Locking people out of your wireless. [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AK Dave

Re: Locking people out of your wireless.

Post by AK Dave »

Depends on what firmware your wifi router is running, actually. I doubt this would be a challenge if your router is running dd-wrt or some other opensource firmware, but if it is running stock bog-standard generic firmware then this might be impossible.

Nevertheless, if your router supports MAC filtering you could, well, just filter anything that isn't your MAC address.

You could give yourself a static IP and then disable DHCP on the router.

If you just want the internet to get suddenly slow, you could run a bittorrent client on your computer and start seeding Metallica. Its not the downloads on bittorrent that ties up your router, its the uploads and the send requests unless you've throttled your bittorrent yourself. That'll turn everyone ELSE'S connection on your subnet (assuming cheapo consumer-grade wifi router) to sludge-slow.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Here's a non-technical response:

Once discovered, expect an appropriate thrashing for your devious behavior...

DataMan
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

As the father of a teenage "hacker wanabee"-----if he were to be successful with a "joke" like this & after we got done laughing about his little prank, he would be without internet access for 30 to 60 days. :wink:
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

So Grasshopper, you have defeated the admin security on my router. You shall not have it so easy next time, as I have taken the effort to actually secure the router against your intrusion efforts and hired as a consultant a certain unemployed network engineer from San Francisco who shall go nameless at this time. Defeat him, and earn your own network to administer as I kick your scrawny behind out of my subnet forever!
Fred

Post by Fred »

dwt0033,

Hummm... I sincerely doubt Mom and Dad will find your "joke" particularly funny. If it is your first offense you might get off with a warning and 30 days without Internet access. If not, you might have also earned a trip out behind the wood pile. :-)

Fred
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'm not familiar with the linksys firmware, as the first thing I do to any linksys router I get my hands on is burn dd-wrt to it.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Close down access to someone else's open wifi AP:
Step 1. http://www.thepiratebay.org
Fred

Post by Fred »

AK Dave,

Yeah... and when he gets caught at that he really will have earned a trip to the wood pile. :-)

Fred
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Oh Fred, you can't take kids out behind the woodshed anymore. No, the Nanny State has the Nanny Gestapo that considers "discipline" to be grounds for having your parent card revoked.

At home, before I figured out how ugly bittorrent is as a file transfer protocol, I used to willy-nilly setup torrent downloads of various linux isos and go to work. My wife would then be struggling all day trying to figure out why the "internet doesn't work right". She'd reboot the router, reset the cable modem, and get a few minutes of good internet and then it would choke up on her. She'd do that over and over. Then the next day, no problem. A few days later, nightmare day again. Took her about a month of recurrent frustration before she finally asked me if I knew what was happening. Hmm, problems on these specific days? Oh, that was all me.

Point is, even if you have ginormous bandwidth you can choke the heck out of it in a hurry doing some ugly torrenting.

Return to “Beginner Questions”