Is it possible to change the battery charge setting on a G500s running Linux Mint 18.3?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
redshirtsteve
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to change the battery charge setting on a G500s running Linux Mint 18.3?

Post by redshirtsteve » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Is it possible to change the battery charge setting on a G500s running Linux Mint 18.3? My battery only charges to 59%, and I would love to up that.

Thanks for any and all advice!

redshirtsteve
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is it possible to change the battery charge setting on a G500s running Linux Mint 18.3?

Post by redshirtsteve » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 pm

That is, a Lenovo G500s computer.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Is it possible to change the battery charge setting on a G500s running Linux Mint 18.3?

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:57 am

"Is it possible to change the battery charge setting on a G500s running Linux Mint 18.3?" If you want to switch the charger circuit circuit setting from "Cautious" to "Commando" and it's stored in the hardware, your BIOS screen might help. If it's a built-in-to-Windows function, you lose it when you boot Mint. I don't have a G500 to play with.

There's a few tricks here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... al_hydride

If you can spare half a day without your computer, pretend it's a new battery you have fitted and the hardware needs to determine new 'empty' and 'full' marks. The manual for your computer really should have a section for this, if not...

Reset 'Empty' Mark: Reboot into a BIOS screen and run the machine on battery power until it switches itself off through lack of power supply.

Reset 'Full' Mark: With the machine kept switched off, connect the charger cable and let the battery charge to maximum.

I would allow at least 8 hours for it to do the job, your computer manual might suggest 12 or 16 hours, or there might be a colour-change lamp to indicate 'full'.

With 'idiot' charger hardware, there will be no change at all. You will have to remember that 59% means 'full' and 5% means 'empty'. With a 'smart' charger and a bit of good luck, Mint will boot and show 100% for full and 1% for 'shutdown'.
Right at the bottom, all alone in the centre of the bright cold floor, was a lemon drop.

Return to “Hardware Support”