Appimages in path - how?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anarchosaxophonist

Appimages in path - how?

Post by anarchosaxophonist »

I have tried flatpaks and am not a big fan. However, I do like Appimages. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get the folder (user/bin) in path so that the Appimages will be added to the Cinnamon menu and the system will recognize Appimages as programs (right clicking files and choosing from program list to open).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Appimages in path - how?

Post by Flemur »

anarchosaxophonist wrote:Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get the folder (user/bin)
Which directory are you talking about? The system directory /usr/bin, which should already be in your $PATH, or something else?
in path so that the Appimages will be added to the Cinnamon menu and the system will recognize Appimages as programs (right clicking files and choosing from program list to open).
I dunno about adding stuff to the Cin menu, but you can do something like

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /path/to/appimage/program.appImage /usr/bin/program
though it'd probably be better to have it in your $HOME/bin directory:

ln -s /path/to/appimage/program.appImage $HOME/bin/program
Don't forget to

chmod +x program.appImage
Where you put the /path/to/appimage/program.appImage is up to you, probably /opt would be a good place, then it'd be

ln -s /opt/program.appImage $HOME/bin/program
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
anarchosaxophonist

OK, thanks I will give it a try. Sorry about the confusion. $HOME/bin is my (user/bin).I forgot what it was called.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

anarchosaxophonist wrote:OK, thanks I will give it a try. Sorry about the confusion. $HOME/bin is my (user/bin).I forgot what it was called.
/home/<username>/bin
will be in your PATH if it exists when you login. See ~/.profile
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
anarchosaxophonist

Flemur wrote:
anarchosaxophonist wrote:OK, thanks I will give it a try. Sorry about the confusion. $HOME/bin is my (user/bin).I forgot what it was called.
/home/<username>/bin
will be in your PATH if it exists when you login. See ~/.profile
Sounds good, but why aren't Appimages appearing in the Cinnamon menu or being recognized by the system to open files? I have looked at an article that claimed the first time you run an Appimage, these things should be done automagically, but that hasn't happened. I am using the MuseScore 2.1 Appimage as a point of reference.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

anarchosaxophonist wrote:I am using the MuseScore 2.1 Appimage as a point of reference.
The MuseScore AppImage has some special options available. Running it from the terminal with the install option should fully integrate it to the desktop environment.

./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage install
For more information see

./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage man
and

./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage --help
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "BenTrabetere", "anarchosaxophonist", etc...,

I have been using AppImages for awhile, and I did not know there was an install option (thanks "BenTrabetere"). Some AppImages would ask to install (integrate) to desktop when double clicked, others would not. And, it was easy enough to just create a new menu item, or new desktop shortcut launcher to the software's AppImage file.

I just downloaded the "MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage" file, moved it to my "Apps-Misc" folder (where I keep software like AppImages), opened a terminal into that folder and ran the command and it installed and is now in my menu. Do you have to use "sudo" in front of the command, I did ? The Appimage console terminal install command copied the AppImage file into my root folder, "/usr/local/bin/", and my "/home/user69/.local/bin/" folder.

~/Apps-Misc $sudo ./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage install

FYI: MuseScore can also be installed using their PPA or Deb files, flatpak, or snap packages ... I still prefer AppImages over Flatpak and Snap install options, but that is just me.
https://musescore.org/en/download

MuseScore_AppImage1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
anarchosaxophonist

BenTrabetere wrote:
anarchosaxophonist wrote:I am using the MuseScore 2.1 Appimage as a point of reference.
The MuseScore AppImage has some special options available. Running it from the terminal with the install option should fully integrate it to the desktop environment.

./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage install
For more information see

./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage man
and

./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage --help
Wow! I am impressed! Very cool. Thank you Ben. I ran

$ ./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage install
without sudo, as I am the only user, and everything worked like a gem.

I would have thought that implementing Appimage integration would have been more elegant than Flatpak (or Snaps). I tried Musescore as a Flatpak in Sonya, and it seemed a bit of a mess to me. I haven't tried it in Sylvia as I wasn't impressed with my experience. I ended up uninstalling the whole thing.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

phd21 wrote:and I did not know there was an install option
Most of the AppImages I have used asked to be installed. I think that is the norm, and from an end-user stand point it makes sense to do it that way.

I suspect MuseScore is an exception because the developers also offer AppImages for the development builds; if correct, I think it is a very smart move from folks who maintain the AppImages. I see nothing but trouble resulting from integrating a dev build into the desktop.
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

BenTrabetere wrote:
phd21 wrote:and I did not know there was an install option
Most of the AppImages I have used asked to be installed. I think that is the norm, and from an end-user stand point it makes sense to do it that way.
Interesting. The AppImages for Krita that I've been using have never asked to be installed when I run them - they behave more or less like starting a .exe file under Windows. I've made a desktop launcher for them, but would very much like to have Krita present on the start menu.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "Ranthe",

Like a lot of software, Krita has various options for installing them including the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), AppImages, PPA, etc... It is up to the people who create the AppImage to include desktop installation integration options, some do, some do not. Whenever I have used Krita AppImages, they do not ask to install or integrate into the desktop either.

Desktop Software installed using the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), or using a PPA, or a "deb" file, will usually create a Start Menu item which a user can right click to create a desktop shortcut launcher with.

Install Krita 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 17.04 / 16.04 / LinuxMint, 8/18/2017
https://www.askmetutorials.com/2017/08/ ... -1604.html

I already had Krita installed using their PPA which provides a current version, and when I tried to install the AppImage using the console terminal "install" options it did not create a menu item or desktop file? This could be because I already had it installed.

./krita-3.3.2-x86_64.appimage install
Anyone using any edition and version of Linux Mint can easily create a new Start Menu item or desktop shortcut launcher to a software's startup program or executable file like an AppImage file.

FYI: "Krita Gemini" is a version of Krita 2.8 that has both a traditional desktop user interface, as well as an interface optimized for tablets and touch interaction.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Ranthe wrote: Interesting. The AppImages for Krita that I've been using have never asked to be installed when I run them
As I understand it registering AppImages with the system is optional. Most of the AppImages I have used asked to be installed - Krita is another one that does not, and to the best of my knowledge running it from the command line using the install option will not work.
I've made a desktop launcher for them, but would very much like to have Krita present on the start menu.
Have you tried to add it manually to the Main Menu? I know it can be done to the MATE Main Menu. I suspect it can be added to the Open With fly-out menu, but I am not in the mood to experimess with file associations.
anarchosaxophonist

*!#% After I installed the Musescore 2.1 appimage, midi playback output is tinny, distorted and unusable. On my laptop, where I have not installed the appimage, the midi output is absolutely fine. This issue is what led me to the Musescore 2.1 Appimage in the first place. The two variables are that the laptop hasn't been upgraded from Sonya to Sylvia, and the other is that the appimage hasn't been installed. I am almost positive that the upgrade on my desktop from Sonya to Sylvia isn't the problem, as this issue has followed me across a number of .deb based distributions, including BunsenLabs and Ubuntu. What the !*#% is going on?
---- Edit
Wow, now things are getting really weird. If I leave Musescore open on my desktop (Appimage installed) computer, and I open a browser and watch YouTube or listen to Spotify, I get the same crappy sound quality. If I close out Musescore, and play a YouTube video or listen to Spotify, the sound is fine. If I then open Musescore, the sound is fine again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”