Should Linux Mint have a Mascot?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Does Mint need a mascot of some kind?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Yes, definitely
31%
No, mascots are dumb
52%
I don't care
17%

Total votes: 29

H.Remedy

Re: Should Linux Mint have a Mascot?

Post by H.Remedy »

I'd love to see a mascot if it were designed well. The problem is, it's very difficult to design a mascot for a product that has been around for a long time without a mascot. The odds are actually very high that you will alienate a bunch of existing users.

Someone above mentioned the Energizer bunny. This is an excellent example of how a successful mascot can be created for a pre-existing product. The Energizer bunny succeeded for a few reasons:
  • it was cute (like most Linux mascots)
  • It was funny (again, like most Linux mascots)
  • It wasn't a cartoonized version of the product itself (they were selling batteries but their mascot was a bunny!)
  • It did something that indirectly demonstrated the product in action (i.e. the bunny itself was powered by batteries)
  • It had a memorable catch-phrase (that was verbalized by a narrator rather than by the bunny itself!)
  • Perhaps most interestingly, it was an overt parody of a competitor's mascot (believe it or not, there once was a Duracell bunny. True story!)
So the marketing company was really clever in how they approached the problem. What lessons can we draw here for Linux Mint? A good mascot would be:
  • Cute and funny
  • Not anything directly to do with mint plants. Maybe not even green-coloured!
  • Somehow evocative of the attributes we want to stress about Linux Mint (ease of use? stability? friendly community?)
As for parodies, I don't actually recommend parodying anyone. But we've probably all seen that hilarious image of Tux holding a fly swatter as the Windows butterfly flies by... LOL. That's how a parody could work.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I just use the angry green penguin.
lexon

Post by lexon »

NO. We don't need one. Ok, back to real life.

L
LIGNUX

Post by LIGNUX »

Those who wish to graphically personalize their minty distribution may have a look among the some 1,000 thematic logos already posted ;)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=244924

For mangas lovers

Last edited by LIGNUX on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

It would really pretty if linux mint brand have something like this

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Um, nope.

And what the heck is it with this sexist crap? It's childish and utterly inappropriate.

LM already has a nice logo. Leave it at that and call it good.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Debowy_Mocny

Post by Debowy_Mocny »

Hello. Well guys, mascot is not a stupid idea.

Mascot can be good but not anime girl.

But well you know guy called "Tyson tan"? He created konqi and kiki.
Tyson tan also told on twiter, he will design mascot for every free software project wanting a mascot. So... mint team can ask tyson tan to design mascot for linux mint of course can tell what they except. Something friendly, can be cute but not "Perverted" (Something more konqi than kiki). I think is the best idea because linux mint team doesent need to care about designing mascot by itself, and i think tyson tan will feel better because actually he will make something what will be used (because some time he designed mascot for libre office but sadly it was just rejected "for reasons". That made him feel waste his work and time)

Mascot can be used in merchandise for example on tshirts and mugs. Also mascot will give linux mint some... personality.

From my observation even if good product had mascot it didnt negatively affected when it came to cooperate with professional customers but in other way it takes attention from less professional users and makes product more memorable... people see product as less boring (Linux overall is used by professionals and linux has mascot and people when see "Tux", linux comes to their mind).

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”