"The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' failed to install into /target/."

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kukamuumuka

Re: "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' failed to install into /target/."

Post by kukamuumuka »

julian1 wrote:
/etc/lsb-release:

Code: Select all

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=serena
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18.1 Serena"
Are you sure that you talk about grub menu instead of plymouth text?

cat /lib/plymouth/themes/mint-text/mint-text.plymouth
julian1

Post by julian1 »

administrollaattori wrote:
julian1 wrote:
/etc/lsb-release:

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=serena

I'm talking about the very first boot menu, i.e. a black screen with the header

GNU GRUB version ...
and the following text entries:

Ubuntu
Advanced options for Ubuntu
Memory test (...)
Memory test (...)
Microsoft Windows ...
The plymouth file is not present in my system (cat says no such file).
I had never previously tried to install Ubuntu or any other linux-distro but Mint on this laptop, which is brand new.
julian1

[SOLVED] "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' failed to install into /target/."

Post by julian1 »

administrollaattori wrote:
julian1 wrote:
/etc/lsb-release:

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=serena

I installed kernel update 4.4.0-77.98 and a firmware update which appeared in Update Manager. When I rebooted, the problem was solved. It seems that it was a firmware problem.
jxhan

Post by jxhan »

Just had this grub installer problem with mint 18.2 kde.

Spent an hour to find the solution: connect to the internet before installing!

The installer actually tried to fetch the grub package during installation. When it failed to do so (logged in /var/syslog), it emits the error message of "fail to install into /target".
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ jxhan, .......
jxhan wrote:.
Did you install with Secure Boot enabled or disabled.?

AFAIK, the 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' is only needed to be downloaded and installed from the Internet if Secure Boot had been enabled, ie not needed if SB had been disabled.

Secure Boot came together with UEFI technology for the 2012-released Win 8 and was implemented by M$ on nearly all new OEM Windows computers. Secure Boot requires a bootloader to be signed by M$'s Verisign before it can be installed and the certificate signing service cost about US$100 per year. Ubuntu, Fedora, LM, etc had to pay to get their EFI bootloaders signed or approved, supposedly as non-malware. Minor Linux distros who could not afford to pay this yearly signing fee to M$'s Verisign require Secure Boot to be disabled before their bootloaders can be installed.

Initially in 2012, M$ wanted Secure Boot to be permanently enabled on new OEM Windows computers but they backed down after much opposition from the tech industry. Certain Surface devices from M$ have Secure Boot permanently enabled, eg ARM-based Surface RT. M$ will soon be introducing ARM-based Win 10 Surface devices. Will Secure Boot in such devices be permanently enabled.?

With the 2015-released Win 10, M$ told the OEMs that it is up to their discretion whether they want to have Secure Boot permanently enabled. Seems, a few of the OEMs are trying to make Secure Boot permanently enabled for their new 2017 computers by not allowing non-Windows EFI bootloaders to be installed. After much complaints from consumers, the OEMs issued BIOS firmware updates to allow the booting of non-Windows EFI bootloaders.

Most Surface devices have UEFI permanently enabled, ie cannot use Legacy BIOS mode for OS installation, purportedly required because of the Connected Standby feature for mobile devices. So, beware.
jxhan

Post by jxhan »

michael louwe wrote:@ jxhan, .......

Did you install with Secure Boot enabled or disabled.?

AFAIK, the 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' is only needed to be downloaded and installed from the Internet if Secure Boot had been enabled, ie not needed if SB had been disabled.
Yes I have Secure Boot disabled.

B.T.W., with SB enabled I was given a chance to disable it with a password during installation. So I suppose if that password stuff works, it should be able to disable SB by itself? Anyway, I have manually disabled SB after failing to install a few times and it still didn't solve the problem. I got the hint from here

https://askubuntu.com/questions/789998/ ... ion-target
Franklin, check your /var/log/syslog, probably there are just before "grub-installer: info: Calling 'apt-install grub-efi-amd64-signed' failed" some lines like "Unable to locate package grub-efi-amd64-signed" and "Unable to locate package shim-signed". Probably Installer failed to reach deb packages from the "cdrom" (usb flash)? – osgx May 8 at
And my log file did complain about failing to download grub. Connecting to the internet finally sovled the problem.
happyusers

Post by happyusers »

