Dell inspiron 5379 - SSD disk not visible in linux (SOLVED).

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dellInspiron5379

Dell inspiron 5379 - SSD disk not visible in linux (SOLVED).

Post by dellInspiron5379 »

Hello,

tried to install Mint18.3 on Dell Inspiron 5379 ( i7-8550U, 16GB DDR4, 512 GB SSD) with windows 10 preinstalled. I am trying to purge windows and want to intall linux mint 18.3 cinnamon on that laptop. The laptop hardware specs can be found here:
http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-13-53 ... n-1-laptop

I can boot into Linux mint live CD, but if i try to install the system i get an error that the computer has only 0.0 B disk space available. The SSD is not visible in GParted. The 'lsblk' command does not list the ssd. I installed lsscsi to list all SATA devices and it shows only the USB CD-ROM with the live CD, but not the SSD disk.
The only hint that something went wrong during the boot sequence is the following in the dmesg output
"ahci 000:00:17.0: controller rest failed (0x80000001)"

I searched for threads with a similar problem and found this https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2359208

In BIOS i have selected "system configuration" -> "SATA operation" > AHCI (SATA is configured for AHCI mode)
My BIOS does not seem to give me the option to "disable raid" nor can i disable "Intel SRT" The SSD disk is visible in BIOS (SATA-0 device ID: SAMSUNG SSD PM871b 2.5 7mm 512GB) , and i can boot into windows 10. So there is no hardware error with the disk.

I tried also to use an ARCH linux live CD since it has a newer kernel (4.13 vs 4.10 in Mint 18.3) but the behavior is identical, i even got the same error in dmesg "ahci 000:00:17.0: controller rest failed (0x80000001)"

I tried to boot with "nvme_load=YES" option, but again no effect.

Any ideas what i could try to make that SSD disk visible under linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Dell inspiron 5379 - SSD disk not visible in linux.

Post by michael louwe »

@ dellinspiron5379, .......
dellinspiron5379 wrote:...
Please try the fix at ... http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... t/19659260

You have a very new Intel 8th-gen processor which may not be fully supported by LM 18.3. Try upgrading the Linux kernel to kernel 4.13 or 4.14.
dellInspiron5379

Re: Dell inspiron 5379 - SSD disk not visible in linux.

Post by dellInspiron5379 »

I tried the things from the thread you suggested, but it did not help. The BIOS on my DELL Inpsiron 5379 has no "RAID" option for the SATA controller. I can only disable SATA completely or set it into AHCI mode.

Yesterday i made some tests. I wanted to see if the issue is caused by the live CD, BIOS or maybe the SSD disk with windows 10 on it. So i simply opened the laptop, unmounted the original SSD disk and replaced it with a another one i had laying around (With linux on it already). I rebooted the laptop booting from the live CD, but the new SSD is still not visible.... so the issue is not caused by the win10 SSD.

Funny thing is... at first i forgot to plug in the CD drive with the live CD while booting and viola the system attempted to boot from inserted SSD (which didnt succeed because there was an old linux version on it). So the good news is.... found a workaround!!!

Today i took the original SSD that came with the DELL laptop, inserted it into another old laptop, wiped win10, installed Linux Mint 18.3, updated the kernel to 4.14.4, reinserted the SSD into into the new DELL laptop and booted.... and voila! It appears everything is working. :)

Can we mark this thread as solved?
michael louwe

Re: Dell inspiron 5379 - SSD disk not visible in linux (SOLVED).

Post by michael louwe »

@ dellinspiron5379, .......
dellinspiron5379 wrote:I can boot into Linux mint live CD, but if i try to install the system i get an error that the computer has only 0.0 B disk space available.
Just in case, and for future reference, the problem may be related to this ... https://askubuntu.com/questions/912510/ ... space?rq=1

Return to “Installation & Boot”