Previous searched posts involve other freeze-ups (like keyboard also), and none solve it, or were directly relevant.
Things I have tried..
1. It is not the hardware! Replace the mouse with any brand, (I tried at least 4).
When it happens, the pointer stays visible on the screen in one place - forever!
2. It can be "fixed", until the next time, by unplugging and re-plugging the mouse.
We discover from dmesg | less | grep usb that all that is happening is a USB disconnect, followed by a an immediate re-connect, using a new, incremented device number. This is, I think, the actual physical disconnect and re-connect. I don't know if the "stops working" is also some kind of software "disconnect".
3. A suggested strategy of using Alt-F4 to dump the desktop, and then restarting it does not work.
You can see from the code snip at the end, I had been driven mad, from 11 disconnects, to re-connect as device number 12.
Code: Select all
[10052.842570] hid-generic 0003:046D:C05A.0009: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech USB Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.5/input0
[10688.412825] usb 2-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 11
[10693.223472] usb 2-1.5: new low-speed USB device number 12 using ehci-pci
[10693.319932] usb 2-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c05a
[10693.319939] usb 2-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[10693.319943] usb 2-1.5: Product: USB Optical Mouse
[10693.319946] usb 2-1.5: Manufacturer: Logitech
[10693.322580] input: Logitech USB Optical Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/2-1.5:1.0/input/input20
[10693.322818] hid-generic 0003:046D:C05A.000A: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech USB Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.5/input0
In desperation, I installed LinuxMint 18 (Sarah) on a new partition. It clearly encounters the same problem - but with a fix! Periodically, the mouse suddenly quits, and then control is auto-magically restored after a delay of a second or two. I still have a lot invested in the 17 version, and I would like it to stay working. I have to migrate carefully.
Beyond that, It would be nice if this could be properly fixed. I am a user, not a programmer. I don't understand what it takes. I do know that it would be unwise to uninstall probably good stuff like "irqbalance", which is one solution suggested from internet searches.