[b]Solved[/b]Can't bootup my laptop running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BKM

Re: Can't bootup my laptop running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2

Post by BKM »

Can you also tell me how to perform a backup of my data ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Sure! That can be done by copying all of it to a USB drive or external harddisk.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BKM

Post by BKM »

Actually, I wanted to know how can I get those files without booting up ?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

BKM wrote:Actually, I wanted to know how can I get those files without booting up ?
If you can create the USB drive (or DVD), you can use it to boot into a Linux Mint "live" session (without installing anything), which will allow you to copy your files from the hard drive to an external device.

Joe
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Like I said:
- Make the computer boot from the USB drive instead of the harddisk (this may involve changing a setting in the BIOS, this is hardware dependent)
- Once Mint has booted from the USB drive, grab all personal data (documents and other files) and copy them to another USB drive. Check that they are actually copied.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BKM

Post by BKM »

I have downloaded the '.iso' file and am confushed about the burning process. How can I burn the file into my USB for booting up ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You'll find the documentation that comes with Mint here: https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Always a good starting point.

BKM

Post by BKM »

Actually, I don't have my PC nearby and my PC is spoilt. So, I wanted to know how can I burn .iso files in to my U.S.B. drive using Andriod ? Is this possible in any way ?
BKM

Post by BKM »

I tried burning the .iso and booting through U.S.B.. But it shows something as boot error and when I press any key, it keeps on repeating in every line.
BKM

Can't bootup my laptop running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2

Post by BKM »

As I didn't get proper help in Linux Mint Forum, which I didn't expect I had to re-install my the whole Linux Mint Cinnamon OS from the beginning which cost me around ₹500 i.e., ($7.743).. :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”