AMD graphic cards and Linux Mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
schmultruc

AMD graphic cards and Linux Mint

Post by schmultruc »

I took a lot of time to try to solve my issues with AMD drivers on Linux Mint. Whatever I tried, I failed to have my AMD R9 290 graphic card working well.
Let's go for explanations.

Out of the box, everything goes well with all apps in Linux Mint. Nothing to do if your don't want to play with Steam games.
I would like to play Wargame : European Escalation.

Because I had glitches, I decided to install amdgpu-pro. When I tried to install it, each time (for each version) I experienced a black screen at login (like a few other users here). I had to uninstall these drivers. Several times, after doing that, my graphic's config was weird (no driver used but working well...). I had a success one time (only one) with version 16.40. But Kodi 17 couldn't start anymore...
After this difficulties, I decided to update my graphic's config with Padoka, X-swat and oibaf ppa (not all at the same time ;-). I've got then two results :
- My graphic's config was totally broken.
- My game still had glitches.
Every time I tried, I installed a brand new Mint with all updates before doing anything with graphics drivers. I also tried with Mint Mate and Mint KDE with the same results. That takes a huge lot of time !!!

Because I'm curious, I tried to play my game with several other Linux configurations (each trial with a brand new install) :
- Ubuntu 16.04.3 with or without amdgpu-pro, oibaf, padoka or x-swat.
- Ubuntu 17.10 with or without oibaf, padoka or x-swat.
- Kubuntu 16.04.3 with or without oibaf, padoka or x-swat.
- Kubuntu 17.10 with or without oibaf, padoka or x-swat.
EVERY TIME, I was able to play my Steam games without any graphic's problems.

So I'm questioning all the community (and the devs ?) about what makes this situation possible. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. But it seems to have problems with AMD graphics cards.
Why ?
Should we change any information in config files ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ShadowMessiah

Re: AMD graphic cards and Linux Mint

Post by ShadowMessiah »

Which version of Mint? There's known issue of AMD drivers not working well on Mint 18 (or it's derivatives). AMD specifically released a patch for Ubuntu that has marginal success on Mint 18, with very specific cards.
schmultruc

Post by schmultruc »

All my tests have been done with both 18.2 and 18.3 Linux Mint.

As you can read, I made trials with AMD drivers AND open source ones. Nothing is good for my test game, except Ubuntu and its derivatives.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

schmultruc wrote: Because I'm curious, I tried to play my game with several other Linux configurations (each trial with a brand new install) :
- Ubuntu 16.04.3 with or without amdgpu-pro, oibaf, padoka or x-swat.
- Ubuntu 17.10 with or without oibaf, padoka or x-swat.
- Kubuntu 16.04.3 with or without oibaf, padoka or x-swat.
- Kubuntu 17.10 with or without oibaf, padoka or x-swat.
EVERY TIME, I was able to play my Steam games without any graphic's problems.
All those distros have one point in common. They fully implement the Ubuntu HWE stack that upgrades the kernel, the xserver and all the open source drivers including AMDGPU. Mint's 18.x graphics stack is just plain out of date.

You can either use one of those distros, or install the HWE fully in Mint. If you do the latter, stop using the Mint update manager and use the command line to always fully upgrade each and every package.

The command to fully update the stack is

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04
ShadowMessiah

Post by ShadowMessiah »

Also, if you haven't yet, read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059

In short, AMD graphics cards and Mint 18 is a crap combination under pretty much all circumstances. It's why I'm still on 17.3.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

ShadowMessiah wrote:Also, if you haven't yet, read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059

In short, AMD graphics cards and Mint 18 is a crap combination under pretty much all circumstances. It's why I'm still on 17.3.
I'm using an a12 8800b APU with the open source AMDGPU drivers and it's fine. I switched to oibaf PPA for better gaming performance.

The fact that the OP has a functional system under Ubunu 16.04.3 or 17.10 tells me he needs xerserver 1.19 or higher and fairly new kernel like 4.10.

Older AMD GPUs are fine.
schmultruc

Post by schmultruc »

mr_raider wrote:All those distros have one point in common. They fully implement the Ubuntu HWE stack that upgrades the kernel, the xserver and all the open source drivers including AMDGPU. Mint's 18.x graphics stack is just plain out of date.

You can either use one of those distros, or install the HWE fully in Mint. If you do the latter, stop using the Mint update manager and use the command line to always fully upgrade each and every package.
So, if I well understand, after such a modification, I won't be able to use built-in app but only apt by typing "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get upgrade" or dist-upgrade ?
If it is the only inconvenience, I'll do a trial. Otherwise, I shall change and swap to Ubuntu :-(
schmultruc

Post by schmultruc »

So ! I just tried to switch a fresh new LM 18.3 install to hwe. I followed the instructions here above.

The result :
- the system works fine with apps.
- I obtained the worst result ever with my test game. It was impossible to do anything due to a lot of glitches.

I'm afraid that LM is definitively out of date with graphics management...
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

schmultruc wrote:So ! I just tried to switch a fresh new LM 18.3 install to hwe. I followed the instructions here above.

