RTL8821AE wireless card

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
broken yoyo

RTL8821AE wireless card

Post by broken yoyo »

Well i bought a laptop without researching to see if the wireless card works with linux.The card is a realtek 8821ae. I am currently running Windows 10 Mint dual boot. the Mint version is the latest Mint Cinnamon. The wireless card drops out alot and just does not work well with linux So I'm going to buy a usb wireless adapter. Do i have to disable the current card to get the usb version to work? If I disable the card will it be disabled under windows? Thanks for your help. Dan :x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: RTL8821AE wireless card

Post by catweazel »

broken yoyo wrote:Do i have to disable the current card to get the usb version to work?
No.
If I disable the card will it be disabled under windows?
No.

See this link before buying a new card.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It might be power management issues that can be fixed with

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/3/2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/*

echo "options rtl8821ae ips=N" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ae.conf
Reboot
alexnetdoc

Post by alexnetdoc »

JeremyB wrote:It might be power management issues that can be fixed with

sudo sed -i 's/3/2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/*

echo "options rtl8821ae ips=N" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ae.conf
Reboot
Hi jeremy,
Could you please explain in detail what does those commands do? I have brand new Lenovo Y520, I hope sticking with it for a long time and I want to stick with Linux for a long time, so I want to know more about what issues can my Laptop hardware have with Linux Mint 18 and beyond

best regards,
Alex
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

They disable wifi power management in Linux Mint 18, the second command is specific to the wireless card

Return to “Networking”