[SOLVED] Bluetooth problems: Bastien's computer? Who the heck is Bastien?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Bluetooth problems: Bastien's computer? Who the heck is Bastien?

Post by JerryF »

James_Smith wrote:
JerryF wrote:Batien's Computer is used in a description as the sample.
This is not an "example" of anything. It's a major problem.
I realize it's a problem, but I've gotten the same message. The message is using "Batien" as an example of the computer.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [UNSOLVED] Bluetooth problems: Bastien's computer? Who the heck is Bastien?

Post by Flemur »

Who the heck is Bastien?
Bastien Nocera - https://wiki.gnome.org/BastienNocera
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Flemur wrote:
Who the heck is Bastien?
Bastien Nocera - https://wiki.gnome.org/BastienNocera
Also known as hadess on github and probably had the first working source code for the Realtek rtl8723bs SDIO wifi card

He also thought this issue was fixed in gnome-settings-daemon 3.18 as reported in a gnome bug report from a year ago
aka_pseudonym

Post by aka_pseudonym »

If this helps here is my take on Bastien getting into my computer. This is in layman's terms!
I have a triple boot HP Elitebook with Mint 18.1, Windows 7, and OSX Sierra.
Bluetooth/wifi is a Broadcom BCM94352Z card as OSX won't see Intel ones.
Bluetooth never works when changing from one OS to the other - whether Windows to OSX or Windows to Linux or OSX to Linux etc etc etc.
It's always necessary to remove the device (mouse in my case), let the new OS discover it again, and then re-pair and connect it. In Windows that usually works, in OSX it sometimes needs a re-boot, in Mint it always needs a re-boot.
So I'm sure it's the card - it doesn't drop the connection to the mouse (maybe stores it?) when the machine is shut down. Hence when it's re-started in another OS the card gives out some sort of "busy" signal telling whatever the OS is that it's already connected even though it isn't.
So if anyone ever rewrites the bluetooth drivers can the first line be some kind of universal zap to every possible bluetooth card ever made. Maybe, just maybe, Bastien will then retire.
(Addenda: I've got a little Bluetooth speaker too - just tried with that - exactly the same scenario.)
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James_Smith »

Problem solved. You know what the solution is? I bought a new wireless card.

Last July, I bought an Alienware R15 that has never had this Bluetooth/Bastien problem. It's worked 100% of the time. On the same day, I bought a brand new Dell that immediately started doing the Bastien thing. Both computers were set up exactly the same way (Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, same kernel, etc.). The only difference was the wireless card. The brand new Dell (manufactured last April), it turns out, had a wireless card that was made in 2014.

That is slightly annoying.

I bought a new one (identical to the one in my Alienware) and my Dell has been working perfectly since.

Solution: buy a new wireless card. Seriously, that's the solution.
I have been using Linux for years and I am still a newbie
GSimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GSimpson »

aka_pseudonym wrote: So I'm sure it's the card - it doesn't drop the connection to the mouse (maybe stores it?) when the machine is shut down. Hence when it's re-started in another OS the card gives out some sort of "busy" signal telling whatever the OS is that it's already connected even though it isn't.
So if anyone ever rewrites the bluetooth drivers can the first line be some kind of universal zap to every possible bluetooth card ever made. Maybe, just maybe, Bastien will then retire.
(Addenda: I've got a little Bluetooth speaker too - just tried with that - exactly the same scenario.)
I think you are on to it. I got a new mouse to replace my old one that died and worked until I used it in W10 via dual boot. Removing from windows and it works again in Mint.
Curiously using Blueman when it was not working, if I attempted to use the mouse Blueman would show data being transferred between the mouse and computer and the mouse showing up on the panel but would not connect.
I had this problem intermittently with my last mouse and would go months at a time working happily with Windows and Linux and then suddenly have a hissy fit and require deleting from both and reinstall.
As you say. Someone in the know needs to add a zap to the system to clear things on boot.
HP Zbook
Intel© Core™ i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4
Linux Mint 20 64 bit Cinnamon
16GB ram

Graphics NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K3100M]

Return to “Hardware Support”