The result :
- I obtained the worst result ever with my test game. It was impossible to do anything due to a lot of glitches.

Dont' give up yet. If you have already installed the HWE, try installing the following PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+a ... ter=xenial

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates
I'm using 16.04.3 with that repo with good results.

You can still use the Mint update manager after installin the HWE stack, but make all updates 1-5 visible and apply them all everytime. Cherry picking levels will bork things.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

schmultruc wrote:So ! I just tried to switch a fresh new LM 18.3 install to hwe. I followed the instructions here above.

The result :

Are you trying to run a game that needs 32-bit? 18.2/3 don't have 32-bit architecture inbuilt now. You need to install ia32-libs, from synaptic, and, if it's a GOG game, they have dependencies if a 32-bit version. :)
schmultruc

Post by schmultruc »

Hello all !

@ mr_raider
Thank you for your advices.
I have installed x-swat repositories and done all updates -> fail : the game don't have a nicer aspect.
So, with a 18.3, hwe installed and all new mesa and hwe installed, nothing is OK for playing this game.

@ArtGirl
The game is a Steam one. So I guess a 64 bit version.
It is able to run smoothly without any problem under a standard Ubuntu distro.

I begin to think to switch to Ubuntu...
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

schmultruc wrote:Hello all !

@ mr_raider
I have installed x-swat repositories and done all updates -> fail : the game don't have a nicer aspect.
So, with a 18.3, hwe installed and all new mesa and hwe installed, nothing is OK for playing this game.

@ArtGirl

I use POL and wine, and can even run Enemy Front, Tombraider, Crysis, and all manner of games, absolutely fine, so it could be a broken Steam game, or something to do with hardware/software needing configuring correctly, or needing to install a newer kernel. I'm on an older card than yours, using the correct Driver Manager, which I switch on first before any updates, LM/x-swat/kernel or otherwise. What is the test game?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

schmultruc wrote:Hello all !

@ mr_raider

@ArtGirl

There is no shame in that. Ubuntu's HWE stacks and non LTS versions exist for a reason, support of newer hardware. Maybe Mint 19 will resolve the issue.

Try Ubuntu-Mate 17.10 its pretty sharp looking.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Sorry, what do you mean by "nicer aspect"? do you mean the scren ratio 4:3 vs 16:9?

What desktop environment did you try in Mint?
schmultruc

Post by schmultruc »

The game test is Wargame : European Escalation.

not a nicer aspect = a lot of glitches. Ratio is fine.
My DE under Mint is Cinnamon.

I wait now for Mint 19 and I will have a look at Ubuntu KDE.
Because I'm now pretty sure that something's wrong between Mint and graphic configuration, I stop all trails. Maybe I have a particular config or graphic card.

Thanks for all your replies !
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

schmultruc wrote:The game test is Wargame : European Escalation.

not a nicer aspect = a lot of glitches. Ratio is fine.
My DE under Mint is Cinnamon.

I wait now for Mint 19 and I will have a look at Ubuntu KDE.
Because I'm now pretty sure that something's wrong between Mint and graphic configuration, I stop all trails. Maybe I have a particular config or graphic card.

Thanks for all your replies !
Look for a setting in Cinnamon that disables the compositor in full screen mode. It exists in KDE and XFCE, and is sometimes called direct rendering. Cinnamon has an extremely aggressive compositor and has given me graphical issues in the past. I use KDE since it deactivates desktop effects in full screen mode, or you can manually toggle effects.

I have experimented with KDE neon and the x swat package repo and it runs my GOG games fine. Interestingly it uses a 16.04.3 base.
zorbama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zorbama »

I would like to add that I had a certain level of success on Mint 18.3 when I installed amdgpu-pro, removed xserver-xorg-video-radeon and xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and renamed the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu-pro.conf to 10-amdgpu-pro.conf.bak. That solved the black screen issue, and I was able to play CSGO and Serious Sam 3 without problem after that.
Here's a thread describing the problem and the process: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=258145
"Inspiring quote" -Inspiring Person
schmultruc

Post by schmultruc »

zorbama wrote:I would like to add that I had a certain level of success on Mint 18.3 when I installed amdgpu-pro, removed xserver-xorg-video-radeon and xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and renamed the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu-pro.conf to 10-amdgpu-pro.conf.bak. That solved the black screen issue, and I was able to play CSGO and Serious Sam 3 without problem after that.
Here's a thread describing the problem and the process: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=258145
Well done ! that works fine, both Cinnamon and my test game.
I applied your procedure, except that I had no such file in xorg.conf directory.

:)
zorbama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zorbama »

schmultruc wrote:
zorbama wrote:I would like to add that I had a certain level of success on Mint 18.3 when I installed amdgpu-pro, removed xserver-xorg-video-radeon and xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and renamed the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu-pro.conf to 10-amdgpu-pro.conf.bak. That solved the black screen issue, and I was able to play CSGO and Serious Sam 3 without problem after that.
Well done ! that works fine, both Cinnamon and my test game.
I applied your procedure, except that I had no such file in xorg.conf directory.

:)
Glad I could help. :)
"Inspiring quote" -Inspiring Person

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”