Forum Index Page Question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Forum Index Page Question

Post by Redact »

When I come to the forums and don't sign in, every category has the last post listed as November 18 or before.
This is with 3 different browsers and with a cleared cache (including Links 2).
What could be causing this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Forum Index Page Question

Post by Redact »

I have to bump this, even if I'm the only one who cares, lol.
If I click on any category after arriving to the board, Newbie Questions, for example, then click on Board Index link, all the posts are up to date.
This is with Pale Moon, Firefox, Slimjet, and Links2 (text only). All of them with caches cleared and the last two with no extensions.
Could there be some setting in the OS that I've messed with?
It really is not a big problem to take the extra steps, or even to sign in, but it's cooking my brain trying to find the reason.
Thanks!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

What dates are being displayed today 11/30?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Forum_page.jpg
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

Thanks for responding!!
Yes, it is that page.
The latest dates are still Nov 18.
My wife's and my computers are on Ethernet, so I tried with WiFi, but still the old dates.
I tried on an ipad with WiFi, and it actually showed correct dates.
This is bizarre.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Well that's really strange.

Try closing FF then moving its cache to .mozilla.save then open ff to the forum index.

mv -v .mozilla .mozilla.save

To restore the cache close FF again then rm -r .mozilla then mv -v .mozilla.save .mozilla

It has to be the cache causing this, but I'm stumped as to why :?
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

You might try refreshing the page. Function key f5.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

WharfRat, I did as you said. No go.
I thought it might be the cache at first too, but it happens on web browsers with totally different engines.
wallyUSA, refreshing doesn't help.
I really appreciate your responses.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Can you return a screenshot :?:

I'd like to see it.
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

What's real odd is the top right hand date listed as It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Is it possible to connect to a wifi hotspot somewhere in your neighborhood or a friend with a different provider :?:

As you can probably tell I have no explanation for this so I'm grasping at straws :?
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

It's no to both those options, so I'm guessing this might remain a very weird mystery.
I had thought of installing a second Linux as a second boot just to test, but my wife's mac shows me that probably wouldn't make a difference.
Anyway, WharfRat, I sure do appreciate the help.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A second install would not be necessary, simply testing from a live system would be enough.

I say "would", because I doubt, that this will bring anything different. If 2 quite different browsers as FF and Links and also different computers give the same strange result, the problem must be a step deeper.

Disconnect your router, give it a few minutes and power it on again.
If this does not help do a reset of the router. Before you do that you might want to save the router settings to disk, if the router allows that. Also you must ensure, that you have the original access data for the router at hand, you will need them.
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

Cosmo, I did the first step, disconnecting the router. One change is that a simple refresh of the page now shows correct dates.
But the initial view is still stuck on 18 Nov.
I did try using Knoppix live. Same issue.
I don't think I feel like going through the hassle of a reset right now. My age is showing. :)
This problem isn't important enough (it's only one web page, after all). If it spreads to other sites, well then...
I do still wonder what could be causing it.

Thanks so much!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Redact wrote:Cosmo, I did the first step, disconnecting the router. One change is that a simple refresh of the page now shows correct dates.
At least this shows the direction, where the problem seems to exist.
If the router comes from your ISP, you might perhaps contact their support. Otherwise a web search with the model of your router and some expressions for the problem might give a hint. - Or do a web search with the name of your ISP and the problem, perhaps they have a problem.

Your negative result with Knoppix confirms my doubt about the result with a live system.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Redact,

Just out of curiosity, what make/model modem and router are you using :?:
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

WharfRat,
Rented from Comcast Xfinity:
Technicolor DPC3941T modem/router
Manufactured 04/17

Cosmo,
you might perhaps contact their support. Otherwise a web search with the model of your router and some expressions for the problem might give a hint
The 1st suggestion I'll wait on.
A search showed that a limited number of Cisco 3941T units were recalled in 2016, but after Technicolor bought them out they produced new models of the unit. Mine was made this year.
Your negative result with Knoppix confirms my doubt about the result with a live system.
You were sure right.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I don't know how much that modem/router costs you each month, but you might want to consider purchasing a better modem and router.

I posted what I use to another topic viewtopic.php?f=90&t=257537#p1389876
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

I've thought about going that route.
It's $10/month to rent, so in a couple years the two you recommended would be paid for.
And that Linksys router looks cool.
My only hesitation is that I've had no complaints (so far) about speed or dropped connections.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm hardware illiterate, so I appreciate you gurus.

Return to “Beginner Questions”