Creating a boot disc for my current system (VM related)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zoharl

Creating a boot disc for my current system (VM related)

Post by zoharl »

I installed mint on a USB 3.0 pen drive. I'd like to use it inside a virtual machine (VMWare). It seems that those I tried (virtualbox, hyper-v), while supporting USB 3.0 (requiring kernel 3), they don't support booting from it. Currently, I reverted to using the slow USB 2.0, using plpbt (I can't find a similar app that supports USB 3.0).

An elegant solution that I'm considering is to boot my system from a disc image (.iso), but I'm not sure how to do that. It seems like the way to go is creating a customized live disc, but I was wondering if there's an easier way. I'd like to create an iso (which a VM has no problem booting), which would be minimal: It would contain the boot loader, kernel, and essentials to load my os and have a support for usb 3.0; from there it would continue running as usual from the pendrive.
Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Creating a boot disc for my current system (VM related)

Post by Mute Ant »

If your virtual machine doesn't present physical USB3 ports as virtual USB3 ports, the guest software won't see USB3, even if it has drivers for it.

In 2016, when I last looked, syslinux and GRUB lacked internal USB3 drivers. GRUB would use the (virtual) BIOS to search for the kernel.
zoharl

Re: Creating a boot disc for my current system (VM related)

Post by zoharl »

It does have usb3, but only after the system is loaded (needs kernel 3). Meaning, if, for example, I boot from a live cd and set the usb port to 3.0 (in the VM settings), then I am able to mount and use the stick as usb 3 (speed and all).

Return to “Installation & Boot”