Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lmuserx4849
Level 5
Level 5

Cinnamon configuration & apps

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:01 pm

I mainly use KDE, but looking at LM18.2 Cinnamon.

1. How do I make the vertical scroll bars wider?

2. How do I make the vertical scroll bars permanent? They only appear when the cursor hovers over where they should be.

3. What are cinnamon alternatives to these 4 kde apps:
a. ksnapshot
b. gwenview
c. k3b
d. kate

4. Can the menu items on the upper left be removed or reordered? Currently the order starts with Firefox, Software Manager, System Setting, Terminal, Files. I'd like it to be: System Setting, Terminal.

5.Can the calendar date format be configure with two lines? I tried \n,<br>. For example:

10:10 AM
Sat, 04 Nov 2017

%H:%M %p
%a, %d %b %Y

6. How do I add or rename virtual desktops (although I think they are called workspaces in cinnamon, similar to kde's activities). I don't think cinnamon supports virtual desktops. In kde, you could create many and used a pager to view/access them. Also, scrolling the mouse wheel on the kde desktop changed to the next desktop. A feature I really like. I looked at System Settings -> Workspaces but I didn't see how to create them or rename them.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Cinnamon configuration & apps

Post by jimallyn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:13 pm

lmuserx4849 wrote:3. What are cinnamon alternatives to these 4 kde apps:
a. ksnapshot
b. gwenview
c. k3b
d. kate
You can install those applications on Cinnamon if you like. I use Cinnamon and XFCE, and k3b is one of the first things I install.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 pm

What Jim said.
Xed is the default text editor for Cinnamon (named just as 'text editor' in the menu) which is just as good as Kate in my experience.
Favourites in the Cinnamon menu can be modified by dragging menu items in or out, and by accessing 'add to favourites' via the right-click menu on application icons in the menu.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 am

#1: Right click the panel (empty place) and select panel settings. You have an option to use custom panel size.

#2: Again panel settings: Change the first option to show always.

#4: I guess you mean the favorite bar. You can reorder the items via drag and drop.

#5: You can do it this way:
To set a line break you have to insert the variable %n at the proper place. Next you have to set in the panel settings to use a custom panel size and deactivate the additional option to allow Cinnamon to adjust the size of text and icons in the panel. Now drag the slider below to adjust the needed panel height. If you like the result is another question.

#6: With the workspace overview opened (alt-F1 or ctrl-shift-up) you can double click the name of a workspace to rename it.

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:16 am

lmuserx4849 wrote:... What are cinnamon alternatives to these 4 kde apps:
a. ksnapshot
b. gwenview
c. k3b
d. kate
All of them, as mentioned, can be installed. If you're going to install KDE apps there will often be a long list of dependencies. Look at those when they come up (good habit anyway). It may be quite large, but if the app is that good it's not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure why you'd want Kate over the Cinnamon default simple text editor though. There's nothing wrong with any of the default ones, though I always install Leafpad as an editor. No dependencies, fast, and I like the interface.

lmuserx4849
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:30 am

jimallyn wrote:
lmuserx4849 wrote:3. What are cinnamon alternatives to these 4 kde apps:
a. ksnapshot
b. gwenview
c. k3b
d. kate
You can install those applications on Cinnamon if you like. I use Cinnamon and XFCE, and k3b is one of the first things I install.
Do you install k3b in Cinnamon and XFCE?

I think, the only reason I wouldn't install a kde app is because of the additional libraries, but there are a number of qt applications that I really like.
quiterss is one of them. Does Cinnamon or Gnome 3 have an official rss reader?

lmuserx4849
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:35 am

How do I get rid of the background transparency in the Gnome terminal? I want it 100% opaque. Right now, when the terminal is over other windows, I can see those windows and text in the console body. When I'm reading bits and bytes, I need to have a plain solid background. I looked at the Edit->Preferences and didn't see anything.

Found where to turn off transparency for the Console. I needed to go to Edit -> Profile -> Preferences -> Colors and turn off, "Use transparent background".

