pmount doesnt work well after suspend

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think suspend and hibernate (have less experience with hibernate) are troublesome regardless of which OS you use.
My recommendation would be not to use suspend, you don't save that much time at boot anyway.
Even if you tried some solution I fear it would not be solved completely - sorry :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Hibernate is scary and can cause really bad things to happen epically if you have complex system disks and/or encryption.
I work with systems with encrypted hard disks and if "some how" the system goes into hibernation that is usually the end of the system. A complete system reinstall is required with loss of all data. (unless you got 3+ months and a big computer to spare).

Stay away from hibernation please.
:cry:
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

My recommendation would be not to use suspend, you don't save that much time at boot anyway.

ahem... I save up at least 2 minutes per boot :D I really like suspend :D
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

@NiksaVel
Wouldn't that be with hibernate? If you get it to work. With suspend you have to read the "image" of your memory created at close down back into memory - somewhat faster, agreed :)
But the point is, if it gives you problems, stay away from it.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

suspend=save stuff to RAM and keep it on
hibernate=save stuff to HDD and shut down

so suspend is faster... also at newer boards, all the "noisy stuff" shuts down at suspend.... all the coolers and stuff ... not sure what is kept powered besides RAM, but for all appearences the comp is OFF except for the blinking power led...

on the older comps that I've tried using (socket A) the coolers remain on in suspend...

I've had my share of bad experiences with hibernate on windows and have learned to stay away from it... although I still use it on my laptop... it saves a LOT of time since I dont have to wait for a dozen security programs to be loaded at startup :evil:

As for suspend, I use it regularly on my desktop (AMD64 3800+/nForce4 ultra mobo) and it works pretty much without a problem... it takes about 3 seconds after pressing the power button for the login screen to appear... a lot less than it takes for my CRT monitor to actually show me the image :lol: :lol: It actually reminds me of the golden era of C=64 and amiga... press the power button and voila :D achhhh the good old days :(
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

Damn, language problems
suspend = vänteläge
hibernate = viloläge
in swedish. I got the translation wrong and if you look at the internet there are a lot of people who don't get it right :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

hehe... that's exactly why I never use an OS translated into Croatian.... besides that I find all the croatian words funny, it is difficult to troubleshoot problems and talk with the international community....

English is todays Latin
-Clem

Return to “Storage”