So how far off is LMDE 3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Dormant distro ? ...

Post by catweazel »

Que?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

As far as I know, no it's still active and being worked on. Not like Stretch went stable all too long ago, takes the people behind Lmde time to put together the new release, ad in Mint branding and tools etc etc. Though honestly hope they do step up their game. Overwhelming majority of what's used in Lmde has already been put through Debian's exhaustive screening process. So not so much a criticism just an observation. Shouldn't need much by way of additional testing by anyone else. Shouldn't be an over long delay in putting out a new release that's based on it. Only 2 cents and Mint HQ does the work involved so what's, when's etc being their total right to decide.

Again, not criticism just pointless thoughts on this. Ideally a Debian stable based distro would stay closely in step with the Debian releases ( RC's release candidates) and shortly after the official release goes stable, the based distro's branded release iso comes out and does too. Very quickly afterwards. Again though I don't have to do the work and sure Mint HQ has other things to focus on, address and improve that take priority. With limited resources available.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Clem wrote:LMDE 3

It is important for Linux Mint to continue to support LMDE as a fallback option in case Ubuntu ever disappeared and as a development target for the many projects and technologies we work on to guarantee compatibility outside of Linux Mint. It’s a lot of work to support two separate distributions of course (I can’t think of any other project doing that in fact) and LMDE which started as an experiment has obviously a much smaller audience than Linux Mint itself. For these reasons, LMDE is usually very important but not very urgent.

A lot of people asked about LMDE 3 and we now have some information about it.

First, it will be, as predicted, based on Debian Stretch and the codename for LMDE 3 will be “Cindy”.

We’re planning to release LMDE 3 in the first quarter of 2018 and it will ship as a single edition with Cinnamon 3.8.
Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr. Octagon »

Stop! Hammer Time!

Here are minimal 5 Threads opened up in the past 3 weeks which are all about what's going on with LMDE. In every single one of them the same rumors occured or better "uihuih when or whenever" whistles out of the longcase clock.

PLEASE: Just read all the threads where "LMDE 3" is in the headline FIRST... and then think about `why 10 times the same question isn't right`at all!

btw.
And think about why 10 times the same satisfying answer isn't enough, too!

Thanks.
A good stumbler doesn't fall...
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

MintBean wrote:
Clem wrote:LMDE 3

It is important for Linux Mint to continue to support LMDE as a fallback option in case Ubuntu ever disappeared and as a development target for the many projects and technologies we work on to guarantee compatibility outside of Linux Mint. It’s a lot of work to support two separate distributions of course (I can’t think of any other project doing that in fact) and LMDE which started as an experiment has obviously a much smaller audience than Linux Mint itself. For these reasons, LMDE is usually very important but not very urgent.

A lot of people asked about LMDE 3 and we now have some information about it.

First, it will be, as predicted, based on Debian Stretch and the codename for LMDE 3 will be “Cindy”.

We’re planning to release LMDE 3 in the first quarter of 2018 and it will ship as a single edition with Cinnamon 3.8.
I was also wondering about the fate of the LMDE distro until I saw that post by Clem in October News. Debian seems to be in such a political fray ever since 2014 over systemd, that I no longer look at it as being at the pentacle of Linux "stability". I sort of, at least philosophically, gave up on Debian after the demise of Ian a couple of years ago. I'm still following Devuan and its downstream distros like "Refracta", and play around with them in virtualbox. Devuan rallies on, even though they only have 5 developers on their team. Once LMDE 3 comes out, I'll probably give it a shot on one of my laptops, bare metal style.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

c++

Post by c++ »

Sorry !

like 50 themes bout LMDE3

:oops:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I'm very happy with LMDE2 :mrgreen: It's a tank
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Post by ddurdle »

LMDE 3 is coming out in first quarter 2018 but it will be Cinnamon only :(
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

RIP LMDE
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ddurdle wrote:LMDE 3 is coming out in first quarter 2018 but it will be Cinnamon only :(
Well, yes there will only be a LMDE 3 Cinnamon ISO file but you can of course install MATE or any other desktop environments later if you want to.

LMDE 2 has a newer release of MATE than will be in LMDE 3. That's because Linux Mint maintained the latest release of MATE for LMDE 2. On LMDE 3 it would instead come from the Debian stable repository and that focuses on stability and security (you only get security updates for MATE, no new releases). You could potentially use the Debian testing repository to get a newer version of MATE but I can understand this being a disappointment if you were using MATE on LMDE 2.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Thanks
We are still waiting for bug patches for LMDE2. We are months behind.
Peter
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

sdibaja wrote:Thanks
We are still waiting for bug patches for LMDE2. We are months behind.

What 'bugs'? My LMDE2 system runs flawless :D
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Missing features since the May 1.18 "update" have been patched by Mate months ago. Drag/drop to panel is most important for me, but updated LMDE2 still is broken. Fresh install and it works. This was reported long ago but apparently ignored by Mint/Ubuntu.
We would like to resume using LMDE but it no longer fits our work flow.
Peter
c++

Post by c++ »

This distro is SOOOooo underrated ... bein the B E S T :!: :arrow: :idea: :roll:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

sdibaja wrote:Missing features since the May 1.18 "update" have been patched by Mate months ago. Drag/drop to panel is most important for me, but updated LMDE2 still is broken. Fresh install and it works. This was reported long ago but apparently ignored by Mint/Ubuntu.
Oh ... I forgot the MATE thing. I was using it and gave up. I switched to Cinnamon and really like it
c++

Post by c++ »

kovalskisrbzorin wrote:I am waiting till the October
what year ?
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Pepi wrote:
sdibaja wrote:Missing features since the May 1.18 "update" have been patched by Mate months ago. Drag/drop to panel is most important for me, but updated LMDE2 still is broken. Fresh install and it works. This was reported long ago but apparently ignored by Mint/Ubuntu.
Oh ... I forgot the MATE thing. I was using it and gave up. I switched to Cinnamon and really like it
I ended up with Debian Stretch Mate, it is pretty slick.
Peter
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I just tried Debian 9.2 and it's humongous , Hope Clem can trim it down and optimise it for LMDE 3.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Lucap wrote:I just tried Debian 9.2 and it's humongous , Hope Clem can trim it down and optimise it for LMDE 3.
How did you install (iso name, what desktop, etc)?
Debian installs, for me, have always been reasonably small - more so than Mint.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Sorry to be vague , I meant as in pre-installed apps on the Menu as i don't use 60% of the stuff in Mint.

Net install , stable release , Cinnamon

I'm in two minds if to have a play with Unstable via the advanced options or just wait for LMDE 3 :P

Return to “LMDE Archive”