Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Post by Jedinovice »

Er, before I post any further responses... what's happened to the attachments tab?

I can't add anime pics ("Yay!" everyone cries) but I plan to attach helpful set up files for Neon later so I do need access to attachments.

Anyone any clues?
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Jedinovice wrote:I can't add anime pics ("Yay!" everyone cries) but I plan to attach helpful set up files for Neon later so I do need access to attachments.
I also have no attachments option. Post your images here and link to them instead.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

catweazel wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:I can't add anime pics ("Yay!" everyone cries) but I plan to attach helpful set up files for Neon later so I do need access to attachments.
I also have no attachments option. Post your images here and link to them instead.
Thanks and, yes, I know I can do that but...

1) This is a lost feature then? It's not just me. Do we report it? How?
2) Images are not the problem so much as set up files I intend to attach in the future to help people.

What's happening? :?:
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Jedinovice wrote: What's happening? :?:
Probably one of the forum maintainers turned it off.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

catweazel wrote:
Jedinovice wrote: What's happening? :?:
Probably one of the forum maintainers turned it off.
????
But why?

Did I break the Mint forums with Anime???
OSSwitcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OSSwitcher »

Maybe we shouldn't move from mint and there will be possibility to install KDE over one of Mint distributions like XFCE to get the most stable Debian-family OS with KDE?
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

OSSwitcher wrote:Maybe we shouldn't move from mint and there will be possibility to install KDE over one of Mint distributions like XFCE to get the most stable Debian-family OS with KDE?
From another post on this KDE topic (viewtopic.php?f=60&t=256024):
xenopeek wrote:
phd21 wrote:What are the best instructions for easily adding KDE on top of a Linux Mint edition, and which edition would be the best base for doing that Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce?
Adding it won't be much different between the three editions, but if you want to replace a desktop environment with KDE then the choice should be Xfce. Among the three that's the easiest to remove.

As for instructions, I'd be happy to cover that in detail once Linux Mint 19 is available :wink: For now all Linux Mint 18.x releases have a dedicated KDE edition.
phd21 wrote:Will Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce still have access to some excellent KDE applications like the "Kdenlive" video editor, etc...?
Dropping the KDE edition doesn't impact availability of KDE programs in the repositories. You can still install KDE programs on the other editions, same as now.
phd21 wrote:Of the various KDE operating systems, which one(s) do you and other Linux Mint developers recommend? Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, Neon, etc...?
https://community.kde.org/Distributions
If we skip the choice of installing KDE on Linux Mint 19, my first thought would go to Kubuntu. If you're using Linux Mint 18.x KDE you're already using software maintained by the Kubuntu developers. It is (obviously) also Ubuntu based and so you don't need to relearn how the package management system works, the filesystem layout and conventions, and you continue to benefit from full compatibility with Ubuntu for programs and games available for Ubuntu from outside the repositories
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Don't really know what so special about Neon. I gave it another try never remembering the issues I encountered the first time.
The ISO doesn't have a partition manager. (May not be an issue to others.) It didn't come with Gimp, Libre Office suite, Calculator, etc.
Of course, I'm comparing it with Mint, Kubuntu. Then there is this annoying thing "Can't unlock.." something when I'm trying to install software.
My wireless USB wifi is hardly recognized. It kept disconnecting. So no, I have no time for these things.
Wonder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wonder »

kdemeoz wrote:When i previously did my Live Media KWin stress-test via Desktop Grid window moves in Neon, i was using Plasma 5.7.5 as booted from "neon-useredition-20160915-1018-amd64.iso". Today i decided to retest, using the latest available ISO, "neon-useredition-20171116-1018-amd64.iso", which gives Plasma 5.11.3. What a turnaround! The old Neon & Plasma had failed the test miserably, but the current Neon & Plasma performed perfectly... i hammered it, but it gave ZERO KWin crashes during this test today. That is wonderful, & radically uplifts the candidature of Neon in my eyes...

...Except...

Despite Neon being now at Plasma 5.11.3, to my gobsmacked disbelief, RootActions ServiceMenu continues not to work. Even [as a possible workaround] installing kdesudo then [trying to] launch Dolphin with it from Konsole fails; “Executing Dolphin as root is not possible”. All this stuff works perfectly in TW.

FYI.
Hi kdemeoz!!!! :)

Well, I also I test others distros, you know the new news about Maui, I tests also others distros.

Now, in this moment, I have Leap in tower and TW in laptop, and I think in change leap to tw in tower (well, I have leap but I add a repositorys for update plasma and applications :)).

A few days ago,, I test Neon, like, with your same iso (2071116) and some users we have a problems with gru: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... 2&e=384352

But also, I view in Neon that, not have RootActions Service Menu...
Any app (but not problem because I can install all apps that I like, Maui in this, in apps installed, are the best) but not works/have Root Actions Service Menu.

I view in Leap and TW that, now, have a File Manager - Super User Mode, and with this, I can access to all foders / files in root.

Regards!!!!!!!!!!
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

At this point in time I would like to suggest waiting for LM18.3 KDE. I am hoping this will be a good start for those of us who wish to stay (at least partially) within the Linux Mint ecosystem, which I have decided to do with my in-house fileserver/mediaserver/workstation.

LM KDE still has some time left & can be adapted when the time comes to upgrade. Not like KDE won't be an option for future Mint users like me. And, yes, I'm still planning to convert the Dell to LM18.3 KDE.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

BG405 wrote:At this point in time I would like to suggest waiting for LM18.3 KDE. I am hoping this will be a good start for those of us who wish to stay (at least partially) within the Linux Mint ecosystem, which I have decided to do with my in-house fileserver/mediaserver/workstation.

