Thinkpad W520 Dual monitors with Intel GPU

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sakrayaami

Thinkpad W520 Dual monitors with Intel GPU

Post by sakrayaami »

Hello Everyone,

I am having an old Thinkpad W520 with external Nvidia Quadro 1000m video and Intel build in video card.
My nvidia opimus works like a charm and with a simple log off I'm able to switch between the two GPUs.

My biggest problem is coming from the fact that I'm unable to use dual display (the laptop screen + external display) when I have my Intel GPU set as primary.

Do you think that there is a way to make this work, to use dual monitor setup using only the intel gpu and lets say the vga output or display port ?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sakrayaami

Re: Thinkpad W520 Dual monitors with Intel GPU

Post by sakrayaami »

Hi again,

I'm sorry but I would like to bring this topic up a bit.
Currently not only that I can't use a second monitor with my intel card, but also the temperature of my W520 is going up to 90 degrees C when I turn on the nvidia card with a second monitor.
My current nvidia quadro 1000m is using the recommended Nvidia driver, I have turned off the hyper threading of the CPU in the bios, and I have set all there is to performance and battery saving.

Does anyone have any ideas or insights what I can do in order to solve this thing, I am a huge fan of linux mint, and this is something that is really problematic :(

Thank you.

Return to “Hardware Support”