most portable mobile/laptop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
astra
Level 1
Level 1

most portable mobile/laptop

Post by astra »

I would like to find out what is the most portable (size, weight) laptop anybody was able to install LinxMint on?
TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: most portable mobile/laptop

Post by Moem »

I believe Intel-based Chromebooks would qualify.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ astra, .......
astra wrote:I would like to find out what is the most portable (size, weight) laptop anybody was able to install LinxMint on?
TIA
To add to Moem's good recommendation, please refer to this techie guide on how to install Linux on a Chromebook, either as a single-boot or dual-boot. ...
https://www.networkworld.com/article/28 ... ebook.html
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I won't claim it's the most portable if you're prepared to sacrifice everything else, but the DELL XPS 13 is very portable and gets great reviews.
Last edited by MintBean on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ astra, .......
MintBean wrote:I won't claim it's the most portable if that's you're prepared to sacrifice everything else, but the DELL XPS 13 is very portable and gets great reviews.
Fyi, afaik, since 2015, Dell shipped their XPS line and Business line(Latitude and Precision) Win 10 PCs with SATA configuration in BIOS set to RAID mode using proprietary Intel RST drivers = not easy to install Linux. ... http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... t/19659260

Even reinstalling Win 10 in RAID mode on the Dell XPS line is not easy, ie you need to first install the Intel RST driver before Win 10 can be installed. So, should use AHCI mode.
... It was even worse for the 2016-released Lenovo Yoga 900-13ISK, ie only RAID mode was available and no AHCI option in BIOS SATA setting. To get the AHCI option, you needed to update the BIOS firmware to the one that is dated early 2017.
WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WiltshireJon »

"Portability is in the eye of the beholder". I've installed it on an Acer netbook, can't remember which exact model...limited capability and small low res screen. But light.

More usefully on an Asus Zenbook flip UX360UA, core i5, SSD and lovely 13" screen, weighs in at 1.3Kg. 18.3 Cinnamon worked "out of the box"...and I've now got it to work in tablet mode including auto screen rotation so I'm well pleased :D

Portability versus performance with an eye on the cost? You choose.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Oh yeah, netbooks. I have Mint XFCE running on my fairly old Ideapad S10. All of 1.2 kilos of cuteness. I'd call that portable.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Acer Aspire One Happy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspi ... _One_Happy
I recycled this a few times. Good battery life and a real disk so you can upgrade to any size. The interface was a bit slow with regular Ubuntu. I switched to something with LDXE or Xcfe then Linux Mint.

Smaller or lighter devices were all locked into that 32 GB fixed storage or had some other limitation that disqualified them as a useful portable computer. The Acer Aspire One range had several similar computers. The Happy model had another advantage, you could buy it in a light mint green.

Return to “Hardware Support”