Hi,
I am on the way to install Mint cinnamon 32 bits18.3 on a 10" atom computer with SSD (30Go).
I would like to install it side to side with W10. I had trouble booting the live USB version with UEFI but now it's done. I used what is described here : viewtopic.php?f=42&t=216857
When I press ESC during boot, I access a boot menu and am able to choose USB UEFI device. The OS starts OK and everything is running great. Unfortunately, any attempt of installation aborts with the message "Echec installation de grub2/ le paquet grub-efi-ia32 n'a pu être installé dans /target/". Note that in my case the package is not mentionned as being signed.
I should add that the computer is not connected to the internet (wifi problem to be solved - Realtek RTL8723bs) and that secure boot seems to be on. I thought that the .ISO was corrupted but I tried with Lubuntu and Ubuntu without success. Would you suggest some remedy to that hopeless situation? Thank you for any advice.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

happyusers wrote:Hi,
I am on the way to install Mint cinnamon 32 bits18.3 on a 10" atom computer with SSD (30Go).
If you have 32 GB SSD, bare Windows 10 will choke within a year for lacking the space. Better to remove Windows 10 or change a bigger hard drive.

Mint installation can be tricky, but LMDE should work.

PS. I have two Atom-CPU mini laptops, and both of them are running fine with 64-bit LMDE Mate.
happyusers

Post by happyusers »

Thank you administrollattori, I shall try LMDE on a blank SSD, keeping my W10 installation untouched. I suppose the installation will be simpler that way. Would you have some retailer prefered to buy a basic SSD 32 gb ?
By the way, do you think the present version of LMDE incorporates a driver for Realtek wifi device? I have found a way to construct the module but do not understand clearly what the author means by switch to the latest version of kernel and jessie backports...
https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/wik ... -GNU-Linux
Would that step be mandatory with the newer version of LMDE or is that driver too old to be useful?
Furthermore, it seems impossible to install a new driver on a live version of the OS without rebooting and loosing the mods? So I have to undertake a blind install without the help of internet?
happyusers

Post by happyusers »

I have made one step further. I have built an USB stick that boots LMDE on my notebook. But...
When I try to install it, I get an incomplete screen where I cannot see the buttons Previous Next OK. I can choose the install options but cannot progress from one screen to the other. I have tried to resize the window but it is unresizable, nor is it movable to reach the bottom part. I went blindly to the point where I have to choose how to partition the drive but it is too dangerous to go on that way. What can I do to reach those buttons in order to proceed?
Edit : thank you administrollaattori, it works. I try an install and keep you informed.
Last edited by happyusers on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

happyusers wrote:I have made one step further. I have built an USB stick that boots LMDE on my notebook. But...
When I try to install it, I get an incomplete screen where I cannot see the buttons Previous Next OK. I can choose the install options but cannot progress from one screen to the other. I have tried to resize the window but it is unresizable, nor is it movable to reach the bottom part. I went blindly to the point where I have to choose how to partition the drive but it is too dangerous to go on that way. What can I do to reach those buttons in order to proceed?
Press Alt key and drag the windows using mouse, so you can reach the buttons. :wink:
MapleLeaf

Post by MapleLeaf »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm Try installing without an Internet connection (disable any wifi connection / disconnect the network cable). There is an issue affect some users where GRUB fails to install when connected to the Internet.
Xenopeek, I have had the same error when trying to install Mint 19 XFCE on Acer E15 (dual-boot, UEFI mode) (July 2018). Disabling Wireless, and re-installing Mint solved the problem.

What is the source of this issue? (Mint installer seemed to find / determine the EF00 partition correctly).

Thank you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

From the updated Linux Mint 19 release notes:
An issue in the package ubuntu-system-adjustments prevents EFI installations from completing successfully when the computer is connected to the Internet. This issue was fixed in the repositories but it still affects the ISO installation images.

Until new ISO installation images are made, please perform the installation offline (i.e. do not connect to the Internet from the live session or from the installer).
bxd567

Post by bxd567 »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm Try installing without an Internet connection (disable any wifi connection / disconnect the network cable). There is an issue affect some users where GRUB fails to install when connected to the Internet.
I got this error trying to install linux mint 10 mate 64 to a UEFI formatted USB 3.0 drive. After numerous attempts, it turned out that pulling network cable on my desktop PC while I ran the install is what fixed it. Over a year later this is still a bug
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

bxd567 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:45 am
I got this error trying to install linux mint 10 mate 64 to a UEFI formatted USB 3.0 drive. After numerous attempts, it turned out that pulling network cable on my desktop PC while I ran the install is what fixed it. Over a year later this is still a bug
Linux Mint released a v2 of the ISO that should fix the issue. It is actually a different bug as many people had no issues installing Linux Mint on EFI machines before July 10
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Locking this—over a year old­—topic as it is unrelated to the issue that affected the old Linux Mint 19 ISOs. For anybody using the old Linux Mint 19 ISOs please see <FIXED> Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only.

Return to “Installation & Boot”