Anarchy Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Anarchy Linux

Post by Lucap »

Anarchy Linux is a rebrand of Arch-Anywhere , Anyone tried it out yet?

Not sure how i feel about them starting a custom repository as i thought the whole idea and philosophy of Arch-Anywhere was a pure Arch experience made easy?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Faust

Re: Anarchy Linux

Post by Faust »

Ha !
And Ha again !

I saw this very thing last week and it seemed to be just what I've spent years looking for .
An easy way into Arch without all the tears , the shirt-rending , the rage .... etc .

I can't count the number of times I've promised myself that I won't let Arch do that to me , ever again !
( I'm not including Manjaro and Antergos since they are actually quite friendly )

So I spent ( wasted ) the best part of a day last week with " Arch Anywhere " and I still don't have a usable system !
The USB with the installer , and the HDD with the borked install are on my desk as I type , and I'm giving them both the " stink-eye " , right now ,
and if I honored my promises to myself , I should wipe them immediately , and I truly fear that there is something Sheldonesque about my mentality .

I'm no noobie when it comes to this stuff , and I don't throw in the towel easily , but if you have time on your hands , you might consider putting
sharp objects into your eyes as a less painful alternative .

:mrgreen:

But don't let me put you off .... give it a try , and please post back with your experiences , good or bad .
Fellow member @Arch_Enemy writes really excellent stuff on this forum about his ongoing battle of wits with Arch .... well worth a read !

Maybe he will see this and chime in later .

Update :
@Lucap
After finding the link below , I see that you have posted in that thread , so you already have a good idea of what you might be in for :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=248523&p=1339194&h ... y#p1339194
-
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Faust wrote: Update :
@Lucap
After finding the link below , I see that you have posted in that thread , so you already have a good idea of what you might be in for :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=248523&p=1339194&h ... y#p1339194
-
Which is precisely why i asked if anyone else has tried Anarchy since it's rebrand and new ISO release. :D :wink:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

A lot of big talk. Have you seen their support forum? Worse than Zorin.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Faust

Post by Faust »

Lucap wrote: Which is precisely why i asked if anyone else has tried Anarchy
Sorry about that .
But it's like I said .... I wrote the post , then searched for the link after posting , and then I updated .

You asked for experiences with Anarchy Linux and I've given mine ..... :D
Are you going to give at a spin ? ..... post back and let us know .... I'm genuinely interested .
The ball is in your court .

FWIW - my install went fine up to the point of asking for an internet connection .
My network was identified and the key was accepted but something clearly went wrong , so I started again
and tried the "skip" option ..... " set-up wireless later " , or whatever it said .... same result .

All very similar step-wise install processes to every other OS I have tested , but I never had a problem like this before ,
.... apart from previous flirtations with Arch of course .

So for now , that HDD is a paper-weight :lol:
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Only just installed Debian Sid on my test machine and Slax Debian is next :)

I'm going to have to decide on just one or two distro's at some point as even when it does work it still wastes a ridiculous amount of time. :D
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

If you want Arch without the arduous install Antergos is the one. Don't see what another distro could bring to the table that Antergos doesn't if that's what your after.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Lucap wrote:Only just installed Debian Sid on my test machine and Slax Debian is next :)

I'm going to have to decide on just one or two distro's at some point as even when it does work it still wastes a ridiculous amount of time. :D
So what about Anarchy Linux ?

Please don't say that I discouraged you .
I'm already having a bad week , and it's only Monday !
:)
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

151tom wrote:The easy way to install Arch Linux.
Just download the iso and create the bootable media DVD or USB.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/revenge-installer/
Thanks for the link , From the Video it looks like a much better installer.

I'm unsure if i'll be using Arch after my experience with it but if i do i'll try that one instead.

Faust wrote:
So what about Anarchy Linux ?

Please don't say that I discouraged you .
I'm already having a bad week , and it's only Monday !
:)
LOL , i didn't mean i need to decide on a couple of Distro's to try , i meant i need to stop Distro hopping and decide on a couple to use daily with Mint instead of wasting time swapping about. :)

Here is my experience with Anarchy Linux.

If the installer can't ping GitHub and the Arch mirrors it will tell you it has no network connection (as you found out) and refuse to work so i had to enable Wan/Lan ping in my router security settings for it to stop complaining which is just ridiculous.

The menus are clunky but gets the job done but on reboot the Nvidia drivers refused to load , Pacman couldn't repair or reinstall them and the official Nvidia installer locked up at about 60% of the installation so i gave up.

Arch might be fast but i don't need that sort of hassle every time there is a kernel update.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

The installer posted by 151tom is way better than Anarchy as it's all straight to the point without connections problems plus it has firefox if you want to look up anything online.Though after wasting two nights with Arch Linux i'll not be using it again as linux isn't free if you have to waste that amount of time configuring and fighting with it.

As others have said on linux forums , Arch users just like the tippy tappy sound of their keyboard as the faster speed of Arch linux is a psychological illusion as it's just cache optimised to load apps and services really fast but once they are loaded they run at the same speed as any other main distro like Debian.

