Why do people want to be root?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chrisuk

Why do people want to be root?

Post by chrisuk »

Years ago, Windows started to introduce a slightly-more secure approach to user privileges. Users were encouraged not to use the Administrator account, but to setup a "Normal User" account. The dialog asking for a password every time you wanted to do anything was hated by everyone (not by me), but over time, it became a bit more refined, and most people got used to it.

Most new to Linux have come from Windows, and they are used to this password approach to performing administrative tasks in Windows by now... so why do they want to be root in Linux? Why do they complain about it so much? They must be used to it in Windows, so why the different attitude? Or did they all exclusively use the Administrator Account in Windows? (assuming that's even possible on Windows 8 and beyond).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why do people want to be root?

Post by xenopeek »

You'll have to ask them? We can only speculate ad infinitum :wink:
Faust

Post by Faust »

chrisuk wrote:Years ago, Windows started to introduce a slightly-more secure approach to user privileges. .....
I agree with what you wrote , but I would call it "a massively-more secure approach " , yet most Windows box owners reject it ,
as if they were being told that they weren't allowed to use sharp knives unsupervised :D .

New processes requiring elevation are going to pop dialog boxes , right in the user's face , and if they didn't knowingly start it , they shouldn't allow it .
What could be simpler or easier than that ?
Most of the current AV industry would not exist !
GNU/Linux adopts and enforces this policy from the ground up ( and wisely IMO ) , apart from a few specialized distros

"Why do people want to be root? "
It is very interesting as a philosophical question , and I believe it is directly connected to the Dunning–Kruger effect .....
... example : - nobody considers themselves to be a bad driver ( no matter how dangerous or incompetent they are in reality )
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

They like to live dangerously. It also gives them an excuse to run their AV every day looking for bad things they can remove. If successful, they feel they accomplished something. Keeps them from getting bored by just using a computer safely. It's also a social phenomenon, so they can gather in chat rooms and console each other for those who failed to recover their systems from some attack. It add excitement to their otherwise daily mundane lives.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It makes them feel like they're in charge.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Spearmint2 wrote:They like to live dangerously. It also gives them an excuse to run their AV every day looking for bad things they can remove. If successful, they feel they accomplished something. Keeps them from getting bored by just using a computer safely. It's also a social phenomenon, so they can gather in chat rooms and console each other for those who failed to recover their systems from some attack. It adds excitement to their otherwise daily mundane lives.
:lol: There are those who like to take a walk on the wild side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KaWSOlASWc

"thought she was James Dean for a day" :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

LOL, reminds me of this other song. I know this young guy back home who named his dog Lola, but had never heard the song.
So, I played it for him and his uncle was dying laughing when he realized how upset the nephew was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Faust

Post by Faust »

Moem wrote:It makes them feel like they're in charge.
Indeed it does !

There's an interesting parallel in today's auto industries ( or maybe it's a tangent ? - :? ) .

The would-be "owner" hands over their hard-earned Beer Tokens , in full payment and with "clear title" , only to find
that a lifetime spent acquiring the skills and tools to maintain and repair the vehicle have suddenly become useless !
Large parts of the system are effectively locked out to all but the authorized dealers
and it reminds me of some well-known " alternatives " to a Linux system .

There's a case going through the US courts about an owner's lack of right to modify , hack or even simply repair devices
that they have purchased outright .... ( not leased , work-related etc )

Hmm ... I thought I had wandered off-topic a little there ....
but then I noticed references to Lou Reed and The Kinks , so that's OK .... :D
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

Spearmint2 wrote:LOL, reminds me of this other song. I know this young guy back home who named his dog Lola, but had never heard the song.
So, I played it for him and his uncle was dying laughing when he realized how upset the nephew was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IUMCyAR6U0 (because someone had to :mrgreen: )
Don't stop where the ink does.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

not sure if you asking why would someone log in as root of if they want access to root partition files? i have always used root to edit my hosts or sudoers, copy and edit icons.
you should realize that the day developers end access to root is the day linux becomes closed like the Android phones. latest kde plasma started and is now completely non-root when it comes to the dolphin manager and kate text editor.
if you buy a car and the manufacturer removes access to your engine and you are not allowed to work on it and maintain it how you see fit, you have lost your freedom.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

trytip wrote:not sure if you asking why would someone log in as root of if they want access to root partition files? i have always used root to edit my hosts or sudoers, copy and edit icons.
you should realize that the day developers end access to root is the day linux becomes closed like the Android phones. latest kde plasma started and is now completely non-root when it comes to the dolphin manager and kate text editor.
if you buy a car and the manufacturer removes access to your engine and you are not allowed to work on it and maintain it how you see fit, you have lost your freedom.
Debian distros do not have a root user; system maintenance is done with `sudo`. If you have a Debian distro and it has a root user, then someone has hacked your machine.

People want root because they think it gives them more power. What it really does is give them access to dangerous things. Power: yes. Responsibility:more than most people feel comfortable with.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

shawnhcorey wrote:Debian distros do not have a root user; system maintenance is done with `sudo`. If you have a Debian distro and it has a root user, then someone has hacked your machine.
Wrong. When you install Debian you can choose to create a root account or not

Return to “Open Chat”