How to burn ISO's in Linux Mint MATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ICIT2

How to burn ISO's in Linux Mint MATE

Post by ICIT2 »

Now I am running 18.3 MATE and am very new to this system but am really quite enjoying the trip.

I have a few things to ask about and another one is how do I download and then more importantly burn that downloaded ISO to a DVD in MATE.

For those who know Windows which i have been using for years normally one just downloads an ISO and uses a program like ImgBurn to burn the ISO from the download but now it is now preferable to do this in the Linux system as I am trying to get out of using Windows just about altogether. I have one Windows machine that I am having to use for this procedure but as I have said would prefer to do this in Linux MATE.

Any tips would be most appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to burn ISO's in Linux Mint MATE

Post by Neil Edmond »

Brasero is included with Mint MATE...that's what I use when I need to burn an ISO DVD.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You can get any of the Mint isos here:

https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Any CD/DVD burner that allows "Burn as Image" or something along that line should be fine. My favorite burner is k3b, but xfburn works well too. I don't think I have ever used Brasero, but then I am not a MATE user. If you want to put an iso on a USB stick, use the USB Image Writer in the Accessories menu.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Thanks for the replies I shall try one of those burners and thanks for the ISO link Jim.

I am just using MATE because I prefer the GUI a bit better than Cinnamon which I find has too many places to click to get to where I want. I just have to get used to finding the software and downloading it as it is so different than Windows. :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

ICIT2 wrote:I just have to get used to finding the software and downloading it
Find it and install it with Software Manager or Synaptic, both of which come installed by default. If you need something that you can't find there, ask on the forums.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

ICIT2 wrote:MATE ... is so different than Windows. :)
Have you read the Official User Guide? If not, I think you'll find it worth the time. For Mate, there isn't a guide written in English yet for Mint 18, but there is a guide for 17.3, which is similar.

Here is the specific page for downloading the Linux Mint 17.3 Mate User Guide in English (pdf).

Here is the general page with links for all the current User Guides.

One thing I like about Mint is that for many of the apps there is a Help button you can click on that brings up a written manual with detailed instructions for how to use the app. As an example let's look at finding and downloading software. Click on the green Menu icon in the Panel. Under System you will see Software Manager and (Synaptic) Package Manager. If you open the Package Manager you will see a Help button. Click on that and then Contents and detailed documentation appears. On the other hand, the Software Manager is the less complicated of the two apps and doesn't come with documentation. If you play around with it you should be able to figure it out.

Further, once a help document has been opened there is Go in the top menu. Click on Go and then select All Documents. You will get a page of links to all help files in your version of Mint. Hope that helps you on a fast learning curve.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Xfburn is a much more reliable burning application than Brasero. You can use it like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /burn-mint
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Ok Pjotr I have found that nice looking nice of software thank you now when I have time from trying to fix everything else I shall try that.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Brasero is junk. Use K3b or xfburn.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

jimallyn wrote:You can get any of the Mint isos here:

https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Any CD/DVD burner that allows "Burn as Image" or something along that line should be fine. My favorite burner is k3b, but xfburn works well too. I don't think I have ever used Brasero, but then I am not a MATE user. If you want to put an iso on a USB stick, use the USB Image Writer in the Accessories menu.

That is interesting.

I got caught with the file permission issue (same as this one: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=176546 ), after opening a pen drive for a work colleague with Nemo to check if there was anything on it that needed to be backed up.

Long story short the work colleague is a part time mint user and was/is dual booting his laptop. In a effort to save space as his linux partition was full to the extent that it was mainly unresponsive he decided to delete his linux partition via windows and found on re booting he had an (we would expect it), a grub bootloader error which meant he couldn't boot to windows and obviously not linux.

Anyway... After explaining to him (same colleague I copied some pictures onto one of his flash drives), that you didn't need a cd/dvd to install linux as you could use a usb drive.

Back to your story... Even running USB Image Writer as root or with gksu/gksudo I didn't have permission to burn a freshly downloaded iso of mint onto his pen drive.
I gave up in this case and used dd as it always works even although it takes longer.

In regard to what eventually happened, he sent me a text message later on to say he had reinstalled mint in his deleted partition space (it was working fine), and could boot into windows again as grub was redone and added windows as a bootable option again.

Return to “MATE”