intel HD2000 diagonal page-tearing issue on Muffin compositor with cinnamon-desktop

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unuser

intel HD2000 diagonal page-tearing issue on Muffin compositor with cinnamon-desktop

Post by unuser »

I am rather new to linuxmint but i have worked with linux in the past.

The System my issue appears on is a x64 Lenovo e130 with pentium997 and LinuxMint18.
I have updated to 18.2-sonya directly after installing.

When scrolling a website up and down or when moving windows on the desktop
i noticed a page-tearing that was diagonal.
I could have ignored it for a while but this would drive me mad at some point to i asked for help in IRC.

They pointed me to "Option" "tearfree" wich i used.
This option instantly speeded up the system: programs that used 14% CPU time now all use 10% and less,
but the page-tearing was still there.
i switched off compositing in cinnamon-settings and the tearing was a lot less.
Still not gone! especially when scrolling websites this was not acceptable.

There is no "Compizconfig-settings-manager" in muffin, so i searched for other solutions.
Now i use "Budgie" Desktop Env but to be honest: cinnamon is more powerful.

I do like Budgie, and it works well, the diagonal page-tearing is 99% gone
but i miss cinnamon!

If anyone had an idea on how i could get rid of that page-tearing *and* have muffin+cinnamon up and running,
please do not hesitate and kill me with all your questions and requests,
i am going to assist as good as i can hunting down those ripped-off pages(page-tearing).

yours

--unuser
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: intel HD2000 diagonal page-tearing issue on Muffin compositor with cinnamon-desktop

Post by MintBean »

Take a look in the release notes for 18.2 regarding the 'nomodesetting driver' and if applicable to your system, apply that. For me it gives total tear free using CPU inbuilt graphics, but still some problems (but improved) using my discrete nvidia card.

When 18.3 comes out in the next 3-4 weeks, look at the release notes and there *should* be information on upgrading to x.org server 1.19 which so I'm told fixes tearing. Obviously, upgrade to 18.3 first - an option will appear in the update manager menu shortly after the ISO is released. There will be an announcement.

Personally, I will not use the tearfree option you mention unless the above fails. All the other stuff such as the aforementioned tearfree seem to be workarounds that marginally improve but do not fix the underlying sync problems.
unuser

Re: intel HD2000 diagonal page-tearing issue on Muffin compositor with cinnamon-desktop

Post by unuser »

MintBean wrote:Take a look in the release notes for 18.2 regarding the 'nomodesetting driver' and if applicable to your system, apply that. (...)

When 18.3 comes out in the next 3-4 weeks, look at the release notes and there *should* be information on upgrading to x.org server 1.19 which so I'm told fixes tearing. Obviously, upgrade to 18.3 first - an option will appear in the update manager menu shortly after the ISO is released. There will be an announcement.

Personally, I will not use the tearfree option you mention unless the above fails. All the other stuff such as the aforementioned tearfree seem to be workarounds that marginally improve but do not fix the underlying sync problems.
Thanks, MintBean.
I have tried "nomodeset" but this leads to Xorg not being able to detect my screen-resolution. i have tried to run xorg again without "tearfree" option but all it gives me is 640x480.

On my laptop the option "tearfree" does a great job so i switched it back on and removed the nomodeset entry from grub.
Let's see on how the new xorg-server handles synchronization.
As far as i know only the "wayland" server is actually able to provide a fully tear-free experience.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

My bad, I should have said 'modesetting,' not 'nomodesetting.' This is what I was referring to:
Cinnamon freezes when changing resolution (Intel GPU)

If your Intel GPU is recent enough (2007 or newer) it is recommended to remove the legacy Intel driver "xserver-xorg-video-intel" and to use the built-in modesetting driver instead:

apt remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
sudo reboot

Not only will the modesetting fix the freeze issue when changing resolutions, it should also work better with Cinnamon and produce better performance.

The legacy driver is no longer maintained and only useful for the old i800x and i900x family of chipsets.

If you are using one of these old chipsets or if you do not want to use the modesetting driver, an alternative is to continue to use the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" driver, but to disable VSync:

echo CLUTTER_VBLANK=none >> ~/.profile

Log out for this change to take effect, and please be aware that disabling Vsync might result in video screen tearing.
unuser

Post by unuser »

MintBean wrote:My bad, I should have said 'modesetting,' not 'nomodesetting.' This is what I was referring to: (...)
Ha-ha, no problem, i that case i am going to try again!
rebooting right now.
be right back.
unuser

Post by unuser »

I have removed the xorg-intel driver, now i am back to software-rendering.
modeset driver is loading and i can see that it does not provide direct rendering.

did i miss something? is it possible to make the modeset driver interact with proprietary intel drivers?
software-rendering is not better than some occasional page-tearing.
unuser

Post by unuser »

...but because my system is running even better now that i "reverted" my change (xorg-driver-intel) i had a look at the configs.
My finding was that the intel driver now detected that i have installed "i965_va_driver" VAAPI:
[ 18.485] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[ 18.485] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] DRI driver: i965
[ 18.485] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] VDPAU driver: va_gl
[ 18.485] (II) intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 enabled
[ 18.485] (II) intel(0): hardware support for Present enabled
searching for page tearing now...
Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice.

Baruch Spinoza
unuser

Post by unuser »

still searching for page-tearing... i think i might have lost it. poor thing i hope it will find someone new to bother.

back in cinnamon:
*i am currently running "cpuburn" on both of the processors cores to generate some load.
*i have switched on all effects and compositing and try to figure which of the effects i'd like to see!

Thanks for the assistance, re-installing xorg-video-intel did the trick!
unuser

Post by unuser »

i found it!
the page-tearing did some hide-and-seek with me... it is safe back home now!
:lol:

but it is easy to ignore i really need to actively look for it.
hig-frequency page-tearing... still diagonal, still happening (at least in firefox with cinnamon and all compositing effects turned on).
i can live with that but i cannot wait for the new xorg-server to see if they fixed it and how.

yours

--unuser
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Wait for the 18.3 release notes I mentioned. I had a look at the release notes for the 18.3 beta and there's nothing new mentioned, but the roadmap says it will be put in before final release.
Last edited by MintBean on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unuser

Post by unuser »

MintBean wrote:oWait for the 18.3 release notes I mentioned. I had a look at the release notes for the 18.3 beta and there's nothing new mentioned, but the roadmap says it will be put in before final release.
roger that.
today i have noticed the diagonal page tearing was back to "normal" meaning one "cut" at the center of the screen that tears the pages diagonally.
Then i switched from youtube-fullscreen back to the browser to use facebook and : *BOOM* cinnamon crashed.
now i am running some kind of compatibility-mode of cinnamon and completely without page tearing.

this is strange because the Xorg server did not crash, it was cinnamon that crashed. (maybe muffin?)

i think i am going to go back to budgie then because i cannot have crashes just because of some youtube running in fullscreen.

--unuser
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The issue may be the other driver you installed - in my experience, the open source drivers are the ones to use for Mint with Intel graphics - i.e. don't install stuff you find on the net. All you should have to do is install the modesetting driver as recommended for tearfree graphics. If you've got a dual graphics machine with a discrete GPU, ensure that is not selected.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”