintBean

Re: I made a HUGE mistake - please help! - accidentally formatted a WD external hard drive

Post by MintBean »

Discs, even brand new ones, can go kaput at any second.
Something so important MUST be backed up on a separate disc.

Once you (hopefully) recover your data, back it up immediately.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I made a HUGE mistake - please help! - accidentally formatted a WD external hard drive

Post by Pierre »

if those files were recovered, but now are un-readable, then the EaseUS Data Recovery hasn't done it's job properly.

then, even using Testdisk / Photorec may not help you, now either,
as they are more designed to recover from an deleted situation,
and not the partially recovered situation, that you now do have.

what you now need to do, is to contact the Tech Support of EaseUS Data Recovery,
and explain your current situation, & to see what they can do to help with their product.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Other topics”