Tooltips will not go away using .gtkrc-2.0

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trash man

Tooltips will not go away using .gtkrc-2.0

Post by trash man »

Hi,

Just installed a fresh MATE 18.3

Did the common .gtkrc-2.0 (gtk-enable-tooltips = 0) in my home folder

Stupid annoying tooltips will not go away??

Because this was the first thing i did after install, I though maybe some corruption somewhere and installed again, same thing... tooltips will no go??

Anyone had the same issue and know of a solution?

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trash man

Re: Tooltips will not go away using .gtkrc-2.0

Post by trash man »

Or does anyone know how to adjust mouse hover time... so tooltips might pop up after say 5secs?? Cheers
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

In which applications do you still see tooltips? They could be gtk3 applications like Firefox or Google Chrome or Synaptic, etc. IIRC, Mate went pure gtk3 some time ago. I don't use it myself and so can't confirm.

If gtk3 applications are involved, look at https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable ... tings.html because some stuff has been deprecated and ignored in more recent gtk3 versions.

Edit: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/mate ... 3[quote]As of this update the entire MATE desktop experience is now GTK3+ only, and GTK2+ code has been dropped.[/quote]
Last edited by aes2011 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
trash man

Post by trash man »

Tooltips just on your desktop.. e.g if mouse hovers over Menu.. yellow tooltip pops up tells you is the Linux Mint Sylvia 18.3 Menu.. bit pointless really and annoying.

Firefox does the same but can fix that one in firefox about:config, chrome.. apparently no fix for that..

gtk-enable-tooltips is now not a working command..

somehow now have to change a gtk tooltips gboolean string to false.. any ideas??

Use my pc's for work all day, like them running smooth and fast without annoying things like tooltip pop ups...

couple of little things to sort out with the latest mint.. then time to refresh my other work pc in the shed.

Cheers
trash man

Post by trash man »

Re Installed Mint MATE 18.. .gtkrc-2.0 (gtk-enable-tooltips = 0) still works with 18.
terry_g
Level 1
Level 1

Post by terry_g »

I am running Mint 18.2 with the mate desktop. I also find tooltips annoying.
With Fedora I was able to use dconf-editor to get rid of them.
I installed dconf-editor and gconf-editor but could not find tooltips in either one.

Where is the file that needs to be edited located?

Thanks in advance.
Terry

Return to “MATE”