How to check my current version of Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to check my current version of Linux Mint?

Post by Boo »

try:
cat /etc/linuxmint/info

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
lexon

Post by lexon »

I read the label on my ISO CD.

lexon
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

You can also open the System Monitor. There is a tab 'System' where I guess you should have the Mint version, kernel version, Gnome version, processor, memory...
Last edited by linuxviolin on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
lexon

Post by lexon »

Pipps wrote:CDs are archaic.

USB pendrives are far more reliable for data retention.
Your opinion. I have had a couple pen drives fail.
If I need a new CD, I burn one. CDs are cheap.

The CD is near my PC and has a label on it. I know what Mint version is on my PC without looking at the CD.

I have no need of bragging rights so I use what works.

lexon.
JCH2

Post by JCH2 »

Thank you "Boo" and "linuxviolin"; yours were useful answers (even 4 years later) inside the little pissing contest of others.
Wendy101

Post by Wendy101 »

JCH2 wrote:Thank you "Boo" and "linuxviolin"; yours were useful answers (even 4 years later) inside the little pissing contest of others.
LOL! Same here after all this time! Thanks for the help and the laugh! :lol:
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

linuxviolin wrote:You can also open the System Monitor. There is a tab 'System' where I guess you should have the Mint version, kernel version, Gnome version, processor, memory...
That tab seems to have disappeared in Petra, which will tell you at least it's not Petra. After having looked hi & lo before for info on system learnt it was not deemed to be essential.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

In the more modern releases from a terminal type inxi -F
Which gives all your info.

or use
cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=11
DISTRIB_CODENAME=katya
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 11 Katya"

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=13
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maya
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 13 Maya"

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16
DISTRIB_CODENAME=petra
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 16 Petra"
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

When I'm not sure whether I'm in the 32 bit or 64 bit installsof LM13 I have on the desktop I look at the Welcome Screen in Menu-Preferences.
Go Steady, but keep going
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

usbtux wrote:In the more modern releases from a terminal type inxi -F
Which gives all your info.
Thanx. That was all the info had been looking for that time, except for the fact that after showing the first 3-4 lines there was quite a pause followed by system crash. On reboot ran first thing, and everything came through. Suspect failed before at level of graphics card.
yerbamatemint

Post by yerbamatemint »

Wendy101 wrote:
JCH2 wrote:Thank you "Boo" and "linuxviolin"; yours were useful answers (even 4 years later) inside the little pissing contest of others.
I'm running at least ten computers here, all different flavors and OS's. All I wanted to know was 32-bit or 64-bit Linux Mint. Reading the CD didn't help, because I burned both the 32- and 64-bit versions, just in case. And I didn't put it in a spreadsheet. Thanks to all of you for pointing out the multiple ways to find the information.
mastapat

Post by mastapat »

yerbamatemint wrote:
Wendy101 wrote:
I'm running at least ten computers here, all different flavors and OS's. All I wanted to know was 32-bit or 64-bit Linux Mint. Reading the CD didn't help, because I burned both the 32- and 64-bit versions, just in case. And I didn't put it in a spreadsheet. Thanks to all of you for pointing out the multiple ways to find the information.
Another method to figure out 32/64 is the command:

Code: Select all

uname -a
If you see "x86_64" then you know its 64-bit :o
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Code: Select all

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg |grep "menuentry '" |cut -c -45
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
RicCrouch

Post by RicCrouch »

There are some great replies in this thread, from the simple to the complex. I think it's important for everyone to remember as they answer questions in this forum that there is a WIDE range of Linux skill level passing through these virtual halls (especially on this board, "Newbie questions). While I'm more than comfortable dropping to a terminal and finding information, many are not. With the demise of Windows XP, a lot of newbies are in here looking for info on how to use Mint, because it's one of the best substitutes for former XP users. So, as you answer questions, it's worth taking a moment to get to know your audience .

And for those of you asking questions, it helps us give relevant answers if you give us some idea of where you are coming from as well.
kardo

Post by kardo »

linuxviolin wrote:You can also open the System Monitor. There is a tab 'System' where I guess you should have the Mint version, kernel version, Gnome version, processor, memory...
In my system (which turns out to be Linux Mint 17.1, Rebecca 64-bit) I found it under Preferences -> System Info.

Great to have this thread, started in 2009 and still helping in 2017! (and by the way, I'm one of those former Windows XP users)
colormar

Post by colormar »

Just open Terminal and write:
lsb_release -a
and press ENTER
Thats all.
Last edited by colormar on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Really old topic where everything has been said. Locked.

Return to “Beginner Questions”