But,
1. Is there an option to turn transparency off for everything?
2. Anyway to get the Console tabs on the bottom, rather than the top?
3. How do you add padding or margin around the Console/Terminal window, especially at the bottom?
4. If you right-click a tab in kconsole you can rename it. You can also set a preference to set a default name for tab (i.e., %n [%u@%h] %D %w), last you can issue a qdbus command to change the name (i.e., qdbus "${KONSOLE_DBUS_SERVICE}" "${KONSOLE_DBUS_SESSION}" setTitle "${roleWhatToDo[setTitle]}" "${newTitle} ${tabTitleFormat}" >/dev/null). Is there anything similar in Cinnamon/Gnome console?

lmuserx4849
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:25 am

MintBean wrote:What Jim said.
Xed is the default text editor for Cinnamon (named just as 'text editor' in the menu) which is just as good as Kate in my experience.
Favourites in the Cinnamon menu can be modified by dragging menu items in or out, and by accessing 'add to favourites' via the right-click menu on application icons in the menu.
I would say Kate is not only a text editor but a code editor so it has features like: code completion, code folding, code highlighting, etc. xed is a little too basic. I need to be able to write source highlighting files. I used code folding in kde, but they broke it some time in 4 and just recently fixed it in Plasma.

It took me a while to figure out how to drag the menu items. I grabbed the first one, firefox, and dragged it right and up. The icon appeared while I kept the mouse button down but when I let go, nothing happened. It seems you can't just drag it any old place to get rid of it, but rather directly into the the menu area.

I want to get rid of the "Lock screen" button, but they don't seem to be draggable. What's the trick to get rid of the "Lock screen"?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:42 am

lmuserx4849 wrote:Do you install k3b in Cinnamon and XFCE?
Yes. As I said, installing k3b is one of the first things I do. I have it on my desktop which runs Cinnamon, and I have it on my laptop which runs XFCE.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

lmuserx4849
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:05 am

Cosmo. wrote:#1: Right click the panel (empty place) and select panel settings. You have an option to use custom panel size.

#2: Again panel settings: Change the first option to show always.

#4: I guess you mean the favorite bar. You can reorder the items via drag and drop.

#5: You can do it this way:
To set a line break you have to insert the variable %n at the proper place. Next you have to set in the panel settings to use a custom panel size and deactivate the additional option to allow Cinnamon to adjust the size of text and icons in the panel. Now drag the slider below to adjust the needed panel height. If you like the result is another question.

#6: With the workspace overview opened (alt-F1 or ctrl-shift-up) you can double click the name of a workspace to rename it.
#1 & #2: This didn't seem to affect the vertical scroll bars. They still aren't permanent and are very narrow.

#6: Is there a key-combination or mouse action to roll through the workspaces? Something like alt-tab to roll through windows. In kde, I could use the mouse wheel.

Whoa, there's lots to learn and do changing from kde to gnome :-) I think some of the things I want to do I either need to use gsettings or dconf or dconf-editor and/or modify the css in the theme, like to make the scroll bars wider. How do I find out what the current theme is?
I looked in System Settings -> Themes and I'm seeing "Mint-X" under images of controls. Is that the name of the default LM18.3 theme, Mint-X? I don't see where you actually select this theme. Under /usr/share/themes/ there is a Mint-X, Mint-X-Aqua, Mint-X-Blue, Mint-X Brown..., my background is kind of brown, does that mean I'm using the Mint-X Brown theme? Is that shown anywhere that I can see?

I suppose I'll have to copy the system version (Mint-X or Mint-X Brown) to some local directory and change the CSS there.

lmuserx4849
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:10 am

jimallyn wrote:
lmuserx4849 wrote:Do you install k3b in Cinnamon and XFCE?
Yes. As I said, installing k3b is one of the first things I do. I have it on my desktop which runs Cinnamon, and I have it on my laptop which runs XFCE.
Ahhh, for some reason I pictured one machine with two desktops installed and you choice one or the other at logon time in the display manager.
I agree with you regarding k3b :-)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:22 am

lmuserx4849 wrote:#6: Is there a key-combination or mouse action to roll through the workspaces? Something like alt-tab to roll through windows. In kde, I could use the mouse wheel.
Add the applet workspace-switcher to the panel. Now you can either directly click the needed panel or you can hover the applet and switch the workspaces by wheel scrolling.

Return to “Software & Applications”