LM KDE still has some time left & can be adapted when the time comes to upgrade. Not like KDE won't be an option for future Mint users like me. And, yes, I'm still planning to convert the Dell to LM18.3 KDE.
I doubt there'll even be a LM 18.3 KDE. The devs probably see no point in it.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

xdicey wrote:But is it really feasible to use Maui? considering one of its moderators response from the same post here https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24650
There are unfortunately other plans. Maui isn't going to release new ISO releases so new users might be better off using Netrunner instead of Maui to get the newest Desktop out of the box.
We will keep the package repos up to date in backports for our users so they can continue to use Maui with Ubuntu / Neon and our Backports repos.
That is all I can say for now.
Don't know why Maui is still being considered when, as mentioned above, one of the moderators in its forums discourages new users to use it and recommends Netrunner.
I could easily translate it as they're not ready for such responsibilities of servicing new users. Like I've hinted, maintaining a distro requires full time employees.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rick gen wrote: I doubt there'll even be a LM 18.3 KDE.
The Mint blog says otherwise.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Has anyone tried Netrunner?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

rick gen wrote:Don't really know what so special about Neon. I gave it another try never remembering the issues I encountered the first time.
The ISO doesn't have a partition manager. (May not be an issue to others.) It didn't come with Gimp, Libre Office suite, Calculator, etc.
Of course, I'm comparing it with Mint, Kubuntu. Then there is this annoying thing "Can't unlock.." something when I'm trying to install software.
My wireless USB wifi is hardly recognized. It kept disconnecting. So no, I have no time for these things.
Neon is stripped bare, a minimalist install. Actually, it's so stripped some gtk application don't run right. For a production machine that is used for serious work, I would go with kubuntu LTS with backports enabled( optionally). KDE neon is fine for less critical PCs. I play around with it at home on my laptop.

I think all the guys who plan on trying to install KDE on top of Mint XFCE are in for a nasty surprise. Mint/Kubuntu spend a lot of time getting GTK applications to work right in a QT environment, and the desktops come configured right. A pure KDE install with deafult packages may not be as pretty.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

rick gen wrote:
BG405 wrote:At this point in time I would like to suggest waiting for LM18.3 KDE. I am hoping this will be a good start for those of us who wish to stay (at least partially) within the Linux Mint ecosystem, which I have decided to do with my in-house fileserver/mediaserver/workstation.

I doubt there'll even be a LM 18.3 KDE. The devs probably see no point in it.
They have committed to releasing 18.3.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

mr_raider wrote:
Neon is stripped bare, a minimalist install. Actually, it's so stripped some gtk application don't run right. For a production machine that is used for serious work, I would go with kubuntu LTS with backports enabled( optionally). KDE neon is fine for less critical PCs. I play around with it at home on my laptop.

I think all the guys who plan on trying to install KDE on top of Mint XFCE are in for a nasty surprise. Mint/Kubuntu spend a lot of time getting GTK applications to work right in a QT environment, and the desktops come configured right. A pure KDE install with default packages may not be as pretty.
I am running Neon on a mass of machines in a business environment where it just HAS to work! I also use a LOT of apps. Apart from some flickering on menus which I don't understand and do not have time to investigate (I commonly work 7 days a week) and that's only an irritation... no real problems. Wife loves it. No trouble with GTK apps either. And believe me, my laptops are pushed HARD! So far, not one single crash or freeze.

Does require a shed load of installing of libraries and apps, mind. That is certainly true. Discovery is also a pile of .... can't say. Installed Aptik and then synaptic fast! In time I hope to tame Neon further and give long term feedback but I am just hanging on until I can get to the hotel tommorow night and sleep for two days!!

Exam season is HELL for me!

But, has anyone tried Netrunner? I'm stuck. My laptops have to work and work NOW! No time for distro hopping.

Why is there silence here on Netrunner? Has no-one tried it?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

You using Neon LTS (5.8.8) or Neon User (5.11.x)?

Good to hear Neon is stable. I have issues running WPS office in GTK, but WPS Linux is almost abandon ware, so that may not be KDE's fault.

Netrunner is either Debian or Manjaro (rolling) based. Not Ubuntu based. Since I need Ubuntu compatibility for my games (GOG and Steam) I prefer Ubuntu based distros.

Anyway KDE 5.12 will be LTS release, so I expect all teh major distros based on it will be quite stable.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

mr_raider wrote:You using Neon LTS (5.8.8) or Neon User (5.11.x)?

Good to hear Neon is stable. I have issues running WPS office in GTK, but WPS Linux is almost abandon ware, so that may not be KDE's fault.

Netrunner is either Debian or Manjaro (rolling) based. Not Ubuntu based. Since I need Ubuntu compatibility for my games (GOG and Steam) I prefer Ubuntu based distros.

Anyway KDE 5.12 will be LTS release, so I expect all teh major distros based on it will be quite stable.
I am using LTS with KDE 5.8. I need stability! Most bells and whstles are for 22" super desktop machines anyway and of now real use to me.

Will give much more feedback at a later date. When I have had time to do some digging.
dth2

Post by dth2 »

I just tried openSUSE tumbleweed, and while it installed and ran well, installing NVIDIA's proprietary driver was a total nightmare. I was getting compiler segfaults on a clean install. Anyway, based on your recommendation I'm downloading Neon now.
catweazel really surprised to read your comments here (given your fantastic knowledge seen in this forum). There is a nvidia repo for tumbleweed which works as well and as straightforward as installing the nvidia driver on mint.

I have moved from mint kde to neon. I like the lack of applications automatically installed and the speed of plasma 5 updates.

Return to “Chat about Linux”