I've not looked through them yet but someone said that there are benchmarks of default Arch against other Distros on Phoronix.com and it's not as fast as people claim.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Faust wrote:-
You've gone rather quiet , are you trying to install Arch again? :P

I was reading last night about some odd behaviour by the developer of Anarchy as apparently he's been going around online pretending to be different people and asking people to copy and fork the install scripts and then claims his fake persona is retiring.

:shock:
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

MintBean wrote:If you want Arch without the arduous install Antergos is the one. Don't see what another distro could bring to the table that Antergos doesn't if that's what your after.
I've not tried it yet but i see that Antergos has a Mini Net install and Manjaro has a build it yourself Architect ISO so you're right that the others are pointless if you don't need Pure Arch.

I see that the Arch Purists have a problem with them part using their own repo's and accuse them of trying to turn Arch into Debian. :P
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Lucap wrote:
MintBean wrote:I see that the Arch Purists have a problem with them part using their own repo's and accuse them of trying to turn Arch into Debian. :P
Meh... Arch purists have a problem with everything and don't see why any other distro other than plain old Arch should exist. :D
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Manjaro Architect ISO

OMG! :shock:

How can anyone use Manjaro , it's like someone has thrown a paintbox and the kitchen sink at Arch, i can't take it serious even when you turn the themes off.

Even with the minimal option it installed tons of crud i would never user and it's slower than debian 9 to load apps like firefox , it's only one saving grace was that it installed Nvidia drivers and the Libs correctly but alot of the apps like firefox were older than Debian Sid and it's spongy response didn't feel like i was using Arch.

Antergos next. :)
Faust

Post by Faust »

Lucap wrote: You've gone rather quiet , are you trying to install Arch again? :P
I'm still around , but I simply don't have anything constructive to add here .

It's not in my nature to quit on things just because the going gets tough , but in this case I'm going to make an exception :!:

I'm not even sure now why I wanted pure Arch so much anyway . Antergos and Manjaro didn't give me much trouble ,
but I have barely used them after the first few days of " road-testing " .

As for the name " Arch Anywhere " , it seems to be a misnomer .
" Arch Nowhere " fits better with my experience :)

.... still no word from fellow member " Arch Enemy " on this , and looking at his posts he is clearly more determined
than most to get Arch working the way he wants .

BTW - I noticed that I may have previously used the names "Anarchy Linux" and "Arch Anywhere" interchangeably ,
and I realize that they are not quite the same , but the results ARE .
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I don't feel any sense of achievement or satisfaction with using command line that others seem to have, i just feel a sense of disappointment of time wasted. I know people that still use untar on a zip file rather than just using a single right click option on your mouse considering you end up with the exact same extracted folder.

The only one thing that appeals to me about Arch and why i'm still playing with it is a desktop from scratch but i can't see myself wasting time having to nursemaid the kernel and Nvidia drivers every time their is a new release , plus Arch is not family friendly as even my elderly Uncles can use Debian.

Antergos is better than Manjaro but its still someone else's idea of a desktop rather than just Arch plus the Nvidia drivers didn't work without me fixing them for my PC.

Debian 9 Sid is a breeze , install , click synaptics and install , reboot and done. :P
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:If you want Arch without the arduous install Antergos is the one. Don't see what another distro could bring to the table that Antergos doesn't if that's what your after.
Running on Ryzen gear, for one.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Faust wrote:It's not in my nature to quit on things just because the going gets tough , but in this case I'm going to make an exception :!:
I'm now pretty much in agreement. :)

Don't know why i've even been wasting my time reading guides on how to install a basic Arch desktop as i've just realised that i would need to build about 6 desktops from scratch with the amount of Computers and laptops we have here so it is just not a practical learning curve to go through, one desktop is bad enough collecting and installing all the things you need let alone having to do it 6 different ways and trying to remember to install the small things like ntfs-3g just so you can mount a NTFS drive. :roll:

I'll only be trying pre-configured Arch installs from now on and from what i've just been reading ArchLang and ArchBang are supposed to be really good if you don't mind a stripped back desktop with a undocked menu , so they are next on my list try.
Last edited by Lucap on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Lucap wrote:...... i've just been reading ArchLang and ArchBang are supposed to be really good if you don't mind a stripped back desktop with a undocked menu , so they are next on my list try.
With all of the Arch fun going on ( not ! ) , I completely forgot about ArchBang .

I've just searched my box of pen-drives and there it was ( I'm pleased that I took the time to label them all :) )
and I don't recall it being picky about which ISO writing tool was used , which means I probably would have used dd or Unetbootin .
As you say , it is a stripped down version .... but at least it comes with a desktop !

" No fear no hate no pain no broken hearts " ....
Ha !

Update : it looks like I used YUMI on a windows box to write the ArchBang image to USB , also
in my notes it says " No auto-detection of available networks and R-click on empty desktop space to get start a menu "
I would definitely have taken it for my standard " spin round the block " at the time , but I can't find any notes on my opinions.
If it was aces I certainly would not have forgotten it , but if it was cack I would have wiped it , I can't say more than that .

Hope that's of some use .... do tell how it goes if you try it :)

PS - I stated in another thread that I was all done with distro-hopping , but the facts may indicate that I lied :)
I'm checking out Mageia right now as I write , to evaluate it's claim of being "security focused " .... we will see .
( BTW - nothing to do with Arch :lol: )

Return to “Chat about Linux”