upgrade libreoffice

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

upgrade libreoffice

Post by cato40 »

I am very surprised that with Linux Mint 18.3 the Office suite ,Libre Office is still at 5.162 ,not a later version.
:?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: upgrade libreoffice

Post by xenopeek »

Version 5.4.3.2 of LibreOffice is currently available in the Flatpak category in Software Manager. That is a bit inconvenient to use right now as you can neither sort nor search the Flatpak category. You can attempt to find LibreOffice in that unsorted list or you can install it from the command line. Install it with this command:

flatpak install flathub org.libreoffice.LibreOffice

It may ask you about installing the required dependency org.gnome.Platform. Answer Y to continue as you need this.

Before you do the above, remove your current LibreOffice version because otherwise it will appear twice in your menu (the old version and the new version).

Edit: the LibreOffice flatpak will look a bit different as it will use default themes and not themes selected on your system. That's something that will improve in the future.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

xenopeek Thanks for the tip re the latest LibreOffice..

I found that 'sudo' was required elsewise the system fails to create a temp. directory following on from the 'Y' to the 'org.gnome.Platform' question.

Not being daft I trust :?:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Installing LibreOffice was the first time I used flatpak on Mint 18.3. I don't recall having to use sudo but perhaps. Try first without and else with.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Adding the LibreOffice PPA to your system is an option. Though the version is older than what you can already install through Software Manager from Flathub :wink:
minitux

Post by minitux »

cato40 wrote:I am very surprised that with Linux Mint 18.3 the Office suite ,Libre Office is still at 5.162 ,not a later version.
:?
not surprisingly, linux mint is ubuntu based (ubuntu 16.04) and ubuntu, it is a fixed distro, apart from the kernel and little else, such as browser and thunderbird no version progress.

if a user wants the latest version programs, installable and upgradable by official repostory, they must install a rolling release, not ubuntu, or mint or other derivatives.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I just used this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

which brings 5.4.3

WHat version does flatpak bring in?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That PPA is a bit fresher than the other. From Software Manager you can currently get LibreOffice 5.4.3.2 without need for a PPA.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

In a nice turn of events, the LibreOffice team have decided to use Flathub as an official distribution channel, i.e. the Flatpak version available in the software manager is an up-to-date release packaged by LibreOffice themselves. Let's hope this is the start of a trend.

Has anyone installed the Flatpak version and uninstalled the repo version on 18.3? Any caveats to be aware of?
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

MintBean wrote:In a nice turn of events, the LibreOffice team have decided to use Flathub as an official distribution channel, i.e. the Flatpak version available in the software manager is an up-to-date release packaged by LibreOffice themselves. Let's hope this is the start of a trend.

Has anyone installed the Flatpak version and uninstalled the repo version on 18.3? Any caveats to be aware of?
Yes - I've been pondering the same thing so hopefully someone has taken the plunge and enlighten us.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Hi,

I tried the Flatpak download path and it failed. The files were there but no way to activate the actual application. The Menu entries were strings of code relating to the download!

Not being at all code savvy I looked around and eventually just re-installed via Synaptic.

I have also noticed that using the flatpak option available via Software manger does not work! There is quick mention about 'dependencies' then it vanishes and nothing happens.

Not complaining as I like this Linux Mint/Mate combination (the best I have ever used) but it does appear that things are not quite what they were expected to be.

I cannot see a LibreOffice version newer than 1:5.1.6~rc under software manager (isn't this now 'mintinstall???).

Signed: Very aggrieved Limey! As If!! :lol:

EDIT: I've now got the 'Fresh PPA' in my repo's and forced the version to 5:4.3.2
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

thanks to all for such a quick reply
:D
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

xenopeek wrote:Version 5.4.3.2 of LibreOffice is currently available in the Flatpak category in Software Manager. That is a bit inconvenient to use right now as you can neither sort nor search the Flatpak category. You can attempt to find LibreOffice in that unsorted list or you can install it from the command line. Install it with this command:

flatpak install flathub org.libreoffice.LibreOffice

It may ask you about installing the required dependency org.gnome.Platform. Answer Y to continue as you need this.

Before you do the above, remove your current LibreOffice version because otherwise it will appear twice in your menu (the old version and the new version).

Edit: the LibreOffice flatpak will look a bit different as it will use default themes and not themes selected on your system. That's something that will improve in the future.
I tried this and it worked perfectly and it gave me Version: 6.0.0.3 without any problems - did take off the previous version installed - this is so simple to do via the terminal - thank you
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Libreoffice 6 has been released now and you can add it if you want with this ppa.
Good luck.
https://itsfoss.com/libreoffice-6-0-released/
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

This from the PPA :
Note: I just realized that the LibreOffice Fresh PPA still doesn’t include version 6.0. I’ll update the article when I have news about it. For the moment, using the PPA won’t install LibreOffice 6.0.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

LibreOffice 6.0 is also available as an AppImage. I have used the AppImage for both Fresh Basic and Fresh Standard, and both run well on my antique, under-powered system.

They can be downloaded fromhttps://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/, but the versions here do not have the built-in Help. You can download versions with Help from https://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/.

The only criticism I have is LO does not put the version number in the AppImage filename.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Libreoffice 6.0 is now available via the ppa mentioned in my previous post.
Vasilis_K
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vasilis_K »

Libreoffice is since a few months officially using Flathub for distributing. So, installing it through it gives you always the latest version immediately after being released. No extra ppa's and stuff. :wink:
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Vasilis_K said:
Libreoffice is since a few months officially using Flathub for distributing. So, installing it through it gives you always the latest version immediately after being released. No extra ppa's and stuff.
Does Flathub update automatically like a PPA? I cannot see that it does and I note that it does not provide version numbers nor even apps in alphabetical order. Minor issues maybe until there are thousands of apps! :?

Return to “Other topics”