How to make linux single from dual boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
verhooo

How to make linux single from dual boot?

Post by verhooo »

I installed linux mint along with windows 10, on 2 partitions.
Now that i like the linux, i want to make it permament with 1 partition, How?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: How to make linux single from dual boot?

Post by michael louwe »

Best to backup your data and reinstall LM as a single-boot.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

michael louwe wrote:Best to backup your data and reinstall LM as a single-boot.
That's definitely not necessary.

Best (most simple) approach: boot Mint from the DVD, launch GParted, and format the Windows partition(s) into a big storage partition (EXT4). You can use that for "dumb" storage from then on.

Then boot into your installed Mint and run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Pjotr, .......
Pjotr wrote:That's definitely not necessary.

Best (most simple) approach: boot Mint from the DVD, launch GParted, and format the Windows partition(s) into a big storage partition (EXT4). You can use that for "dumb" storage from then on.

Then boot into your installed Mint and run this command:

sudo update-grub.
It is always better and faster to install the / or root or system partition at the beginning of the disk for a single-boot system, especially for a HDD.

Your recommendation will have the Linux / partition remain at or near the end of the disk = slower system. Also, your recommendation will likely bork the whole system because the Windows Boot Partition where Grub is installed has been formatted or deleted.

That is also why the MBR Boot Partition or EFI System/Boot Partition and their associated bootloaders should be installed at the beginning of the disk = faster boot time.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote:It is always better and faster to install the / or root or system partition at the beginning of the disk for a single-boot system, especially for a HDD.

Your recommendation will have the Linux / partition remain at or near the end of the disk = slower system.
Slower by how much? 0.5 milliseconds?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

michael louwe wrote:Your recommendation will have the Linux / partition remain at or near the end of the disk = slower system.
That has already been debunked by catweazel, so I won't comment on that.
Also, your recommendation will likely bork the whole system because the Windows Boot Partition where Grub is installed has been formatted or deleted.
Obviously, that partition shouldn't be touched because it's not a Windows partition, but a general purpose partition which also caters to Linux. It's indeed useful to point this out to the OP.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Let's cut the fud.

Open a terminal and post the output of

sudo parted -l
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Pjotr wrote:
michael louwe wrote:Your recommendation will have the Linux / partition remain at or near the end of the disk = slower system.
That has already been debunked by catweazel, so I won't comment on that..
His statement (an absolute time) didn't make any sense when speaking of transfer speeds, so I wouldn't call it a debunking; I'd call it a conceptual error.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/255224/ ... mance.html
"For this article, we tested a 1TB Western Digital Velociraptor drive and initially saw transfer rates in the vicinity of 210 megabytes per second, which gradually slowed to about 116 MBps. Similarly, access times were fastest in the early part of the test and grew slower as the test progressed. This phenomenon occurs because hard drives are fastest when they access data from the outermost tracks on its platters. Given a constant spindle speed (10,000 rpm, in the Velociraptor's case), the drive's read/write heads can simply cover a larger area in a shorter amount of time when positioned over the outer edges of the platter, resulting in better performance.

For optimal system performance, you need to place your OS and all of your most commonly used applications and files in the fastest areas on the drive. "

Here the outer tracks are 2X faster than the inner tracks:
https://books.google.com/books?id=G-eoC ... &q&f=false
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ verhooo, .......
verhooo wrote:.
For an SSD, you should follow Pjotr's recommendation. Likely, you will not experience any system lag afterwards.
... For an SSD, it makes little difference how you partition it, whether at the beginning or end of the drive, except that it is also recommended to leave an unpartitioned free space of about 10% in the SSD for wear-levelling purposes and the need to optimize the SSD ...
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

My recommendation was mostly geared towards a rotating HDD.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

gparted can move your current Linux partition at the end of the drive to the beginning of the drive, if it matters. If you've got a lot of data to move it will take a while, but it will do it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Installation & Boot”