Cursor and screen problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NPHIMD

Cursor and screen problem

Post by NPHIMD »

Hello,
I am experiencing the same issues as described in here. Unfortunately, the conversation degenerated just as they were getting to the good part.
viewtopic.php?t=76967

The cursor freely escapes the screen by going over the right edge, exceeding almost a third of the screen. Given the X for closing windows is on the right, this is extremely inconvenient.

I am on 1366x768 resolution, and my graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce GT 630M.
I'm running Linux Cinnamon Mint 18.2 64-bit from an USB drive made with Universal USB installer 1.9.7.9 running under Windows.

If you can help with this, greatly appreciate.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cursor and screen problem

Post by Tomgin5 »

Hello NPHIMD .
I read your referenced post and fired up 4 different LM computers, 1 desktop and 3 laptops, all running LM 18.2 Cinnamon 3 are 64 and 1 is 32 bit. 2 use Nividea drivers. None are running second monitors. The curser (arrow pointer) on each of them leave at least a 1 pixel wide image on the right screen edge. It is possible to make the pointer slightly larger in "System Settings" to help keep the image visible on the right edge. LM 18.2 is a lot more sophisticated than LM 11 and there are more tools to mess around with. Good luck!
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

Do you have two monitors or graphics cards? That seemed to be the issue at play in the post you linked.
Please post the results of inxi -G and xrandr as that information may be helpful.
NPHIMD

Post by NPHIMD »

Actually you may be right. This computer has both Intel HD graphics and Nvidia GeForce 630M; perhaps they are being treated as separate displays.

I tried to mess around with Fedora Server, and I had the same problem, except in Fedora, I managed to fix it by going to Display, and noticing I had two displays, one of them extending the other. Disabling the second display constrained the cursor to the actual screen. I'll check if Mint has the same fix right away.

Thank you for your patience!
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

NPHIMD wrote:Actually you may be right. This computer has both Intel HD graphics and Nvidia GeForce 630M; perhaps they are being treated as separate displays.

I tried to mess around with Fedora Server, and I had the same problem, except in Fedora, I managed to fix it by going to Display, and noticing I had two displays, one of them extending the other. Disabling the second display constrained the cursor to the actual screen. I'll check if Mint has the same fix right away.

Thank you for your patience!
Does the GeForce 630M have dual outputs? If so you might be able to run two monitors (separately and not mirrored) off of just that card. I had a similar issue years back and it was solved with a simple DVI to VGA adapter for my second monitor.

Can you disable your Intel HD graphics? From what I have been reading two different graphic cards can cause problems in some cases.

I have been running two monitors off of one Nvidia GeForce GT 740 SC for almost four years without issues by ignoring the on-board graphics and using the adapter.

Best of luck!

BTW if you are only running one monitor the situation is the same, use only one graphics card.

Return to “Beginner Questions”